Produce music in travelling - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Produce music in travelling
Old 9th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Produce music in travelling

Hi!
I just registerd to the board but read posts from him for a long time, and its awesome but now i need some more individual answers.

Well im creating electronic music, usually its psychedelic trance and psy-psychill im searching for the best soultion beside monitors to create my music, that mostly because im planning to go a long trip that will give me my silence to concentrate in this, so im trying to create the perfect bundle for it, the macbook pro i already have so im covered with that, what im searching is abcorse
a solution with headphones, i want to buy the vrm box i think it will upgrade it for me to make a reference or just choose a good mode to produce on him that will be close as possible to what i need.

so first of all a recommendation on portable good audio interface that will be good for my home studio for the monitors as well will be good.
for now im thinking about those three:
Apogee duet
RME baby face
focusrite forte

i will use maximum one synth and 1 microphone connected to him at the time for now.

my budget for this is around 2000 dollar

and second one much more importent at the moment is the headphones, i saw the hd800 is "perfect" for this buy i can afford it at the moment, so around 300 dollar (200 dollar even better because i will get it outside my country) what are the best choice for my use? if the price will be bit higher but worth the difference i would like to hear too, thank you very much for all the helpers!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Apogee duet is perfect for that purpose. The new ATH M series is in your budget and are very nice cans.

Maybe a field recorder too, if you're going to be in nature?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
RME Babyface for the win, got one and i love mine. Built like a tank, good drivers and fantastic sound. You can't really go wrong with RME.
In regards to headphones, go and test some. I'd say the best ones are are AKG K701/2 if they are price check out the Shure SRH series. The AKG got some bass problems but you need to get used to them, in my opinion they are the best choice(in a reasonable price) when you don't have any monitors around you.

Apart from that also buy a pair of regular headphones something that the average person will use, like skull candy or whatever just to double check your mix.
I'd also get some sort of a small controller maybe, Maschine Mikro or the regular MK2 if you can fit it, it makes life a lot easier this way. As someone who did a fair share of travelling, don't compromise on quality, rather stretch the budget just a bit more to get quality gear. Make sure that whatever it is that you buy is built to last, cause if something breaks when you're on the road it's a pain in the ass.
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
yea rme is good im using the fireface800 now, but i really dont know how the apogee so worth the check, for the controller section i take novation sl mk2 i think that with the ableton are perfect from what i saw and read.

the main discussion is the headphones the akg seems good and will stretch the budget for them if they will be the answar for what om looking, i would like to get more opinions

thanks!!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I´ve got a proper room with Adam A7X and Apogee Duet 2 but I do 70% on the Macbook Pro speakers, 20% in Sennheiser HD25 DJ cans and 10% on the Adams!

I wouldn´t record anyone not using the Adams though, but the Macbook speakers are awesome! I make house, progressive and techno and my stuff comes out really good!
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU ➡️
I´ve got a proper room with Adam A7X and Apogee Duet 2 but I do 70% on the Macbook Pro speakers, 20% in Sennheiser HD25 DJ cans and 10% on the Adams!

I wouldn´t record anyone not using the Adams though, but the Macbook speakers are awesome! I make house, progressive and techno and my stuff comes out really good!
really with the speakers? they maybe good compare to laptops but cant see myself doing in the something more then listening to music.

but i would like to hear more about the apogee, especialy compare to the rme im very confused about this
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
producing music while traveling is not healthy, if you continue producing while traveling you'll look like skrillex in few days.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eq_1084 ➡️
producing music while traveling is not healthy, if you continue producing while traveling you'll look like skrillex in few days.
haha explain yourself dude
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted 60622ed
Ive been making some tracks on the road since last January.

I took Spark, maschinedrum, r8, virus TI, mopho, and an arturia keyboard. Along with a macbookpro, a focusrite 18i6, and dt770s. Been to three countries in three continents.

The macbookpro burnt out its logic board in two months, replaced it with a viao. The maschinedrum has burned out its pcb board twice...ive been carting it around dead since July. After my last move in January I havent bothered taking the virus, mopho, and R8 out of the suitcase.

Tbh Spark, a midi keyboard, and software wouldve been enough. i replaced the focusrite with a vrm box...I like it for tracking, and its great for referencing...you can finish a mix. I've came very close. Whatever you do travel light. i made a big mistake with all the stuff I brought. I bought a pair of cheap nearfields and just left them here as well, I dont know what I was thinking...dumbass
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted 60622ed
The virus snow would be my choice of synth.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oh man, virus snow, AT 4047, good set of cans and apogee duet with a laptop full of softsynths...that would have been my dream setup in college...

For me, I'd do a MacBook Pro, AT4047, set of cans you like (it's a personal preference), small MIDI controller like the Beatstep or those little korg things, Ableton push or Maschine, and something analog as a regular synth.

Another route to go is an OP-1, set of cans, a mic...that's about it...use the Mac to curate.

My iPad excites me more and more when it comes to music creation. I'm two pieces away from having an ipad-based live rig instead of a laptop...

