Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Clavia Nord A1

News just in from the 2014 Musikmesse!

Nord Keyboards

Clavia are saying the following availability and prices:

Nord Lead A1: April 2014 priced at 1459€
Nord Lead A1R: June 2014 priced at 1259€

I'm not at the Messe this year but if anyone is please post your impressions - could this be the Nord I finally submit to?

Cheers,

James

Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
For a little more you have an NL4 which is not cut down in questionable ways.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
could this be the Nord I finally submit to?
Uhhhh.... Why? This is probably the most useless development of any synth line I've ever seen... Go with a NL2 rack for $500 or NL2 for a small fraction more than this if you insist on buying new...
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Thats kind of a poor rendition of "A whiter shade of pale"

Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➡️
Uhhhh.... Why? This is probably the most useless development of any synth line I've ever seen... Go with a NL2 rack for $500 or NL2 for a small fraction more than this if you insist on buying new...
They sound very different though. Depends on what you like.

But I agree to that the price is questionable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️

Thats kind of a poor rendition of "A whiter shade of pale"
Er...
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Much better Yours did not work in my country ..
Deleted c1b33bf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik ➡️
I'm always looking for a reason to replace my NL2 with something newer as I love the ingenuity of the original idea but
improvements like extra voices don't justify the price tag for me.

The demos seem to sound cleaner and slightly sparkly in the highs—traits that may not be desirable if you are looking for analogue-like sound.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So... is there anyone at the Musikmesse who has now seen and heard this?
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
So... is there anyone at the Musikmesse who has now seen and heard this?
There are quite a few videos from NAMM floating around as well as some videos. I like the sound of it from what I've heard.
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder when Clavia will be adding more features to the NL4 via an OS Update ?

Loving my NL4 (Rack)
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp ➡️
I wonder when Clavia will be adding more features to the NL4 via an OS Update ?

Loving my NL4 (Rack)
I don't think that they will ever do something like this. Nord Lead synths have a one knob per function interface and they are famous for their ergonomic design and easy operation.Adding more software features would ruin many of their design principles because they would have to add multi-key shortcuts for basic functions, something that they are not used to do.
Old 13th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
I don't think that they will ever do something like this. Nord Lead synths have a one knob per function interface and they are famous for their ergonomic design and easy operation.Adding more software features would ruin many of their design principles because they would have to add multi-key shortcuts for basic functions, something that they are not used to do.
Clavia said at Namm 2014 that they would implement the ensemble effect from the a1 to the nl4. So yes updates will happen. Also the A1 already have got three new features that is anounced at their website not many days ago.
Old 26th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, the manual is finally out and there is a software update that adds more voices (26 from 24) and more vintage envelope behavior...

...and what does "more vintage envelope behavior" mean BTW? I thought that Nord lead envelopes sounded already great...punchy and snappy.
Old 26th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensory ➡️
I'm always looking for a reason to replace my NL2 with something newer as I love the ingenuity of the original idea but
improvements like extra voices don't justify the price tag for me.

The demos seem to sound cleaner and slightly sparkly in the highs—traits that may not be desirable if you are looking for analogue-like sound.
I personally think the sound quality, flexibility, and feature set of the A1 is light years ahead of the NL2, as it should be for a far newer VA model.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ ➡️
I personally think the sound quality, flexibility, and feature set of the A1 is light years ahead of the NL2, as it should be for a far newer VA model.
"flexibility"? ..it only has an LFO and a modulation envelope. That's lame for a digital synth at 1400 euros.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
"flexibility"? ..it only has an LFO and a modulation envelope. That's lame for a digital synth at 1400 euros.
Well I have not messed with one. Just listened to demos. It seemed more developed and it had effects, which I know adds a lot to masking the real sound. I am going to check the specs at the website again so I can give a more accurate assessment or at least back up my claim.
Old 26th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRAZZ ➡️
Well I have not messed with one. Just listened to demos. It seemed more developed and it had effects, which I know adds a lot to masking the real sound. I am going to check the specs at the website again so I can give a more accurate assessment or at least back up my claim.
Check the manual... It's now online at the official site. For me the best advantage that an A1 seems to have is a totally redesigned synth engine (as they claim at Nord), so, it's not "another one Nord lead synth".It also has great effects and It sounds more vintage than NL4, but that could just be my idea.. Other than that, there is nothing really special about it.. it doesn't even have PWM!!! It does have some kind of waveshaping though, but that's only for the single osc mode... The oscillator section in general covers a lot of areas and I could have liked it more if it had PWM and a separated noise source. I'm looking forward to hear the first proper demos but, I still believe that it's ridiculously expensive for what it really offers. I don't care about those 26 voices... It would be much better If they did a 16 voice synth with a premium sound engine and lots of features... it's not an analog... it's stupid to have so few options for that money.
Old 27th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Check the manual... It's now online at the official site. For me the best advantage that an A1 seems to have is a totally redesigned synth engine (as they claim at Nord), so, it's not "another one Nord lead synth".It also has great effects and It sounds more vintage than NL4, but that could just be my idea.. Other than that, there is nothing really special about it.. it doesn't even have PWM!!! It does have some kind of waveshaping though, but that's only for the single osc mode... The oscillator section in general covers a lot of areas and I could have liked it more if it had PWM and a separated noise source. I'm looking forward to hear the first proper demos but, I still believe that it's ridiculously expensive for what it really offers. I don't care about those 26 voices... It would be much better If they did a 16 voice synth with a premium sound engine and lots of features... it's not an analog... it's stupid to have so few options for that money.
I agree, for all the things you mentioned above. It is sounding more like a rompler or modeling type synth inside a VA, with sound shaping and effects, kinda of like a Gaia. Which makes it even more over priced.
Old 30th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You want options? Get NI Komplete 9.
Old 30th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
You want options? Get NI Komplete 9.
Nothing inside Komplete 9 sounds like a Nord. That's not a reason to sell that sound for $$$$ without basic modulation features though.
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This won't be the first synth I've ever heard about that sounds "wrong" on paper but absolutely right in person.....

