Quantcast
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth - Page 28 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Akai unveils Rhythm Wolf - analog drum machine and bass synth
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #811
Lives for gear
 
GeorgeHayduke's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph ➡️
I was quite disappointed to hear the guy at the Akai stand say we can't get sound as it was a not working prototype. That sounds a bit strange. Either it really broke or someone told them it sounds like sh!t and they decided to take out the cables.
Someone should sneak some earphones into the output and see if sound comes out of it
Old 14th March 2014
  #812
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I hope the knobs have a big range so you get a big variation of sounds. All the tracks and demos i've heard of volca beats the bassdrums sound exactly the same ..
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #813
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione ➡️
in this interview the Akai dude mentions that the whole distortion circuit could still be changed.
So they had an idea, then quickly mocked up some boxes and schematics and sourced some component prices, then went public.... months before design lockdown. Well, it got them the press they wanted at least.

What does the Wolf say?

Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #814
Gear Addict
 
PorchBass's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
Guess what happens ... your bass drum will suck and, finally, your mix will suck. Just so much misunderstanding, surprising. Keeping the bass mono and the rest mono or stereo. Not only vinyl requires this ... EDM had started lofi many times those days, but listen to modern productions, they are all mixed "right", that means like any other pop song, with all requirements and implications. it will sound big, because of stereo. Listen to the new Skrillex album or any other source. No hint to any vintage lofi mono productions.
Please! It seems you don't understand - everyone else is using plugs to collapse below 100Hz to mono. THose Skrillex basses have loads of stereo FX on them!

I have to assume you are Trolling about vintage mono productions being 'LoFi'? Old mono records have a phase coherent solidity often missing from modern recordings. Don't confuse panning with phase.

If Wolf has analogue monosynth onboard, in theory we can hijack the CV/gate outs for that too and use it as an analog sequencer! YAY!
Old 14th March 2014
  #815
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
They promised a demo in a week or two, so I'd guess they have more than just a mock up box.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #816
Gear Addict
 
PorchBass's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia ➡️
Not only that, with the USB-digital audio connection, the process of tracking into a DAW will sound exactly the same from user to user, when sending audio over USB, it will not have the variability in the analogue signal path into the DAW from analogue outputs.
VERY good point. Thanks I hadn't even considered that everyone will have the same front end. I think we may hear that difference despite VSTs etc after recording, as the source will always have the same 'colour'.
Loads of old DnB has that 'mixer overdrive' tone, for instance.

It's very sensible for Akai to put a distortion knob on the front, great!
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #817
Lives for gear
 
Seccione's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➡️
What does the Wolf say?

That's probably exactly the sound missing from my palette!

Seriously, where can I pay?
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #818
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazoo ➡️
the point i was trying to make is that sometimes it's possible that even the "pros" get it wrong when it comes to predicting the future of their profession.
.

That's the truth

In fact, I think what you say is more true with "professionals," there's a vested interest in keeping things how they are currently going and not having to learn a whole new process... I saw that happen first hand in the "film" industry.

(But, then there's a point where everybody adapts and then pretends they always were for digital )

-andrews
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #819
Lives for gear
 
Seccione's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➡️
I saw that happen first hand in the "film" industry.
Why does those quotation marks make me think of porn?

Wait, is that want you meant?
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #820
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione ➡️
Why does those quotation marks make me think of porn?

Wait, is that want you meant?

Ha! No, not what I meant, but funny you should say that because I do think the porn industry is usually the first to adapt to new technology. Seriously.

No, I meant the "film" industry because no one actually uses film anymore, yet we still call it that. Movie industry, film industry... no one calls it the digital industry.

That's funny though!

-a
Old 14th March 2014
  #821
Lives for gear
 
slujj vohaul's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Man. This thread bums me out. The pompousness of some GSer's is insane. It's ridiculous to think that some of the worst ones here are likely pushing 40 (or are even older).

Grow up. Get over yourself.

