What to get with NI maschine? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to get with NI maschine?
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What to get with NI maschine?

Hi Guys!

Im buying a native instruments machine mk2 and I am looking for some advice on what to get with it. Im producing house and techno so Im using mostly samples and synths. I want to make as proffessionally sounding stuff as I can.
So what to get. I would really appriciate some help.

1. An audio interface. Something from focusrite or maybe natives komplete audio 6? something else?
Stuff to connect: Maschine and a midi keyboard and also a mic. Perhaps electric guitar and v-drums.

2. Get komplete 9? I guess the effects plugins and some of the synths would be the most interesting things. Although massive seems like it would cover my basic needs in terms of syths and maschine studio also comes with some effects and compression etc. Not sure they are any good though. Is it worth it?
And its so frickin huge! I only have a 500Gb hardrive (though not impossible to get an extra).

3. Ableton? If I want to make the tracks sound as good as possible. I can do some mixing, but final mastering and stuff is a bit ( not a tiny bit) over my head right now.

4. keyboard. 49 keys. nothing to fancy.

(Setup until now: Propellerhead reason, novation xio, yamaha monitors)

Thanks!
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
In would get Komplete 9 but not install everything. There's some crossover in samples. I only installed some of the Kontakt libraires and didn't install the Battery library. But I like to make my drums sounds from scratch through synthesis and sampling breakbeats. I don't uses Maschine's on-board sounds either accept for the occasional cymbal or waveform.Other synths such as FM8 or Monark in Komplete could be useful and Guitar Rig 5 is useful for a lot of effects that Maschine can't do.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
maschine will hook up through usb so you don't need an audio interface for that, you might hold off on getting anything extra until you have some time to mess around with maschine and get a feel for what it does and doesn't offer you. You may find that you don't really like working in maschine for creating entire tracks in which case you could then check out ableton. Or you may find that massive, or any of the many free vsts available, aren't doing it for you so you may want komplete.
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, just installing some parts of komplete in case i get it. Thing is theres this bundle with maschine and komplete for 795 euro, thats why i am considering it right away. Native Instruments Maschine MK2 Black Komplete 9 - Thomann UK
Otherwise I would just have started with maschine.
Wont I need an audio interface to hook up monitors and reduce latency? My Xio (combined audio interface and keyboard) is not always cooperating these days. Driver stops working and mod wheel is a litte off.
How far can you get in the production in just maschine? Ideally I would just use one DAW (dont know if maschine is considered one).
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
you gotta pay to play.
Old 14th March 2014
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would stick with Maschine on it's own for the time being. There's more than enough to get you going.
Komplete 9 if you need anything in there.
I believe you still get Massive free with maschine so that's one synth covered.
The new drum syntesis is very versatile.
The rest of the sound shaping is going to be down to what ever synth you find you like, so demo what you think you need.
A lot of what you may want will be down to plugins, effects processing. Something like Vengeance (which is elicenser) are good for the genre.
Alternatively demo all the uhe plugins from Ace, Zebra to their filters and effects.
All said and done you will probably get Komplete and use a fraction of it.
Monark is superb for bass.
goodluck
Old 14th March 2014
Deleted b788fee
If you have a Mac you will have garageband, which is a good DAW and can run Maschine as a plug-in if you want to record proper audio tracks ...
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
crazy $799 for Machine AND Komplete 9. No brainer in my opinion. Expires at the end of march.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...rce=newsletter
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
You could easily produce 'pro' quality house and techno with just Maschine (and massive). The first limitation you'd run into would probably we workflow and sequencing rather than sound palette. So I'd go with Maschine and Ableton. The complicating factor is that damned good offer NI is doing for komplete and Maschine at the mo.

Which sound card depends on how many audio in-outs you need.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➡️
crazy $799 for Machine AND Komplete 9. No brainer in my opinion. Expires at the end of march.

Dynamic Duo | Specials
Thats one of those sales I shoot myself in the foot over missing out on.

Ya listen to Myrok and save yourself some bucks in the future.
If you aren't using anything that requires an interface then hang on for a bit.
Learn your maschine and new plugins first, get your guitar and mic later, you will at least be able to get all the bread and butter to work with.
The NI audio6 is definately quite a bit of bang for its buck when you need an interface. I have alot of hardware synths so im pushing its limits of ins and outs and could go bigger soon. But it was worth it when I started my rig and still holds up today.

Also. Get this stuff in chunks, thats why I am urging on the maschine/komplete setup first.
Its not just about money, but about being overwhelmed with too much new stuff.
If you are wanting to jump right into ableton as well, thats a pretty hefty amount of money and learning to begin with. With komplete, you might not need to get Live9 Suite, stick with what komplete is providing you to trim cost off of Live9.

The other reason is that acquiring gear can be alot of fun and its nice to do it a few peices at a time rather than the whole lot at once.

(Your starting setup is very similar to what mine is; I used Reason, and an mpk mini keyboard. I had crap home audio speakers for 2 years so I think ur start is a little more robust than mine was. Also the direction you planned out is similar to mine as well; Maschine, 49 keys, ableton, audio6 interface. I went for the hardware synth road instead of getting Komplete using a minitaur and nord lead.)
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the help. I´ll Problably go with the maschine + komplete deal while it lasts. Seem pretty sweet. Altough I agree its good to have too much stuff. It gets a bit confusing. So an interface would just be for my studio monitors initially, and to get rid of latency(?). Ill start learning maschine and see if I need ableton down the road.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➡️

Dynamic Duo | Specials

I wonder if there is a similar bundle for Komplete and Maschine Studio?
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Define what you mean by professional (example track or artists). Gear is great for many things but hours spent grinding and education are the best tools when it comes to sounding "polished" in the DAW era.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maschine is easily had on eBay any day of the year for $399
Komplete is easily had on eBay for any day of the year for $399

That's $798 everyday of the year?
I don't get it?
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Pandar, some of my favorites right now include; MK, Erik Prydz, Mark Knight, Sebastien Leger, Sharam jey, Tube and Berger.
Schwarzwald, Ok, maybe ebay is something to look into. Not sure about buying second hand maschine tough.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floortom ➡️
Pandar, some of my favorites right now include; MK, Erik Prydz, Mark Knight, Sebastien Leger, Sharam jey, Tube and Berger.
Schwarzwald, Ok, maybe ebay is something to look into. Not sure about buying second hand maschine tough.
I'm not necessarily making a suggestion, except to reveal that NI's latest Maschine+Komplete offer isn't really an offer at all, and that you shouldn't be pressured to make a decision on it.

At any rate, I'd buy everything you listed and more.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzwald ➡️
Maschine is easily had on eBay any day of the year for $399
Komplete is easily had on eBay for any day of the year for $399

That's $798 everyday of the year?
I don't get it?
Yeah if you want to buy a used maschine and a sketchy komplete license then sure.
📝 Reply