Don't always want to turn the computer on - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Don't always want to turn the computer on
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCatStudio ➡️
Problem is the mixer I have doesn't have channel sends - so I'd be looking at a much pricier mixer.

Different interface could work, anyone have a suggestion for an 8-input interface that can function standalone?

Maybe I should just get that akai wolf and run it and my ultranova direct.
I bought a 90's Yamaha RM800 24:8 a few months ago for $400 just for this purpose. My interface is a RME UFX with 12 analog inputs. The RM800 can send 16 tracks to tape (UFX) so I can utilize all 12 UFX inputs at once. I don't have to turn on my PC to just jam and it has been fantastic for this purpose.

The funny thing is with Elektron's new Overbridge announcement my A4 Keys can now can bypass the mixer and just go USB into the PC. SO now I have mixer channels to fill! I guess the new Waldorf Spreadable Fats string synth awaits along with the Akai Rhythm Wolf.

Last edited by rockreid; 13th March 2014 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: price of Yamaha
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️

I found that when I had a "sketch recording system" what would happen is the trouble of having to transfer files over was enough to discourage me as opposed to simply having it in the computer all ready to go or just multitracking in the computer immediately. Not to forget sequencing with the DAW in addition to recording directly in makes the process faster and in sync with recordings. Adding drums with the DAW's sampler on top of what I'm doing helps too.
Yes, when sequencing and adding drums, that is exactly where you need some sort of master timing to keep things in sync when overdubbing, and therefore the PC solution is way better in that case. No doubt about that.

Although, i must say that when i had a Yamaha aw16g that could be controlled via midi start/stop from the RS7000 that syncing wasn't an issue - but with that one there was no easy way of getting the files to PC.
In that case the file transfer had to happen by burning the tracks to CD which is a process that indeed resulted in lots of unfinished recordings on the yamahas harddisk.

But with the R-16 i find that connecting a USB cable and waiting at most 5 minutes for transferring even 8 tracks of 15 minutes is no problem for me, as a break between recording and mixing is a nice thing.

Quote:
Just what works for me.
Absolutely, this discussion can only be about personal preferences and what works for any one individual.
Old 11th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It's kind of a luxury to be able afford a nice/warm/clean sounding mixer to accomodate all your gear *and* an audio interface that records multiple channels so for many people it's a choice between the two.The multi i/o interface is the most common option but i like to jam without a computer too (although i frequently use software fx) and I'm in a situation where i want to upgrade both with a budget around 400 euros and i'm either forced
1) to stick with what i have and save $$ to upgrade both later
2)buy something and then also wait and save for the other.
Old 11th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got the same interface. I saved presets on the Scarlett for jamming with and without the computer. I also made one for recording. When I shut the computer down or disconnect the interface, I load my no-computer preset and save it to the hardware. Then you can disconnect and it continues to work as though the computer is still hooked up. (you can't edit your routing or anything like that though.)

I might replace it with a MOTU Ultralite Mk3 which has front panel controls for operating in standalone mode.
Old 12th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven5 ➡️
I mostly record and 80% of the time play live so it's a mind set.

Also I should mention my setup is is like so:

My center of attention is usually a 3 tier rack with speakers instead of some setups where the center of attention is the computer. So for example I hit record on my computer, go to the 3 tier rack and do my thing. So I'm not sitting staring at a computer screen mostly. I'm at the 3 tier where my attention should be.

I found that when I had a "sketch recording system" what would happen is the trouble of having to transfer files over was enough to discourage me as opposed to simply having it in the computer all ready to go or just multitracking in the computer immediately. Not to forget sequencing with the DAW in addition to recording directly in makes the process faster and in sync with recordings. Adding drums with the DAW's sampler on top of what I'm doing helps too.

Sketches on my old system would usually just die with a sketch recording and that's it. But I find recording in my comp puts it already in a position to become a song to be worked on further and faster.

Just what works for me.
the problem for me, when i don't have the computer in view is that it inevitably screws up in some way! or i screw up. and lose good work. the only problem i've had with the zoom is maxing out the 3 hour in one go time. :0

oth, i hear you about transferring files. what's worked well for me so far is rme ufx and it's durec along with computer recording. never had a case where both messed up and i've messed up at the same time yet, so it seems to work well.

i'll probably still keep the zoom for portable recording though.
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeah, let me know when it's cheaper to have midi-synced processing on each channel. I definitely have space for 30+ $400 pedals
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But....I literally just plug in my usb/firewire cable, open my master ableton template, and get going.

What's the issue, here?
Old 12th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCatStudio ➡️
I used an analog mixer for a long time and sent the group buss into my interface to record.

Recently I switched to a mixer less setup with a Focusrite Scarlett and all my synths plugged directly into the interface.

This setup is great when using the computer - everything has it's own channel, etc.

The problem is that now i HAVE to plug the interface into the computer and boot it up to do some jamming.

It's not a huge deal, but I miss being able to jam without the computer and only turn it on when I want to record.

Any ideas of how to get around this?

It's good that you figured out your interface can serve you in this purpose. Just wondering, what is the gear you are hooking up? There might be other options...
📝 Reply