Quantcast
How to slide with a vst Bass - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to slide with a vst Bass
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
How to slide with a vst Bass

Hey, im using pro tools, and Im an owner of the kontakt 5 basses, and trillian. I have yet to find a way to slide with either of the two

In the manual for the kontakt basses, under the slide articulation, they say the notes must be played legato and the sustain pedal must be held down to activate the slide mode

In pro tools when i pull up the scarbee MM-bass, there is a drop down menu

- FX presets
- Vibrato
-EQ

etc...

So I clicked on controllers.

it brings up CC automation for sustain, release, slide etc. The slide automation is by default set to CC#64, which is the same CC# for the sustain automation, so I believe that means the sustain automation will trigger the slide mode within scarbee. As long as you have sustain on where the slide occurs, you have the CC# matched, and the midi information is legato, but when I do all that, it still does not work!!!!!!

I tried both Holding down the sustain pedal and lifting the automation where I want the slide, but it will not slide

and remember thats just kontakt 5 basses... as for trillian, I have no idea how.

If anyone knows how, then PLEASE help. I'm working on some really cool projects right now, and I just want to get this figured out, and get back to them before I loose that inspiration.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Use a pitch bend wheel, set the bend amount to the # of semitones you want to glide / slide.

... or do you mean something different, like a particular playing technique?
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➑️
Use a pitch bend wheel, set the bend amount to the # of semitones you want to glide / slide.

... or do you mean something different, like a particular playing technique?
Okay to be honest im not even really quite sure what im looking for. I got the drums down for soundgardens Rhinosaur, but I think at 18 seconds into the song the bass slides down and pitch bend doesn't sound right. You think I might as well just record a real bass myself? or is there a way to do it with the vsts?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you want glissando?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ape ➑️
you want glissando?
i dont know a glissando is, but this is not a continuous slide. just a downward slide to end the phrase
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayne ➑️
i dont know a glissando is, but this is not a continuous slide. just a downward slide to end the phrase
Yeah pitchbend is what you want to use. Decide how many semitones you want to slide down, set that in the VST settings, and automate the pitchbend down over however long an amount of time you want the glide to take.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I tried this a week ago with Scarbee's Jay Bass. I found that if you program a full sustain before playing legato, it will slide. Hold the sustain down throughtout the notes you would want the to slide to happen. Also, keep in mind that although slides are available on all the frets, the range is only one octave. You can change the speed of the slide by changing the velocity to the note. Anything above 61 I believe will trigger the fastest slide. Here's a screenshot in Cubase7...

Last edited by FrankieP; 11th March 2014 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: image added
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrok ➑️
Yeah pitchbend is what you want to use. Decide how many semitones you want to slide down, set that in the VST settings, and automate the pitchbend down over however long an amount of time you want the glide to take.
Actually, you're right man. pitch bend does work, and i didn't even need to set anything in the vst. Thanks for helping me clear that up
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieP ➑️
I tried this a week ago with Scarbee's Jay Bass. I found that if you program a full sustain before playing legato, it will slide. Hold the sustain down throughtout the notes you would want the to slide to happen. Also, keep in mind that although slides are available on all the frets, the range is only one octave. You can change the speed of the slide by changing the velocity to the note. Anything above 61 I believe will trigger the fastest slide. Here's a screenshot in Cubase7...

Yeah I tried that but maybe it only works in cubase cause the whole sustain thing hasnt been working for me, still thanks for tryin to help man
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're using Trillian and you're after realistic bass slides take a look at this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbi...ass-glide.html
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee ➑️
If you're using Trillian and you're after realistic bass slides take a look at this thread: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbi...ass-glide.html
Thanks. This was helpful
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayne ➑️
Yeah I tried that but maybe it only works in cubase cause the whole sustain thing hasnt been working for me, still thanks for tryin to help man
That's weird. I don't use Pro Tools so couldn't give you any help on that side. It should work though coz it's a third party library and NI Scarbee libraries is not DAW specific. Maybe there's a midi setting in Pro Tools that you had missed in the preference. Maybe you have a filter ticked on with CC#64/Sustain. You might want to check that out. Using sustain is very different than just using pitch bend or note glissando with Scarbee's libraries. The sustain/slide articulation sounds very realistic. Anyway, you're very welcome. Always happy to help!
πŸ“ Reply