Quantcast
Sell or Keep Roland TR-707 & Tr-727 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sell or Keep Roland TR-707 & Tr-727
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
You can't overlook the historical significance of the TR-707 either. These sounds were very common in early house music and if you want to sound like a mid-eighties Chicago acid tune you could do a lot worse than starting with a 707. And those hi-hats are killer still...
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
yeah, 707/727 is also a classic in later acid/acid house as well. of course most of the x0x machines are in that stuff, but 707 and 909 were probably the two most commonly heard, with some 606/808 as well. Those genres tended to prefer the more stand-out kick and snare from the 707 and 909. The 808 bass/snare are much less harsh, the 808 bass drum is more like a wave of bass than it is a thumpy "kick" like in the 707 and 909. When 808 was used in those genres it tended to supplement a 707 or 909 which was standing out in front. The 707/727 was definitely used a lot more than people here are giving it credit for.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i agree they are classics. in fact any of the roland XoX boxes pre late 90's really are. as long as they have that have that 16 step grid left to right: 606, 707, 727, 808, 909. one day i hope to own them all.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO ➡️
i agree they are classics. in fact any of the roland XoX boxes pre late 90's really are. as long as they have that have that 16 step grid left to right: 606, 707, 727, 808, 909. one day i hope to own them all.
well I can say this much: the tr-8 is definitely going to fall short compared to owning all those, I'm sure you already knew that though. I pretty much own that list plus cr-78 and minus the 727 which I'd still like to own some day.

I think roland dropped the ball with this one yet again. their competition is finally releasing analog machines, and now even akai is releasing an analog drum machine into the mix, which honestly seems like a better deal than this aira stuff, why the hell is roland so vigorously holding out on analog? I don't know.

I know we're speaking of the 707 here, which isn't analog, and maybe a tr-8 could replace that, I don't know, but I feel like the tr-8 as a product drops the ball in numerous ways right out the door, so even if it can do 707, it will never have been as good of a product as the 707 was, to begin with, given the technology of the day and what not. They could have done more than make us another yet another sampling/modeling drum synth modeled after the x0x machines. It's as if they expect us to forget that they've already done that a hundred times over already...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➡️
well I can say this much: the tr-8 is definitely going to fall short compared to owning all those, I'm sure you already knew that though. I pretty much own that list plus cr-78 and minus the 727 which I'd still like to own some day.

I think roland dropped the ball with this one yet again. their competition is finally releasing analog machines, and now even akai is releasing an analog drum machine into the mix, which honestly seems like a better deal than this aira stuff, why the hell is roland so vigorously holding out on analog? I don't know.

I know we're speaking of the 707 here, which isn't analog, and maybe a tr-8 could replace that, I don't know, but I feel like the tr-8 as a product drops the ball in numerous ways right out the door, so even if it can do 707, it will never have been as good of a product as the 707 was, to begin with, given the technology of the day and what not. They could have done more than make us another yet another sampling/modeling drum synth modeled after the x0x machines. It's as if they expect us to forget that they've already done that a hundred times over already...
I will definitely be holding on to them after mulling things over and listening to the input of others to give me perspective. The thing that attract me to the Tr-8 more than anything is the realtime control; all those faders and knobs will really help with live jamming and performing. Paired with the older ones, it will have it's place.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
..if you got or add a 101/JX3P/Juno60 the 707 can really become invaluable...

(skip to 3:03 )
Old 24th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️

This is the video that made me buy a 707. Zero regrets, so much fun with a 101.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i would only keep it if i would need the dinsync out (or the dedicated trig out) in a hardware setup. just for the sound or the workflow in a DAW setup it's not worth it imo.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think the 707/727 are classics - if you want that 80s synth pop sound or early chicago house music especially. Samples are arguably better with these units than say with a tweak able 808 or 909, but that said - I just got a 505 recently and have to say somehow I think it sounds better playing the same pattern programmed via nice samples I had. It's somehow more "alive." I would guess it's the same with the 707/727. So if you REALLY like how these sound and they are mint, why not keep 'em?
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting that people say the real draw of the 707/727 is the LCD display and programming interface.

