Quantcast
wondering if such a synth exists - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
wondering if such a synth exists
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
wondering if such a synth exists

hi there. im looking for something rather simple yet sort of exotic. i would like a box that has at least 2 tempo syncable lfos that work well. it must play nice over midi, i would like it to have extensive mod routing. id like there to be a 2 operator FM capability, as well as a variety of analog waveforms with at least an analog lowpass.

i just realized what i want is an A4. do they play nice over midi? i bet from another elektron product, why wouldnt they? does the A4 do that awesome 'PWM' thing to the triangle wav? how nice are the lofs, and can you sync them to tempo, and choose your tempo division easily? can you choose the phase of the lfo?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The A4 doesn't do FM, although it does a limited implementation of AM which is quite powerful in its way. Mod routing is OK, not outstanding (eg no independent mod matrix, but you do get plenty of destination choices and 2 routings per LFO/Envelope). It does play nice over MIDI, at least to incoming MIDI - it will send out control changes from the front panel but not sequenced stuff. PWM yes and the LFOs are nice, easily syncable and can go very fast. You need to get used to thinking in terms of rate denominated in powers of 2 (ie +/1 64 where 64 is 1 bar) and a speed multiplier - it's an odd quirk of Elektron gear, but it's easier to get the hang of than to explain in a single sentence. Yes, you can change the phase.

It's digital, but you may also want to consider an older VA like a Virus or AN1x.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How about the Novation Supernova?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Alesis Fusion 6HD
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Evolver?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Evolver crossed my mind too, but it doesn't do 2-op FM.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
an1x looks interesting... how well does its LFOs sync up and can they be routed everywhere?

is there a rack an1x?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
P12 does this and more, but it stirs polarised opinions.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Mutable Instruments Shruthi is what you want. Its amazing and very cheap! Real analogue filters (in many flavours)..digital waves, fm, chiptune and much much more. Best thing ive bought in 20 years
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreg ➑️
Evolver crossed my mind too, but it doesn't do 2-op FM.
What is that? 3 osc FM?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i do have shruthi. maybe i should look closer at that. i was hoping i could do all i wanted in one box and shruthi is mono... but youre probably right. thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer ➑️
What is that? 3 osc FM?
That's what I thought: "2-op" meaning "2 modulators, 1 carrier". But your question led me to google for the answer and it seems that "2-op" is the basic "1 modulator, 1 carrier" arrangement:
File:2op FM.svg - Wikimedia Commons

This is of course possible on the Evolver. I stand corrected.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ambika?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_brain ➑️
i do have shruthi. maybe i should look closer at that. i was hoping i could do all i wanted in one box and shruthi is mono... but youre probably right. thanks.
how about their Ambika then? Thats 6 part multi
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The fusions lfo's do sync to midi, the An1x's don't but you can use the FREEEG feature for this because they do sync, but it 's quite complex to set up.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Modcan FMDO + 4ms PEG + envelope and filter of your choosing.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
shruthi is satisfying that itch mostly so far. although ambika looks enticing. anybody have one to sell?
Old 14th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
shruthi is satisfying that itch mostly so far. although ambika looks enticing. anybody have one to sell?
Shruthi is great isnt it?! Im loving mine..
There are a couple of Ambikas on ebay at the moment..im tempted but I think I need a custom build..I want at least 3 voices of oberheim style filters in there

Last edited by Lifer; 14th March 2014 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
A used netbook, a sound card with MIDI and copy of FM. A dedicated computer that does one thing and one thing only is often fun and useful.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i would like a box that has at least 2 tempo syncable lfos that work well. it must play nice over midi, i would like it to have extensive mod routing. id like there to be a 2 operator FM capability, as well as a variety of analog waveforms with at least an analog lowpass.
probably more limited than what you have in mind but a yamaha tg33, which has 2 op fm, plus waves, 1 lfo, but no filter, fed through a korg ea-1 which has a filter and a 2nd wave that can alter the 1st wave (audio), might be interesting and close - and you can use the joystick on the tg33 for vector synthesis

i wish i had that setup :(
πŸ“ Reply