Looking for edm drum patterns - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for edm drum patterns
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Looking for edm drum patterns

Hey guys, i'm looking for edm drumpatterns. I know i can listen to edm. But i was curious if there are any books/websites with drum patterns in electronic/edm pattern style?

What do you guys do to practice (edm) drum patterns? Just listen to songs, and try to do it yourself?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beat Dissected - Attack Magazine

heres a good place to start if you're new to drum programming
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
You could always put the song with a pattern you like in an audio track then try to mimic it in a separate track/tracks until you get something you like then make variations on that pattern.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Go to Amazon or your local book store and gets some books on drumming and learn the relationship between hi-hats, kick, and snares; they work together the same way no matter the genre. I'd recommend the Breakbeat Bible for starters but that may not be relevant depending on the style/genre of music you're making. If I want to steal a complicated break I'll sample it, break it down into 1/4 note or 1/8 not slices, then notate it and create a facsimile or beat inspired by my notation.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsound ➡️
What do you guys do to practice drum patterns? Just listen to songs, and try to do it yourself?
Yep
Old 13th March 2014
Deleted 00e8205
I make my own drum patterns. It's really easy when you know what works and what doesn't.

Sound design is the hard part.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I found programming drum patterns in the piano roll of a DAW quite tedious. Then I bought a second hand Electribe ER-1. Makes programming drum patterns so much faster and fun and I can just send and record the midi to my DAW. Probably the best 90 Euro's I ever spent on my studio.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 ➡️
I found programming drum patterns in the piano roll of a DAW quite tedious. Then I bought a second hand Electribe ER-1. Makes programming drum patterns so much faster and fun and I can just send and record the midi to my DAW. Probably the best 90 Euro's I ever spent on my studio.
Yes, I find programming drum patterns easier on grooveboxes, as well. Better still, imo, is a tracker. Try something like Renoise
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trannycrackhorse ➡️
Go to Amazon or your local book store and gets some books on drumming and learn the relationship between hi-hats, kick, and snares; they work together the same way no matter the genre.
I found this useful for that: Amazon.com: Drum Programming: A Complete Guide to Program and Think Like a Drummer eBook: Ray F. Badness: Kindle Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson ➡️
Beat Dissected - Attack Magazine

heres a good place to start if you're new to drum programming
Thank you, scottdavidson.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ray Badness' book is a good one. You should also check out this SOS tutorial series (and make sure to grab the PDF that goes with it!): Effective Drum Programming, Part 1
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Depends on genre really.

For me, I stick to a pretty traditional House pattern, 4 on the floor kick, with a snare/clap on the 2 and 4, and an off beat hat. But that's the music I do.

Outside of that is where I get creative. Frequently I'll make a 3 bar, yes 3 bar closed hat pattern and then play with a delay until it's grooving right. The delay being just right so the wet/dry are playing off one another. The 3 bar pattern creates something called metric dissonance. If everything is either 1, 2, or 4 bar patterns, you've pretty much heard everything after 4 bars. Using a 3 bar hat pattern, then maybe a 2.5 bar rimshot pattern, so everything is repeating itself at different intervals to create interest. Then get some different delays going like I said til things sound groovy. It usually is just a lot of messing around until it sounds good. I literally sometimes just punch in notes randomly, or play the pattern in by hand utilizing my poor timing which sometimes works well.

I use lots of weird, loud, odd ball percussive sounds with a ton of verb. Just out of nowhere have a sound like a stick hitting a plastic tube, or glass breaking. I love that ****.
📝 Reply