Or, go minimal. Headphones, USB mic, small controller, laptop. You don't actually NEED anything else. Spend the rest of your budget on experiences while travelling.

If I lived a more transient lifestyle, I'd be collecting little compact controllers like the Akai MPD, an EWI, that mini harp thing, etc. I don't think OTB is good for portability.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're using ableton and want hardware synthesis, it's super easy to combine it with something like minibrute. If you want polyphony, you can create a basic patch in simpler from the raw analog wave forms or samples.
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
hey dudes i know which kind of gear i need and want to take but again im need the help with choose an headphones not synths... so please help me with the headphone thing and the apogee vs rme babyface thing
thanks!!!
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
duet vs babyface: they're both fantastic and quite sturdy -- i wouldn't lose sleep over it and see which one you can get the best deal on second hand

i have had the duet for three years now, gigged with it, traveled with it, and everything, so if i had to pick one, i'd go that way

headphones: you might want both enclosed and open ones if you're going to be spending a lot of time in cans.

ath m50 and k250s would be a good combo
Deleted 60622ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycasso ➡️
hey dudes i know which kind of gear i need and want to take but again im need the help with choose an headphones not synths... so please help me with the headphone thing and the apogee vs rme babyface thing
thanks!!!
no one reads the first post...evah

you should take a virus snow and use Reaper...have you thought about an mpc?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➡️
no one reads the first post...evah

you should take a virus snow and use Reaper...have you thought about an mpc?
hahah i have virus, but for now live the synth things only mac+vrmbox+headphones+audio interface and probley a little midi keyboard controller like novation sl-mk2

more then that will be impossible to traveling with im not going to hotels in europe its more india style travelling
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
focusrite forte instead of the duet...
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I record and produce on the go at lest 3 to 4 times a week. I have a MOTU ultralight and a Roland Integra 7 inside a 4U portable Gator case. MacBook Pro, a 25 key keyboard, an iPad running touchable for ableton and to edit sounds on the Integra 7.

As for headphone, i have the focal Spirit Pro headphones. They can be had for $350. They are awesome! Look into those before you buy what's popular.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would suggest getting a used ipad like I did, around $325, and the touchable app is $25.

That software will control ALL of ableton, it's really great! Also, there's a midi keyboard and midi drum pads in the software, so you won't have to buy more controllers. And then you have an iPad too
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I 'm in a similar situation and I have 2 related questions:
1- Anyone uses Apogee One for ipad here? It has built in mic and 24 bit 96 khz recording and dac. Sounds very promising. And using both with ios devices and mac is another plus point. On the other hand, Duet offers 192 khz but without a built-in microphone. Does the difference in khz worth buying Duet?
2- And my other question is; can Sennheiser HD25 ii's be used for producing&mixing purposes? I know it's a DJ can but I'd like to have something which I can use both for DJing and producing on the couch/road.
thanks in advance
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't believe in 192khz.

Use whatever headphones you want, but check everything on other speakers, always.
Old 11th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
sure im gonna check it anyway but still cant get an clear direction which headphone to take
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by channaD ➡️
I record and produce on the go at lest 3 to 4 times a week. I have a MOTU ultralight and a Roland Integra 7 inside a 4U portable Gator case. MacBook Pro, a 25 key keyboard, an iPad running touchable for ableton and to edit sounds on the Integra 7.

As for headphone, i have the focal Spirit Pro headphones. They can be had for $350. They are awesome! Look into those before you buy what's popular.
i read about the focal, you made me very intersting abcourse about the fact that you always pay more for the name, and they look great with great reviews and really seems to be designed for the need of studio speakers when you want get the real image of the sound, so tell me a bit are they really give real image and could make me produce my music without too much worries when youare not using studio monitors?
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycasso ➡️
i read about the focal, you made me very intersting abcourse about the fact that you always pay more for the name, and they look great with great reviews and really seems to be designed for the need of studio speakers when you want get the real image of the sound, so tell me a bit are they really give real image and could make me produce my music without too much worries when you are not using studio monitors?
Here's my review of the headphones on my blog (website isn't fully finished yet):

Focal Spirit Pro Review | Instrumental Playground | Blog

I only use the Focal headphones to write/track/produce when I am away from my studio. I have a pair of KRK VXT8s that I love to use in the studio.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
im about to order the focal, does someone have other opinion about something else in the same budget?
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1 on the Focal Pro's. Fantastic headphones for mixing.
They are miles ahead the Audio Technica M50s and a lot
easier to do full mixes on compared to my AKG K-702s.
The Audio Technicas lack mid-range clarity and presence
and the AKGs are a little weak in the lower end. The Focals
are very well balanced across the entire frequency spectrum,
and they translate so well to my monitors that I don't mind
doing about 80% of my mixing on them.
Old 15th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
fine im will buy them in few days.
i didnt find anything bad about them over the net and i read a lot, everybody talk about that do made perfectly for my porpuse
sounds to good to be true
📝 Reply