Analogue with the fastest envelopes - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analogue with the fastest envelopes
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cLoudForest ➑️
I've never encountered one in person, but the Technosaurus Selector was reputed to have extremely fast, snappy envelopes. Has anyone here ever used one of these?
The Selector has an minimum attack of 100 ?secs according to this article here:

Technosaurus Selector
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yeah, that's the article I read about it all those years ago but I've never got to try one. 70 micro-seconds for 90% response of the VCA. Oof...super fast. I wonder if that actually translates into an audibly quicker response than, say, a Minimoog or if it's just numbers beyond a certain point?
Old 14th March 2014
Special Guest

🎧 10 years
novation basstation 2 is pretty snappy, but the roland system 100m has the snappiest envelops i own.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
theres a comparison chart somewhere online that shows the SH101 to have the fastest attack
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dual ADSR | intellijel
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Subphatty has pretty bloody snappy env
The a4 has the fastest I've encountered
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't mix up the snap and the speed.

1ms for example is 1 cycle of 1000hz. I don't think you can put enough amplitude information in this short of a time for it to sound "snappy". 1176s also don't sound very snappy due to this reason.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by isdn ➑️
the nord 1 and 2 do have amazing fast trigger and about as good as it gets alongside the 101 , pro 1 , virus .Its a shame nord dont do something with a fuller sound that can also do the thin/ fast edgy stuff .I may have to try the new elektron stuff.
Yeah, the Nord 1/2 series are not very fat sounding. That really bummed me out when I first got my Nord 1 (right when it came out). But now I just use the Nord for what it is good at and reach for the analogs when I want a fuller sound. :-)

EDIT: This actually raises an interesting question: Do snappier envelopes tend to diminish the "fatness" of the sound? For instance, there is something strangely organic about the sloppy envelopes on the Matrix-1000. The envelopes are not only slow but they seem imprecise/inconsistent as well. All those smeared attacks give the sound more variability. It used to drive me crazy back when I wanted everything to be perfectly sample accurate. But now I think it's sort of a cool effect for certain types of sounds.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend ➑️
Yeah, the Nord 1/2 series are not very fat sounding. That really bummed me out when I first got my Nord 1 (right when it came out). But now I just use the Nord for what it is good at and reach for the analogs when I want a fuller sound. :-)

EDIT: This actually raises an interesting question: Do snappier envelopes tend to diminish the "fatness" of the sound? For instance, there is something strangely organic about the sloppy envelopes on the Matrix-1000. The envelopes are not only slow but they seem imprecise/inconsistent as well. All those smeared attacks give the sound more variability. It used to drive me crazy back when I wanted everything to be perfectly sample accurate. But now I think it's sort of a cool effect for certain types of sounds.
you have to play to the strengths of a synth for sure.The nords at the low mid range can do some super tight stuff and in the hi mids also have a certain space and dryness i love , i think for the lower end i come back to the 101 alot so maybe i am back to the Jp8 or Jp6 which i guess could be somewhere between a nord and jp8 ! .....wondering of the jp6 has a fast plucky attack / trigger .I know people dont always warm to its tone compared to the fat analogues but the Jp6 cant be all that bad can it ?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden ➑️
Don't mix up the snap and the speed.

1ms for example is 1 cycle of 1000hz. I don't think you can put enough amplitude information in this short of a time for it to sound "snappy". 1176s also don't sound very snappy due to this reason.
it takes at least 3ms from the moment the sound wave begins to the moment its picked up by the ear drum. snappy is not just how quick, its the resonant peak at the beginning
Old 16th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
if talking drums then minibrute is fast but pulse2 is faster and less random due to digital control. a4 is slow like a snail.
πŸ“ Reply