Quantcast
What Synthesizers?? Anthony Gonzalez (M83) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Synthesizers?? Anthony Gonzalez (M83)
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What Synthesizers?? Anthony Gonzalez (M83)

- Does anyone know the main synthesizers Anthony Gonzalez (M83) has?
- or the ones he uses more regularly?

I've read a few things with mentions of a room containing floor to ceiling synthesizers..

I think the start of this video features a few of them:

Thanks in advance!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Roland JX3P, Juno 106, JX-305, Korg Poly 61 are used a lot.
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by c242 ➑️
Roland JX3P, Juno 106, JX-305, Korg Poly 61 are used a lot.
Where did you get this info? I'm not questioning of its right or wrong - I LOVE these guys and they even survived a founding member leaving..
Lots and lots a verb (lush as hell) love to know which one.
He creates a lot of space, drama and dissonance so well.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
in the video

prophet 8
eurorack modular
jx3p
i believe an ensoniq sampler

but it doesn't matter ... he has a ton of vintage and modular gear and since he was recording for a major label, access to whatever he wanted.

and his synth programming is rarely incredibly complicated. i think he said the dimension d was super important when recording s=y. and obviously reverb is of utmost importance.

solid classic synth sounds with great production and huge drum fills

it's not complicated -- he's just a talented song writer and the songs are produced very well. you could get the sounds off most analog synths and probably a vst as well
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes I'm sure I saw a video with a modular and a bloody big one at that and you can certainly hear that sound all over their records.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma ➑️
Yes I'm sure I saw a video with a modular and a bloody big one at that and you can certainly hear that sound all over their records.
you are probably thinking about this one

Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Back in the "before the dawn heals us" days I remember him making a big deal out of his jx groove keyboard.

Don't know if he still fancies it though.

A lot of the indie darlings from the more electronic genres about a decade ago loved the mc505 and its derivatives. Peaches, MIA, m83 I know for a fact.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton ➑️
Back in the "before the dawn heals us" days I remember him making a big deal out of his jx groove keyboard.

Don't know if he still fancies it though.

A lot of the indie darlings from the more electronic genres about a decade ago loved the mc505 and its derivatives. Peaches, MIA, m83 I know for a fact.
hah when i first moved came to NYC in 2005 roland grooveboxes were EVERYWHERE
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I do remember reading from several sources that M83 used a JX-305 on "Before The Dawn Heals Us."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde ➑️
hah when i first moved came to NYC in 2005 roland grooveboxes were EVERYWHERE
For some reason the hipsters really loved them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
electroclash in a box

one dude making postpunk / cheez techno beats, one chick in "artsy" makeup to sing on stage
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
electroclash in a box

one dude making postpunk / cheez techno beats, one chick in "artsy" makeup to sing on stage
Sounds like Crystal Castles

I saw them in 2011, the synth stuff was really cheesy at times, and I kept thinking if the kids knew it was cheese?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I can't speak for hipsters, but I've liked grooveboxes since they first came out, and I still use them quite a bit. I own a lot of equipment that's much more high end and powerful than any groovebox, but for some reason I like working within the limits of what grooveboxes can do, and the fact that it's all self contained. It's great to sit with an MC-909 or RS-7000 in your lap and work up rhythms and bass lines.

I only wish Roland, Korg, and Yamaha they had taken the concept further.

For Korg it would have been an easy evolution. Just take the build quality, xox style sequencing, and drum sounds of the EMX/ESX, add in the analog modeling and vocoding of the R3 or Radias, and give it knobs and a 3 or 4 octave keyboard, and sell it for under $1,000. Hell, they could even add two monophonic analog voices (two volca keys engines), bump the price up to $1500, and there would be a 6 month waiting list to own one. I realize that someone could just construct this setup in pieces, but again I think the all-in-one approach would be a hit.

For Yamaha, all they needed to do was take the RS7000, keep the sequencer, upgrade the display and give it the Motif ES's wave ROM and PLG support (or just throw the AN and DX cards in there as stock features), and give it a 4x4 pad matrix like the MPC, and it would have been a dream machine. A multi-synth engine sampling groovebox with a yamaha sequencer and the RS's mastering effects. Basically it would have been a Motif ES (i.e. before they discontinued PLG support) in groovebox form.

In the case of Roland, we can already see the direction they've taken. They basically broke apart the groove box concept into its components, abandoned sample playback in favor of modeling, and called it AIRA. Not a bad move if it sounds good.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
7wVe check out the new akai beatbox - the product spiel doesn't mention any PCM samples so it looks to be all analog with a bass synth for $200? I'm not making this up
Old 6th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I also really love M83's music
and I've read some interviews after the last album went hit that
his favorite synths at that moment were his jx-3p and dotcom synth.
actually my interest for jx3p grew and I bought one after I saw the youtube video OP linked.
Very first founding when I got my 3p was that even the preset sounds were quite similar already to those synth pad and arp sounds in his recent albums.

here are some production insight last album co-producer Justin Meldal Johnsen revealed. it's from bass player forum.
The M83 Album. - TalkBass Forums

Quote:
Justin,

I read your post about the M83 album. I think it would be interesting for other people, as well as myself if you told us a little about the production of the album. I put together a few questions as guides. If you have time and don't mind answering of course.