I've had synths with every modulation matrix on the book, and some I've had to create myself, it's not the only thing that matters, though certainly for wild experimentation it provides plenty of food for thought.

Less is often more, especially with Clavia.
Old 1st May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Per Program, with four Programs (i.e. up to eight oscillators) in a Performance.

As I learned with my NM years ago, a Clavia Performance is really the "full synth," with each Program being a voice in that synth, not unlike, in basic concept, the Roland D-50.

This is one of many reasons I am sad a NM3 isn't in the works; if nothing else, the NM series is an education in how different combinations of elements (as with analogue modular synthesis) get to results in radically different ways. More players would also discover - with all options on the table - that the "best" sounds often come from the simplest architecture, not a jazillion features scrambled together.

So four LFOs and Mod Envelopes, and Arpeggiators, per patch, really. All syncable to Clavia's typically extremely good Master Clock.

NL4 has double the LFOs, and Impulse Morph, that's the main distinguishing factor in terms of such modulation features. However, the A1 trades in four LFOs for the ability to do delay WITH ensemble/chorus WITH reverb. You can get plenty of interesting modulation (if I'm reading right, each of those fx are per Program so quadruple all those, too, in a Performance) with that way of doing things, with four LFOs remaining, and Mod Envelopes and independent Arpeggiators. I would suspect. There's a defined amount of horsepower and memory, and one slices what is possible up in different ways, to optimize the use of that horsepower and memory. I think I prefer the way the A1 allocates capabilities to the way the NL4 does, but that's my taste.

Then again, I was wrong about the SH-32, Massive, Razor, (yet to be discovered, kids!), the Supernova and the JP-8000 once upon a time, too.

Seriously, this looks to be a really optimal, classic lead synth from Clavia. If it's better than its YouTube videos (probably), it also sounds gorgeous, with both more warmth than earlier NLs and still that classic NL sound.

That's my sense, at least.
Old 1st May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
Per Program, with four Programs (i.e. up to eight oscillators) in a Performance.

As I learned with my NM years ago, a Clavia Performance is really the "full synth," with each Program being a voice in that synth, not unlike, in basic concept, the Roland D-50.

So four LFOs and Mod Envelopes, and Arpeggiators, per patch, really. All syncable to Clavia's typically extremely good Master Clock.
These programs you describe, work like parallel layers...so, they are not exactly a multiplication of features...it's a multiplication of the whole synth voice structure. It's very different to have 4 LFOs in one layer from having 1 LFO in each of 4 different layers. You still can't use the LFO from the 3rd program to modulate a parameter of the 1st program, so, what you really get there is basically the same engine in 4 instances. This is like simultaneously sending midi data to 4 different synths with their outputs connected to a mixer. It's called mutlitimbrality. Playing the same sound on four individual synths, doesn't give you a more flexible sound engine...it's just like a unison effect (if you detune the oscs a bit) or like multitracking (if you have a different sound on each program).
Old 1st May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Except it's obviously not the same sound.

My point is simply that you are - in my opinion - arbitrarily getting hung up on a particular preconception of what is "necessary," and as a result making a kind of blanket judgment of the whole instrument based on your idea of what must be.

I simply recommend as an alternative: go with the flow. You'll be happier. Or, stay within the bounds of what you think must be, if that's what makes you happy.

It just doesn't seem reasonable to confuse personal preferences with Truth, I guess is what bugs me.

Not like that ever happens on the Internet anywhere....
Old 12th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nothing inside Komplete 9 sounds like a Nord. That's not a reason to sell that sound for $$$$ without basic modulation features though.
The Discovery plug from DiscoDSP sure sounds like a Nord though...
📝 Reply