Oberheim Xpander owners - question - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim Xpander owners - question
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Oberheim Xpander owners - question

Hi all

I've been looking around for an Xpander recently. One went on ebay the other day, the owner said in the description that the 'transformer is quite noisy, too loud for studio use'

Is this an issue that all Xpanders have or just this unit? I saw a youtube demo recorded with camera audio (?!) and you could hear a 'whirling' though this could of course be the camera audio picking up all sorts of stuff...

I'd be interested to know what the case is with these, I love the sound and don't think this would be a deal breaker anyway... Many thanks

SPAM: Looking to trade my minty OSCar for an Xpander at the moment
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mine isn't dead silent but you really need to get close to the back and strain your ear to hear it. however, sitting in the mix position i don't hear it , and my room is dead silent (computer is in another room).

even if you get a unit that has issues of that sort, its always possible to re-wound the transfomer. i did this when changing some Rolands from 110 to 240, and it cost me arround 55 euro a piece.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
mine isn't dead silent but you really need to get close to the back and strain your ear to hear it.
OK, great, thank you for that.. I assume it was this guy's unit that had an extra issue of some sort...

Regards...
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Mine is pretty loud, not TERRIBLE but still louder than I want it to be.
Old 12th March 2014
Deleted 0fc8128
They are switching power supplies. They do have a hum to them. Maybe tighten some screws will dampen the vibration but you will always hear a hum.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not all of them.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've never had any hum problems with any Xpanders or Matrix-12s... Make sure you get a US built unit (jack labels above the jacks)...
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt ➑️
I've never had any hum problems with any Xpanders or Matrix-12s... Make sure you get a US built unit (jack labels above the jacks)...
I have exactly the opposite experience. I repaired multiple Xpanders, owned severals and now own a Matrix-12, all with switching power supplies and all having a settle hum. BTW, they are all american built too.

Maybe it's a 110V vs 220V issue, who knows?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I thought it was widely known that this is an issue that crops up for numerous Oberheim models. My Xpander was had an unacceptable level of transformer hum that I could hear in my room. Ultimately my tech offset the transformer from the chassis with rubber grommets and that really reduced the noise level. It's still present, but much better now.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I though it was the japanese version that had PSU issues with noise and being more physically fragile.

Mine is US and dead silent

z
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ultimately my tech offset the transformer from the chassis with rubber grommets and that really reduced the noise level. It's still present, but much better now.
Right, I spoke to to my tech about this who suggested rubber grommets as well. But I get that this is a very mixed picture from everyones experiences.. Thanks for the replies...

Gareth
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
mine is silent .. also i notice in general that some of US synths from 80's suffer from HUM problem when switched to 230V

example is my H3000D SE .. running on 230v it make huge hum … running on 110 with step-down transformer … no problem!

BTW

Im selling my Xpander .. USA version … fully refurbished!
πŸ“ Reply