Quantcast
Roland Varios Firmware Help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Varios Firmware Help
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Roland Varios Firmware Help

So, I picked up a super cheap Varios to host my VC-1 and VC-2 cards when they are outside my V-synth. I booted up my old powerbook G4 and loaded V-Producer on it. This thing is amazing and super useful. V-Producer is a fantastic piece of software, and it is a shame that Roland stopped supporting this.

I know these things were a miserable failure and support/knowledge is lacking. What is driving me nuts is that I can't figure out how to load the latest firmware onto the box. Has anyone done this/know the steps? I have the ROM file, but I am not sure how to get the box in a state where it is ready to load new firmware.
Old 11th March 2014
Deleted 7a792f4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydilaxe โžก๏ธ
So, I picked up a super cheap Varios to host my VC-1 and VC-2 cards when they are outside my V-synth. I booted up my old powerbook G4 and loaded V-Producer on it. This thing is amazing and super useful. V-Producer is a fantastic piece of software, and it is a shame that Roland stopped supporting this.

I know these things were a miserable failure and support/knowledge is lacking. What is driving me nuts is that I can't figure out how to load the latest firmware onto the box. Has anyone done this/know the steps? I have the ROM file, but I am not sure how to get the box in a state where it is ready to load new firmware.
I think the steps are in the download file >>>

VariOS System Program Version 1.07
VariOS :: Downloads :: Support :: Roland
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Man its good to see the humble varios get some recognition. I was buying these up when people were letting them go for like $100. So now I have 3. I've got 2 VC-1 cards (D-50) and a VC-2 card as well as the Varios-8 and Varios303.

You're right. V-Producer is insane. If Roland updated this software and sold it of for the price of Logic X I'd still buy it. I have to run mine in an XP Virtual Machine.

Anyway. glad to see someone else loving this piece of gear. It's also awesome as a humble sampler without v-producer, though you can only have 6 sounds at any one time. This isn't really a limitation because of elastic audio.

This has to be the most slept on piece of gear ever.
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks for the help! I figured it out with the help of someone on the Muffwiggler forum...there was some documentation on an old Roland UK site. Basically, there is a button combination that puts the Varios into a state for loading new firmware. I have to say that this is one insanely useful box. The inclusion of Flash ROM for sample storage is brilliant and lets this function as a great little stand alone sampler. I think people are put off by the fact that the software was abandoned; they do not realize that the hardware is actually fairly realized and can function decently without a computer.
Old 28th February 2020
Here for the gear

Hello, where can I get the firmware? I have a various and can't use it. The software will not find the midi.
Old 12th March 2020
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I no longer have my VariOS or the software. I actually ran it on older hardware when I had it to ensure compatibility. The system that you are connecting it to might not be supported.
๐Ÿ“ Reply