Quantcast
Patchbays - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Patchbays
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
Patchbays

will using a behringer patch bay make everything sound like plop?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't use anything less than an SSL patchbay.

It's all about the tubes, you know. For that clean digital sound.
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted 8dcaace
Just get a Neutrik one, they're cheap enough and it says "Neutrik" rather than "Behringer" on it.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No. I have a PX3000. It's one of the 5 Berry products that doesn't totally suck.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
my berhinger patch bay experience has not been a good one. i wouldn't recommend them. they wont hurt the signal at all / make anything sound bad as long as the connection is good. problem i had with them was flimsy build quality and not a constant connection. lots of wiggling to sort out the crackles etc.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent ➑️
No. I have a PX3000. It's one of the 5 Berry products that doesn't totally suck.
I agree. I have about 8 of them I guess. One went bad after like 15 years of use. I like the switches on the top to select normalization modes, and it's built decently. The new ones are balanced, but the older ones weren't.
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted 2ecf148
im in a balanced mood
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 2ecf148 ➑️
im in a balanced mood
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
have got 3 for 15+ years

no problems
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiz9000 ➑️
I agree. I have about 8 of them I guess. One went bad after like 15 years of use. I like the switches on the top to select normalization modes, and it's built decently. The new ones are balanced, but the older ones weren't.
I think it's that the 2000 is unbalanced, the 3000 is balanced.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had an AP Audio patchbay (the kind you had to flip the cards around depending on normal/half-normal/thru) and upgraded last week to a Samson S-Patch, and couldn't be happier. Inexplicably, Amazon is selling them for $90.46 if you buy a bundle with eight cheap Hosa cables. They're $119 everywhere else, so I saved twenty bucks and got some extra cables out of the deal.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i got a Nady it works like a champ and was pretty inexpensive.

neB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathant ➑️
I had an AP Audio patchbay (the kind you had to flip the cards around depending on normal/half-normal/thru) and upgraded last week to a Samson S-Patch, and couldn't be happier. Inexplicably, Amazon is selling them for $90.46 if you buy a bundle with eight cheap Hosa cables. They're $119 everywhere else, so I saved twenty bucks and got some extra cables out of the deal.

Yeah the s patch is great build quality not the type of thing I would expect from samson..I got 3 could use another one..

I have the hosa patch cables too but I just cant stand the sight of them
may have to upgrade soon.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
my berhinger patch bay experience has not been a good one. i wouldn't recommend them. they wont hurt the signal at all / make anything sound bad as long as the connection is good. problem i had with them was flimsy build quality and not a constant connection. lots of wiggling to sort out the crackles etc.
same here.

I do like the Neutriks. They've treated me well. One thing, though...

Full Compass, B&H - $69.04

Parts Express - $74.00

Redco - $71.66

Sweetwater - $119.00
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Second, or third, or whatever to the behringer patch bays. Had a few, at least four at one point. Never had problems.

The neutriks required me opening the whole box and flipping cards. Plus the cards didnt sit flush in the case. Actually seemed far cheaper made than the Behringers.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Samson S-patch may be the easiest to use because its normalling options can be configured from the front panel. However the black/white "color coded" flippable cards in Neutrik patchbays are actually of great help when troubleshooting as you can instantly see which channels are normalled or half-normalled. And the biggest pain is having to crawl behind the rack to repatch wires so I don't see any immediate advantage in switchable patchbays.

The hardest work is still planning. I currently have 5 Neutrik patchbays and would still need one to get everything patched. Sometimes I think there's something principally wrong with my planning, but I still haven't found a good way to wire everything so that the patchbay would be clean (non-cluttered & partly prewired) and logical but still versatile. Patching synths is easy but patching everything else is much harder.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have 3x Neutrik NYS-SPP-L1 (what a name, huh); they have a very lousy paint finish that gets off very easily and you end up with bare metal, and the little boards move a lot. The connectors are top notch though.
Then I tried the DBX PB-48. They are more plastic, but move less, so a I got a bunch of those.

I don't like it that there is slight signal power degradation when multing, but it sort of makes sense.

Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Samson s-patch. Nothing more or less.

Don't risk Behringer.
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:
Originally Posted by m127f ➑️
I have 3x Neutrik NYS-SPP-L1 (what a name, huh); they have a very lousy paint finish that gets off very easily and you end up with bare metal, and the little boards move a lot. The connectors are top notch though.
Not sure what you're doing with your patchbay but I never noticed any paint finish issues. Mine still looks new. Tip: aim your jack at the holes.

I also use Signex Q-Patch patchbays quite a bit. Easy to turn round for half-normalled.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've got a 3x Behringer PX2000 and 2x Samson S-Patch.
The Behringers are really good value for money and there's more room for labels than the Samson.
The Samsons cost a little more, but are balanced and they've got Thru/Normal/Half-Normal switches on the front for every pair of ports. Very little room for labels though.

They all sound fine.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i went with 2 neutriks i got cheap first, when i needed a third, i got the samson s-patch plus, that thing rules. having switches on the front to change normalization mode is awesome. As others have said, the only thing that sucks about the samsons is that there's not much room for labels at all. I need to try to see what the smallest tape I can get for my label maker is, hah.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➑️
i went with 2 neutriks i got cheap first, when i needed a third, i got the samson s-patch plus, that thing rules. having switches on the front to change normalization mode is awesome. As others have said, the only thing that sucks about the samsons is that there's not much room for labels at all. I need to try to see what the smallest tape I can get for my label maker is, hah.
I printed mine out in Excel, that way it's all colour-coded. Two strips of 12 labels for the top row and the same for the bottom.
For the Samson, just set each cell size to column width 8, row height 14, Arial Narrow font size 8... print, glue, sorted .

Then

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk ➑️

Then
profit?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
profit?
Than what?
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Slip into something more comfortable.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by once was... ➑️
Tip: aim your jack at the holes.
For what's worth, I can aim and perfectly plug my jack right into any hole as far as from 3 feet away. :P

I probably got 2 from a bad badge. I have a third and the finish is still OK.
A lot of the paint came off from my using simple adhesive labels. Not a biggie, I love my gear with visible signs of use.

πŸ“ Reply