Elektron Overbridge - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Elektron Overbridge
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
wait a minute... we're talking analog instruments here, so if there is to be streaming over USB now, you need some kind of A/D conversion.. so , if Overbridge is oviously not about additional hardware, yet only an OS update, it basically means:

Analog Four and Analog Four Keys had to have a multi-channel ADC converter and USB audio interface built-in from day one, but it wasn't made public till now.. !!!

Bingo. Same as with the plus Drive in the A4. Apparently won't be extended to the OT as it was not built that way. Love the kudos they get for extending the functionality of existing products...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity ➑️
In general this is true for OSX, but the support has to be provided by the device manufacturer. I know one such device that I used to own does not let itself be part of an Aggregate (Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0).

I can't imagine Overdrive will lack this support however given Elektron's excellent track record.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. Worked/works for me with some MotU stuff.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I get what they're going for here. "Hey, it's REAL ANALOG that you can control like a VST!" It's a neat idea, and I like that it requires nothing but an OS update, but...why not fit the whole product line under this?

Interface/navigation is one of the biggest complaints towards Elektron's instruments. Making all of them as approachable as a VST would be a smart business goal. I understand that the MnM, MD and OT aren't equipped for this, but the former two are overdue for an update, and as popular as the OT is, I can see the MKII version coming out within a few years.

I personally would love to be able to make patches and warp samples ITB, Elektron-style, it's hard on the eyes having to glare at that tiny LED screen.

Last edited by Cool Tool; 13th March 2014 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: Typo
PES
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Tool ➑️
Interface/navigation is one of the biggest complaints towards Elektron's instruments.
According to those who don't buy their instrument. According to those who do, it's the selling points.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
void has just released his source code (laymans terms) for 'deep control' as well. or something along those lines -

Elektronauts - General Discussion - Elektron CTL Framework Open-Sauce
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
once again with the OT Rusty has already done a full featured editor, he just needs the OT file framework. If they dont give it to him I think we should starta petition. Would anyone get involved?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what it does do though back to the actual topic is make my a4 into a more easily integrated effects unit, the filters are crazy good on the a4.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma ➑️
once again with the OT Rusty has already done a full featured editor, he just needs the OT file framework. If they dont give it to him I think we should starta petition. Would anyone get involved?
yeah i glanced over this, hopefully it will happen!
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
wait a minute... we're talking analog instruments here, so if there is to be streaming over USB now, you need some kind of A/D conversion.. so , if Overbridge is oviously not about additional hardware, yet only an OS update, it basically means:

Analog Four and Analog Four Keys had to have a multi-channel ADC converter and USB audio interface built-in from day one, but it wasn't made public till now.. !!!

Kind of a classy move IMO. They get you to buy the product based on the merits of what is functional when they release it, while they continue fine tuning the planned features on their own time. Then, when they finish, you have even more functionality than you thought you were paying for. Compare that to the Tempest (inevitable, I love the Tempest but...), where things you might reasonably expect to be included at the time of purchase are only being finalized years after the machine hit the market. Elektron scores points, DSI tests patience. Heck, this means the A4 can be used as 2 extra channels of A/D for external signals if you aren't using the synth at any given time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f25ebd2 ➑️
Kind of a classy move IMO. They get you to buy the product based on the merits of what is functional when they release it, while they continue fine tuning the planned features on their own time. Then, when they finish, you have even more functionality than you thought you were paying for.
They had to have a long term strategy for this to work though. If they had just put in extra hardware capability into the A4 without ever expecting to capitalize on it, that would have been a very bad financial decision long term I would imagine. It still somewhat remains to be seen what the real impact to their business will be from this venture (i.e., will the increased goodwill from early A4 adopters, such as myself, translate into future sales that Elektron would otherwise have not seen?)

Speaking for myself, I will most definitely be getting an AR knowing that VST/AU integration is less than a year away. (and I don't even particularly use Live for very much other than recording... still worth it to me!)
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity ➑️
They had to have a long term strategy for this to work though. If they had just put in extra hardware capability into the A4 without ever expecting to capitalize on it, that would have been a very bad financial decision long term I would imagine. It still somewhat remains to be seen what the real impact to their business will be from this venture (i.e., will the increased goodwill from early A4 adopters, such as myself, translate into future sales that Elektron would otherwise have not seen?)

Speaking for myself, I will most definitely be getting an AR knowing that VST/AU integration is less than a year away. (and I don't even particularly use Live for very much other than recording... still worth it to me!)
Well for one thing, anybody considering the AR who was worried about having enough inputs on their recorder or interface may be more likely to buy it as a result of this announcement.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I was on the fence about the AR, but now I'm sold. Probably gonna get an A4 too in light of the announcement.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Kind of a classy move IMO. They get you to buy the product based on the merits of what is functional when they release it, while they continue fine tuning the planned features on their own time. Then, when they finish, you have even more functionality than you thought you were paying for. Compare that to the Tempest (inevitable, I love the Tempest but...), where things you might reasonably expect to be included at the time of purchase are only being finalized years after the machine hit the market. Elektron scores points, DSI tests patience. Heck, this means the A4 can be used as 2 extra channels of A/D for external signals if you aren't using the synth at any given time.
I did not want to make my usual public criticisms of DSI and how the tempest has gone but it's text book good and bad business practice. One approach has been awful and coloured my opinion of a company so that I sold all but one of their products I own. The other makes me want to buy more of their products.

And I do also think it's ok to promise on future features but you do of course need to deliver to a schedule if you take that approach. Basic PR and customer relations.

DSI have largely paved the way for all of the analogue products we're enjoying now, they have been the company who have proven the market exists.

They do need to up their game as the bar has been raised by many others.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone ➑️
Don't all DAW's only allow for one audio interface at a time?
It would really suck to have to switch interfaces just to work with the elektron machines by themselves, no?
You can use multiple interfaces at once on OSX natively, and on Windows with ASIOI4ALL. Both increase latency though.

However, if you are just using Overbridge to route multi-channel audio in out of the A4/AK/AR via USB using the VST in your DAW then you will only need to use one audio interface.

Overbridge turning the A4/AK/AR in to an audio interface is a separate feature.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Heck, this means the A4 can be used as 2 extra channels of A/D for external signals if you aren't using the synth at any given time.
I wonder how much of the A4's sound/feeling will impart during this A/D process? (i know osc/filt/fx make most of the sound, but it would be great to have an extra flavour for running stuff through)
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell ➑️
You can use multiple interfaces at once on OSX natively, and on Windows with ASIOI4ALL. Both increase latency though.

However, if you are just using Overbridge to route multi-channel audio in out of the A4/AK/AR via USB using the VST in your DAW then you will only need to use one audio interface.

Overbridge turning the A4/AK/AR in to an audio interface is a separate feature.
I suspected this would be the case, hoped it would be too, as when I tried aggregating devices I experienced latency. I'm very happy with my audio interface (Apogee Duet 2), have the balanced outs connected directly to monitors, and the last thing I want is to start messing with what I've got. Fingers crossed that you are right.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav ➑️
No, I doubt I could do that successfully.
You probably could with your Virus with ASIO4ALL which allows aggregation of audio interfaces.

Quote:
So if were talking about the Elektron A4 getting audio through USB into the DAW, while using another interface, I can't see why not. Probably be able to send audio through one of those 4 analog tracks too, as one of the OSC's can give way to the audio inputs.
Yes it's bi-directional, and they say in the video that it's 4 mono outputs plus the stereo output, and I assume the input can be stereo since it is on the hardware.

I will be great to have say 3 mono tracks routed from the A4 to my DAW, route a stereo track from my DAW to the A4 to process with filters/FX, then route that back on the stereo output to my DAW, all via USB.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Exactly.

Also don't quite grasp the 'send audio from DAW over usb to for processing with no timing problems' bit.......if the processing is analog (=whole point) there has to be conversion times two, which causes latency.....????
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Exactly.

Also don't quite grasp the 'send audio from DAW over usb to for processing with no timing problems' bit.......if the processing is analog (=whole point) there has to be conversion times two, which causes latency.....????
I suppose if they know the latency then they build it into the plugin so it reports to the DAW...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
I suppose if they know the latency then they build it into the plugin so it reports to the DAW...
Yes.

You surely now have to take the A4 plunge btw?!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
Indeed, as they have their own plugin on the end they will be able to compensate themselves properly, regardless of the DAW. Silly me......

Pretty sexy behaviour then, really......
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I found that difficult to understand, how there companies like Elektron that are so sensitive to user needs, bring amazing products, give us all those extra hidden features for free.
And there is companies like Roland that have no clue.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Btw, anyone has a clue whether it's usb2 or usb3 ?
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would hope usb3.

I think the virus Ti hit problems as it couldn't handle the audio streaming over the USB fast enough. Can't recall whether that was 1 or 2 but it wasn't good enough whatever it was.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
Btw, anyone has a clue whether it's usb2 or usb3 ?
The port is USB2. I don't think they have any tricks to upgrade it to 3. (But you never know with Elektron )
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump ➑️
I would hope usb3.

I think the virus Ti hit problems as it couldn't handle the audio streaming over the USB fast enough. Can't recall whether that was 1 or 2 but it wasn't good enough whatever it was.
I have virus ti2 , have no idea which USB it is , works amazing , never had any problems with it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell ➑️
The port is USB2. I don't think they have any tricks to upgrade it to 3. (But you never know with Elektron )
yeah, they even have faster midi than everyone else
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGi_TaL ➑️
I have virus ti2 , have no idea which USB it is , works amazing , never had any problems with it.
TI2 is USB2
TI is USB1.1, hence the problems.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbump ➑️

DSI have largely paved the way for all of the analogue products we're enjoying now, they have been the company who have proven the market exists.

They do need to up their game as the bar has been raised by many others.
It that field?

Who besides Elektron?

I'm a long time Elektron proponent and user, in part because of their forward thinking with 3 atm, but my first DSI is a Tempests, its a beast and something Elektron could never do.

Sort of a US vs EURO future design and thinking battle,
which I really hope continues.

On the other hand, right now Japan is more about the past.
(not a bad thing but I've already been their done that)
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
Exactly.

Interestingly Elektron has had proprietary turbo midi (up to 10X) for years, they sped up midi themselves.

So they have a decent skill set for that stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thong ➑️
It that field?

Who besides Elektron?
Apologies but I am not sure what you mean.
πŸ“ Reply