Quantcast
Midi Sound Modules? What has become of them? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Midi Sound Modules? What has become of them?
Old 20th November 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have the TriplePLay and the Kenton USB -> MIDI converter shown earlier which I plug into the Roland XV-2020 which I bought secondhand recently (also shown earlier). This combination works really well. You can use the TriplePlay software on your computer to set the sensitivity of the pickup as well as do things like map the guitar fretboard so that only a specified range of frets will create a given sound. Once configured you can load that configuration into the TriplePlay pickup itself and recall it when using the pickup with a sound module like the XV-2020. The only problem I have at the moment is that I use a newish Mac and I cannot find an editor for the XV-2020 that will work. All the software I have found is for Windows or earlier Power PC Macs. So at the moment I can't configure the XV-2020 beyond the factory settings.
Old 20th November 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd100 ➑️
I have the TriplePLay and the Kenton USB -> MIDI converter shown earlier which I plug into the Roland XV-2020 which I bought secondhand recently (also shown earlier). This combination works really well. You can use the TriplePlay software on your computer to set the sensitivity of the pickup as well as do things like map the guitar fretboard so that only a specified range of frets will create a given sound. Once configured you can load that configuration into the TriplePlay pickup itself and recall it when using the pickup with a sound module like the XV-2020. The only problem I have at the moment is that I use a newish Mac and I cannot find an editor for the XV-2020 that will work. All the software I have found is for Windows or earlier Power PC Macs. So at the moment I can't configure the XV-2020 beyond the factory settings.
Good to see that someone else is finally doing it. I knew that Fishman recommended the Kenton, but oddly they never made any demos or user manuals for using the TripleTalk with sound modules.

Oddly, I am now in a band with two Keyboard players so I have no more need for the midi guitar - still cool to have it, though.
Old 21st November 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yamaha Motif modules, E-MU Proteus 2500 are worth their going prices, Integra 7 is king, V-Synth XT is fantastic, as well.
Old 21st November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes the used is still booming as well. Old Roland rack-mounts are still very good.
Old 3rd November 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
For $199, I got Logic Pro X from the Apple App Store. It has an AMAZING library of samples! Bosendorfer piano, All kinds of Classic Fender Rhodes, Instruments from around the World, and even the classic Mellotron Flutes So much cheaper than physical hardware! Maybe that's why older "MIDI sound modules" are either so hard to find or so expensive.
Old 9th November 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I haven't been here for a long time but I made this video of my live Fishman rig 18 months ago. It is self explanatory.

By the way - I saw Fishman at the last NAMM and they were discussing building a USB hub like the Kenton, but their was custom made to interface with the fishman and had some added options (that basically duplicated the already available options in the software & controller).

Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear
The Korg M!R is another classic sound module with a great variety of sounds to consider. There are a few of them on Ebay for less than $200. The Kurzweil 1000 series sound modules also have some great multi sampled sounds and are super cheap (less than $100).
Old 10th November 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1 on the Kurzweil sound modules. These things were fuc*ing incredible when they came out.
πŸ“ Reply