Certainly.

First can you explain a little about what sequencer you used for the drums on the album? The programing is pretty incredible and I am sure VERY time consuming. Did you sequence outboard, or use, for example, Battery, or a samples in some kind of DAW?

The electronic drums were sequenced a variety of ways, notably Ableton Live, Battery, and drum machines for "sub sequences" using things like an Elektron, a Dave Smith Tempest, and a few old pieces I have that I keep secret.

For basic tracking of drums, bass, some guitars, choirs, percussion, strings, etc. we exported everything from Ableton Live into ProTools when we went over to Sunset Sound for the weeks we spent there. For the most part we stayed in ProTools, but often had "parallel" sessions running in Ableton so we could keep programming in that environment until the very end.

There are a lot of lush pad's and reverbs. I loved the electro organic mixture between the acoustic guitar and the synths on the album. Were these verbs outboard? What kind of verb's did you use?

A lot of the verbs that you hear are Lexicon PCM70, Yamaha Rev 7, Eventide H3000, Demeter RealVerb, and AMS. Then there's a bunch that are hold-overs from Ableton Live which are some plug-in reverbs.

Claudia Lewis is probably my fave on the album. I love how you switched back and forth from a Moog(?) and live bass. What really stood out was the 80's drum kit. Can you tell us more about the kit? Was it a kit off a vintage synth?

Thanks! That was a proper Simmons SDS5, in fact. Played by Joey Waronker.

Can you tell us a little about your creative process? Did the other guy do the drums and you played the instruments? Did he bring you the song's roughed and you polished them? Did you guys work in the studio together, or work independently?

That's a dense question, or questions, to answer...but good questions nonetheless. Let me outline it in brief:

All of the songs were written primarily by Anthony Gonzalez and myself, with musical and lyrical contributions from Morgan Kibby, and lyrical contributions from Yann Gonzalez. Each piece of music usually evolved from a live "jam" in the studio that Anthony and I would do. This would take shape as the roughest components of a song in Live. Then we would gradually and progressively chip away at the marble, so to speak.

It was a free-for-all, in terms of who performed or programmed what. We shared all kinds of duties, and who did what would change from song to song very comfortably.

Occasionally we would work separately, but it was largely the two of us in the lab. Dozens more song ideas were started and not finished. Probably a good 30-40. Of those, perhaps 10 got to be more complete recordings but were left off the record.
Old 10th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Juno 106, M83 influence

I ended up getting a Juno 106... and love it!

if you want to check out a track I did using my Juno, has a little M83 influence, but perhaps just a bit more 'drive' (the movie).

what do you think?
Old 14th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
electroclash in a box

You just described about 5 years of Melbourne shows right there - good memories
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leone Western ➑️
I ended up getting a Juno 106... and love it!

if you want to check out a track I did using my Juno, has a little M83 influence, but perhaps just a bit more 'drive' (the movie).

what do you think?
Not bad, not bad at all. Hwever I didn't like the drums, I'm not sure but they are hanging behind in a way and being too quantized. Need more swing or something to make them more offbeat to drive the song. Drums is the foundation and carry the rest and when they are off it stumble. But other than that I like the sound and the vocal :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pser ➑️
Not bad, not bad at all. Hwever I didn't like the drums, I'm not sure but they are hanging behind in a way and being too quantized. Need more swing or something to make them more offbeat to drive the song. Drums is the foundation and carry the rest and when they are off it stumble. But other than that I like the sound and the vocal :-)
And this is very true of some oh his/their best work - Kim and Jessie was a Simmons played by Joey waronka. You just can't program like a drummer can play. I've been playing for 25 years and I can't program anywhere near what I can play
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Btw, since were talking about M83.

Do you like the song

INTRO - this song is soo good. I play all the time when I'm taking a shower. I love it.

REUNION - now this song rox my sox. heard it? pretty cool eh.

M83 rox, it's a combination of Indie/New Wave/some synthpop sounds/Alternative. I really like M83. I'm a fan. He's now lives in my city, Los Angeles. I hope to bump into him at Starbucks lol . Really, he deserves air play on KROQ which he does. I also like his Oblivion soundtrack(Tom Cruise movie)

I was shocked that he has an Arturia BRUTE's synths.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
LOVE M83.

I also love the fact that I hear my 3p and Ensoniq EPS all over the place on their stuff. Ensoniq in general has an extremely lush sound that I find a lot of people miss, by skipping over these old brutes. Their truly fantastic instruments, and being as my music is incredibly melodic, very useful to what I do.

alexP
Old 14th June 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
sweet, cheers for the feedback guys.
πŸ“ Reply