recommend a 25-key MIDI controller for Reason - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
recommend a 25-key MIDI controller for Reason
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
recommend a 25-key MIDI controller for Reason

I'm looking to get a 25-key MIDI controller which will be primarily used with Reason and my MacBook Pro.

I will only be using it with MIDI-via-USB so it doesn't need to have real MIDI ports on it, much less CV.

Probably the most important things for me are an excellent keyboard, high quality construction, and something that's easy to use with Reason without completely geeking out learning a complex device.

Here's the ones that have caught my eye online. (I am in a remote area without access to music stores so I can't try any of these out in person before buying):

Novation Impulse 25 ($249)
Alesis VI 25 ($169)
Arturia Keylab 25 ($249)
Novation 25 SL mk II ($399 - ouch)

Any comments on these keyboards or other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that you're only looking at 25 key controllers? Portability?
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Wave ➡️
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that you're only looking at 25 key controllers? Portability?
Yeah… I've got a Korg Kontrol 49 back at home, plus a couple of bigger synths, but I'm on the road (work) and am looking for something that a) fits on the tiny desk here in the rental house and b) won't take up too much space in my car when I drive home.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Novation x-station or x-control 25 can be picked up for 75 bucks on the right day. Older than the models you mentioned but they work fine with current stuff. I use an x-station 49 and it's great.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Go for the Arturia, you get a nice software with it as well. The semi-weighted keys are reaaaaaaally nice. Construction: Metal and wood imitation; Pretty good; you only have to take care of knob and slider caps, which tend to fall a bit easily. A bit of glue should fix that with ease. I love mine.
📝 Reply