I'll check back when the thread is up to page 90 or so, maybe some sounds will have been released by then.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #822
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia ➡️
Is recreating 34 year old drum machine sounds, as closley as possible, really advancing and moving anything forward?
not really, if you're just focusing on the drum machine. i think the sh-101 "plugout" will be a good indicator to let us know if roland is really onto something with ACB.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #823
bry
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➡️
So they had an idea, then quickly mocked up some boxes and schematics and sourced some component prices, then went public.... months before design lockdown. Well, it got them the press they wanted at least.
Why is it so bad to get their target customers' input before actually finishing the product? More companies should do that.

Do you prefer the ones who come out with half ass products and when confronted with missing basic features go "well maybe in a future model..."?
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #824
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➡️
Man. This thread bums me out. The pompousness of some GSer's is insane. It's ridiculous to think that some of the worst ones here are likely pushing 40 (or are even older).
Kinda reminds me of Huffington Post.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #825
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bry ➡️
Why is it so bad to get their target customers' input before actually finishing the product?
nothing wrong with that at all. but if customer input is really going to be considered then it should probably be solicited before street price and product release times are announced.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #826
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
ok, mix in mono, no ambience. Can be your trademark. Go for it.
You're showing your ignorance of audio engineering. Mono does not mean "no ambience." Most early rock and roll had a lot of plate and spring reverb on tracks and it was all mono. Of course, these bands were often recorded in rooms that had their own ambience. Mono just means.. well not stereo. Anyway, I'd keep mixes for large clubs a bit dryer than usual anyway as they have their own ambience that's much different than what a home stereo is dealing with, or headphones.

I no longer do this but if I were doing a club mix I'd for sure do it in mono (or very close to it) because it's more important for each speaker to be playing something that totally represents the music than having people near one speaker hear a different mix than people close to another. Same holds true for live sound unless you're doing some special effects, which I agree can sound cool, but that's a different story.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #827
Lives for gear
 
Spazoo's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
wolfjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slujj vohaul ➡️
I'll check back when the thread is up to page 90 or so, maybe some sounds will have been released by then.
that's only 62 pages away. we'll be there before you know it

Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #828
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
You're showing your ignorance of audio engineering. Mono does not mean "no ambience." Most early rock and roll had a lot of plate and spring reverb on tracks and it was all mono. Of course, these bands were often recorded in rooms that had their own ambience. Mono just means.. well not stereo. Anyway, I'd keep mixes for large clubs a bit dryer than usual anyway as they have their own ambience that's much different than what a home stereo is dealing with, or headphones.

I no longer do this but if I were doing a club mix I'd for sure do it in mono (or very close to it) because it's more important for each speaker to be playing something that totally represents the music than having people near one speaker hear a different mix than people close to another. Same holds true for live sound unless you're doing some special effects, which I agree can sound cool, but that's a different story.
Do me a favor. Try to avoid starting a post with the words "trolling", "ignorance", etc. Of course there are mono spring verbs. Do they sound realistic? I hope you agree that the most realistic spaciousness is created with stereo. There are countless examples of dance tracks mixed stereo without phasing issues. I can only repeat myself saying that single outs give you way more possibilities. Especially when you want to use this drum machine as the main one and not as an addon.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #829
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➡️
The same goes for people's voices, though I'd be glad to take a soldering iron to anyone's throat if they feel they need more outputs, haha.
I've got an additional output, but it's nothing you'd want to stick a plug into.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #830
Lives for gear
 
bil_g's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️
Kinda reminds me of Huffington Post.
Ouch.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #831
Lives for gear
 
Liquid Legacy's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
I can only repeat myself saying that single outs give you way more possibilities.
Or you could, you know, just let it go

Seriously, please stop.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #832
Lives for gear
 
R3Member's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #833
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I've got an additional output, but it's nothing you'd want to stick a plug into.
Kinda depends on how he swings...
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #834
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
The problem with trolls is that they cannot read arguments or try to ignore them.

I said that for a little more money Akai could have included those outputs. I did not say it can be done with 200$. Some people even have problems to make a distinction here. Yes, I would be very interested in some basic cheap drum machine with a good sound which allows me to run through an analog mixer.

