Quantcast
x0xb0x users - what overdrive FX do you use? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
x0xb0x users - what overdrive FX do you use?
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
x0xb0x users - what overdrive FX do you use?

Hey, this is a question for all of you x0xb0x users, is there a certain overdrive you use with your x0x? I'm looking for a great overdrive to use, but I can't decide what would be really siick for agressive-acid type tracks, in my case it would be old-school Goa Trance.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
a proCo RAT would probably be great. Not the Turbo RAT- the original one.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It sounds decent, thanks for a candidate.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd recommend overdriving a mixer channel first, works perfect with my x0xb0x & 303 for a cleaner distortion.
If that's not dirty enough, i'll opt for a boss mt 2 or digitech screamin blues.

Check this out: TB 303 Pedal Distortion Effect Test

The other things I'd recommend are a roland GP8 and boss gx 700 multi FX units. If you bide your time you can pick these up for about the same price as some boss pedals.

Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
there's no "best choice" here. no "certain" best-for-everything solution.

rather, there are families, or types of distortion: whether odd-order harmonic overdrive(boss od-1, little phatty drive circuit etc), a fuzz(waveshaper), a starved-plate 'toob', or high-voltage tube(classic guitar amp), or FET derivative, or some other clever transistor configuration. There are so many ways and approaches to getting dirt and distortion it makes the mind reel. there's hundreds of options that would do well, no doubt. That is because making a 303 to sound nasty is a very easy task; practically a no-brainer.

on the one hand, just about any distortion/OD/fuzz/metal will do the job, and MOST PEDALS CAN SOUND SIIIICK like you want with no problem.
some are noisier or cleaner or more wild or tame than others. do the research, listen to demos and make up your own mind, and trust your instincts.
i'd say pick a fuzz if you want a brighter sound in general, and a tube-type for a darker sound. one exception to the fuzz 'rule' is the EHX muff series; the older they are, even new clones, the fatter and darker they sound.
i'm rather far along (20+yrs at this) myself, and i like using waveshapers and bitcrushers. but a distortion pedal is where you should start. keep it simple and don't trip over terminology. keep at it and you'll get there.

truly, the only way to know what you'll like the best is to try them yourself. we really can't help you there, dude!
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MXR M-104 distortion + is what i use on my x0xbox - on my 303 i use the DP/4
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm tired of the distorted 303 sound. But when i WAS using a pedal, i really like the Ibanez SM7. It didn't suck out the low end like most other distortion pedals do.

Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks for all of your great inputs, it gave me a bit to think about. I definitely want the vintagy sound, so older is the way to go, I much prefer older equipment over the stuff that's coming out nowadays, afterall I'm creating old-school music.
So, I have decided from shaft9000's post that tube distortions would be the way to go.

Since Acid Hazard has mentioned the Ibanez here, has anyone ever tried the Ibanez tube king? I play Ibanez guitars and I know of their quality sounds and this sounds like a good pedal, any thoughts?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
ProCo RAT2, Big Muff p Bass, MXR-104+ and besides using them for their FX, I also like the MF-102, MF-103, MF-108 when overdriven.
I do record the odd goa trance like lead, but I don't make goa trance. More into the 16th basslines.

Like this:
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Some more laid back groove
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use a ProCo R2DU which is 2 Rats in a rack. Really noisy heavy distortion. I want to get something a bit more subtle and tubey.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Archangel ➑️
Thanks for all of your great inputs, it gave me a bit to think about. I definitely want the vintagy sound, so older is the way to go, I much prefer older equipment over the stuff that's coming out nowadays, afterall I'm creating old-school music.
So, I have decided from shaft9000's post that tube distortions would be the way to go.
This question has come up on GS before (a forum search might turn up the older thread, which may offer additional recommendations).

I always recommend the Electro-Harmonix Tube Zipper. tube distortion plus envelope-controlled resonant lowpass filter. It eats acid for lunch.

here's something like an example; main riff is x0xb0x thru Tube Zipper.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have a Maxon Vintage Overdrive Pro and that's an absolute beast (clone of a Tubescreamer), I also have a Roland ds1 and an MXR Distortion+ but the Maxon is head and shoulders above. However I used to have a Marshall ShredMaster looong time ago. and while it was quite noisy, the distortion from that thing was absolutely addictive. (I play guitars as well hence the love for disto/OD pedals).
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have a TS-303 mk2 Acid Screamer which is really good.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
Some more laid back groove
This has some really good tone in there for sure, what unit did you use for this distortion specifically, do you remember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid ➑️
I use a ProCo R2DU which is 2 Rats in a rack. Really noisy heavy distortion. I want to get something a bit more subtle and tubey.
The rat sounds cool, this is very hard to find (the rack version anyways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlvoltage ➑️
I always recommend the Electro-Harmonix Tube Zipper. tube distortion plus envelope-controlled resonant lowpass filter. It eats acid for lunch.

here's something like an example; main riff is x0xb0x thru Tube Zipper.
Dude! This is pretty much the sound I'm after or very similar, it sounds killer! It sounds pretty aggressive, and I could make some really hypnotic stuff with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaink ➑️
I have a TS-303 mk2 Acid Screamer which is really good.
This is fantastic! I watched a video for this, and read up a bit about it, and this was made specifically for TB-303 & clones, do you know if the guy making these still has any?

So many good options here!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is fantastic! I watched a video for this, and read up a bit about it, and this was made specifically for TB-303 & clones, do you know if the guy making these still has any?

So many good options here!
I emailed him last year although he is not building these ones any more he is developing anther version. He will put you on the waiting list if you contact him for when it gets released.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This has some really good tone in there for sure, what unit did you use for this distortion specifically, do you remember?
ProCo RAT2 for that distorted one.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use a BOSS ODB-2 and it sounds dead on for bloodbath dance, da funk, etc.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaink ➑️
I emailed him last year although he is not building these ones any more he is developing anther version. He will put you on the waiting list if you contact him for when it gets released.
I think I may have to get on this then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➑️
ProCo RAT2 for that distorted one.
Thanks dude, I'm thinking about this for sure, on the plus side it's very easy to get one.

So basically I'm down to 3 options: ProCo RAT (I'm thinking the original one), TS-303 Acid Screamer, and the Electro-Harmonix Tube Zipper.

I just might have to get all 3 (eventually).
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was in the market for a distortion pedal recently and was considering the RAT. After researching a bit I decided on the Joyo Ultimate Drive (knockoff of OCD). I chose this distortion not only for the price but the reviews mention that it maintains the low end better than a tube screamer and distorts nicely considering its an OD. I do not have a 303 or the like but I have run my JP-8000 through this pedal and I like the 3 knobs and tone produced (plus you can't beat the price).

Amazon.com : Joyo JF-02 Ultimate Overdrive Pedal, featuring true Bypass Wiring, Tone Switch and Quality components : Electric Guitar Distortion And Overdrive Effects : Musical Instruments

If you are looking for budget this thing is pretty nice. If you've got the money I would go with that Tube Zipper (looks pretty sweet).
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgigh ➑️
I was in the market for a distortion pedal recently and was considering the RAT. After researching a bit I decided on the Joyo Ultimate Drive (knockoff of OCD). I chose this distortion not only for the price but the reviews mention that it maintains the low end better than a tube screamer and distorts nicely considering its an OD. I do not have a 303 or the like but I have run my JP-8000 through this pedal and I like the 3 knobs and tone produced (plus you can't beat the price).

Amazon.com : Joyo JF-02 Ultimate Overdrive Pedal, featuring true Bypass Wiring, Tone Switch and Quality components : Electric Guitar Distortion And Overdrive Effects : Musical Instruments

If you are looking for budget this thing is pretty nice. If you've got the money I would go with that Tube Zipper (looks pretty sweet).
That joyo looks sweet, and a really good price tag for a budget, I like the fact that it has a switch for low or high voltage, since I'd be using the high voltage.

I know what you mean about the JP-8000, I've got one too, and the distortion I'm looking into getting would probably be used for mine aswell, the JP-8000 has TERRIBLE FX.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Any Moogerfooger or Minifooger Drive. I use it on anything and everything!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU ➑️
Any Moogerfooger or Minifooger Drive. I use it on anything and everything!
I've never heard their FX modules sound before, but knowing it's Moog it's going to be quality sound, it's tad pricey, then again so is the zipper.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Boss Overdrive on my 303. Actually, mine's a ODB-3 bass overdrive. Perfect for gnarly London Acid Techno sounds.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can't go wrong with the Rat.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Rat is THE og 303 distortion. A little goes a long way tho.
I got the synthrotek rat clone kit, it has the original lm308 chip and has 3 dip switches for the three different clipping stages each version of the older rats had or were modded for. It has 4 knobs, adding the r-tone which boosts bass freq. The nice thing is you can try any of the old stages one at a time or switch a couple on or all three at the same time. Allows for some variation on the distortion albeit subtle. The kit is pretty cheap and it sounds great. It would make a good first kit for beginners in electronics. And they will assemble it for ya if you just don't wanna bother. Then you just put it in a case.
http://www.synthrotek.com/products/e...its/rat-clone/
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
OTB, I use MXR Distortion+
ITB, I use d16 Devastor
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Snd fb-14
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface ➑️
Boss Overdrive on my 303. Actually, mine's a ODB-3 bass overdrive. Perfect for gnarly London Acid Techno sounds.
Same here, dry setting but with an mam mb 33 mk2.
πŸ“ Reply