With that logic you would think the Boss DR-110 would be an unsung classic with the exact same programming interface but all analog underneath -- practically a 606 in the sheepskin of a 707.

Yet, DR-110's are crazy cheap. Even DR-55's are insanely cheap compared CR-78's.
Old 25th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Personally I prefer the 707 and 727 over the 808 and 909 and certainly the 606. I like the fact it's not analog- a simple fat sampled thump that drives along a raw house tune quite nicely without reming me of all the cheesy 90s dancepop and sub par contemporary hip hop the other units evoke to me.
Old 25th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Personally I prefer the 707 and 727 over the 808 and 909 and certainly the 606. I like the fact it's not analog- a simple fat sampled thump that drives along a raw house tune quite nicely without reming me of all the cheesy 90s dancepop and sub par contemporary hip hop the other units evoke to me.
Old 9th May 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'll pay $500

I have the new TR-8 and TR-707. I am looking for a TR-727. The TR-8 is a blast to play and if it does get new sounds it will be a no brainer purchase. If you do decide to sell your TR-727 let me know I'm in the market.
Old 10th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
all great comments

The question is, when am I going to find an SH-101 for a decent price!! Anybody who is selling around here is asking around 1K. I refuse to pay more than 700 for one. I guess i'll just have to be patient.
Old 12th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️

I was thinking to put my 707 for sale. After this video i will take back to use and sync it to 101.

I have owned both since -95 and not once i have tried to sync 'em :D

My 101 has midi so have been using it with computer. 707 was also only used for the sounds triggered from computer. That was pre-sampler era.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I love the 707/727 and wish I bought one a decade ago when they were dirt cheap. Got an RM1x instead

Too expensive now, will be trying to get RX11/15
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
if you wanna sell them i buy them off you
Old 13th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoHostettler ➡️
if you wanna sell them i buy them off you
TR i might sell, but my 101 is too rare to get the right price. Or maybe i save TR to my kid. When is old enough he might get something new out of it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Some years ago, I modded my 707 with ROM swapping... so that fatty 8bits can take any sample now. I mainly like to fill those old memories with DSI Tempest analog voices screaming.

It´s quite a jouney to fill the memories, but it´s possible. Maybe I´ll post a guide on how to do it here...

It´s based on a program in Basic compiled in DOS some french gearslut did. I have osx right now, will need a windowz emulator, I guess. Or to compile the Basic program again.

I was able to find it digging inside the old 707 forum, before it´s death I guess, as I can´t find it online anymore. A shame, I was looking for "secure" bending points. Anyway, I have it somewhere, tomorrow I´ll post some pictures & the files.

My idea, if you´re not going to buy some "special" vintage sampling or analog thing with it´s value (nothing software for me), keep those lesbians until you die!.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Not mine, but looks like this. Forum is gone. I think i have a copy of some of it´s content somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8vgDzgI02E
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito ➡️
TR i might sell, but my 101 is too rare to get the right price. Or maybe i save TR to my kid. When is old enough he might get something new out of it.
keep the 707.. especially if you have the 101... btw my 2 year old nephew loves banging on my 707.. i need to hide it next time he's around (i think it reminds him of his fisher price toys or something )
Old 28th June 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
707 is awesome, especially if you have an SH-101. Magic together. No one cares how it sounds because the public aren't gear sluts and don't get boners over analogue versus digital. If you're writing good songs, the PCM sounds more than cut it in the mix and **** get's funky with the sequencer triggering your other gear.
Old 28th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kan Kaban ➡️
Not mine, but looks like this. Forum is gone. I think i have a copy of some of it´s content somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8vgDzgI02E
So sad. He's got a brilliant machine to program and he's loading it with crappy stock sounds...
Old 13th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone looking to sell or trade a tr727 in the UK? Sorry for spammage.

Cheers
📝 Reply