Mono or stereo is not even the main argument. You want panning, you want independent EQing, effects etc.

Why do I need to explain to you the most basic things? And rock music was just to mention that I do mixing. For producing, I am into techno and other stuff.
Right, so, like in everything in the real world, there is a "cost." The cost for a $200 analog drum synth is, it's got two mono outs which can translate to time spent recording each drum track separately if you want to put specific effects and pan positions on each drum. Like someone said, go have a cup'o tea or catch your friends' baby pictures on Facebook while the tracks record. When I was your age, we had to be happy with a Mattel Synsonics! We had to use it in the snow while walking uphill with no shoes on after eating a lump of dry poison for breakfast!

I'm not sure why this is so hard to grok. Akai wants to make a little bit of money on a lot of people because their market research probably showed this was the best safest way to go. Again, no one's twisting your arm to buy this and it's not like there aren't other products out there that will quench your thirst for multiple outputs. The good news is, that if the product is a huge success they may introduce a "pro" model at a later point that has the outputs and features you crave, but it won't be for $200.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #835
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
Do me a favor. Try to avoid starting a post with the words "trolling", "ignorance", etc. Of course there are mono spring verbs. Do they sound realistic? I hope you agree that the most realistic spaciousness is created with stereo. There are countless examples of dance tracks mixed stereo without phasing issues. I can only repeat myself saying that single outs give you way more possibilities. Especially when you want to use this drum machine as the main one and not as an addon.
Favor denied.

I never mentioned phasing. What will kill you in a club/stage environment is more likely to be a hard panned high-hat or something like that. Phasing is hardly going to be an issue in a venue like that.

Sure, you can create a feeling of spaciousness in stereo, but trust me, put your mono single into a stereo reverb plug in or outboard device and you'll get plenty of spaciousness. Frankly, the idea of panned drums is a "trick" that no one in the real world hears. Think about a drum kit. If you're 50 ft away from it it should sound like more or less a single point source. Imagine if you had 88 outputs on a piano so you could pan each key. Nice special effect, but unrealistic.

So, with that in mind, aside from post processing effects like say putting distortion on a specific voice, in a live situation a mono drum source is going to be fine. For a recorded mix... like we've all been saying, it's not a huge deal to just do 5 takes if you're on a budget and doing things on the cheap. If you're not, buy an expensive drum machine. Everyone's talking about how cheap it would be to do multiple outs, yet show me a really cheap drum machines that has this.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #836
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonInAustralia ➡️
They are actually new in the business, the InMusic/Numark owned Akai (they bought it in 2004) is a completely different company to the old Japanese Akai that made a few analogue synths years ago.
did not realize that. thx.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #837
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Favor denied.
good, communication denied.

Quote:
I never mentioned phasing.
not you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchBass ➡️
Don't confuse panning with phase.
Quote:
Sure, you can create a feeling of spaciousness in stereo, but trust me, put your mono single into a stereo reverb plug in or outboard device and you'll get plenty of spaciousness.
Exactly. Put a snare into a reverb device and leave the kick and hihats out.

<DELETED BY MODERATOR>
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #838
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
Anyways, the amount of hate in this forum is shocking. I stay in my German forum...
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #839
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
Anyways, the amount of hate in this forum is shocking.
I stay in my German forum, higher culture of conversation.
Nice way to hurl a general insult at all of us. <DELETED BY MODERATOR>

You will not be missed.
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
  #840
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwood ➡️
did not realize that. thx.
Akai Japan went bankrupt and was bought out by it's US distributors in 1999.

It was then bought by Jack O'Donnell/NuMark in 2004, and moved to O'Donnell's newly created InMusic group of companies in 2012.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 12110 views: 1482770
Avatar for SNOKing
SNOKing 12th February 2021
replies: 59 views: 13522
Avatar for J Gabriel
J Gabriel 30th September 2020
replies: 546 views: 46560
Avatar for Looping Loddar
Looping Loddar 10th October 2015
replies: 65 views: 7286
Avatar for shreddoggie
shreddoggie 11th May 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump