Quantcast
Serial Midi Interfaces/Patchbays - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Serial Midi Interfaces/Patchbays
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Serial Midi Interfaces/Patchbays

I'm rapidly coming into need of a better midi routing solution besides daisy chaining all my gear together. While it would be nice to have a USB port, I work OTB 95% of the time, and find it hard to justify spending the money when there are a lot of older options out there in the $40 range. I've read that the Motu MTP AV can be used standalone, but what other options are out there? How difficult are they to use, especially if you can't locate a manual? I'm ideally looking for something that is 8 in and out, and will let me merge data between an Octatrack and keyboard to other gear.

There are times that I will need to have computer connectivity, of course. Is it possible to use a USB/midi interface connected to the patchbay to send and receive data if necessary?
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent ➑️
I'm rapidly coming into need of a better midi routing solution besides daisy chaining all my gear together. While it would be nice to have a USB port, I work OTB 95% of the time, and find it hard to justify spending the money when there are a lot of older options out there in the $40 range. I've read that the Motu MTP AV can be used standalone, but what other options are out there? How difficult are they to use, especially if you can't locate a manual? I'm ideally looking for something that is 8 in and out, and will let me merge data between an Octatrack and keyboard to other gear.

There are times that I will need to have computer connectivity, of course. Is it possible to use a USB/midi interface connected to the patchbay to send and receive data if necessary?
Roland A880 is the interface you are looking for, and yes you may use a usb/midi interface
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet ➑️
Roland A880 is the interface you are looking for, and yes you may use a usb/midi interface
Good luck finding one for $40...
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Is it possible to use a USB/midi interface connected to the patchbay to send and receive data if necessary?
yes - i'm doing this with an old j l cooper msb plus 8x8 patchbay - i got mine for 15 bucks because the pawnshop owner couldn't find an adapter and didn't really know what it was
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bumping this because I'm still looking for suggestions and information. Any other decent choices?
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

The Motu is great. Use that.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo ➑️
The Motu is great. Use that.
Is the MTP AV the best/easiest to use standalone? I know there was also a 1 and 2, the Express...lots of different options, but it's a bit unclear which ones would be good to look at sans a computer (and possibly a manual).
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yea the motu is good stuff. Can't believe these things don't really exist new anymore. Such a useful piece of kit for otb stuff. It was never as easy to use as the boxes with sliders and detents but its still pretty easy and much much deeper like split by channel instead of just cables, plus you get some user memory for different routings. I've got the MTP av (the version right before the USB ones came out) couldn't recommend t enough over other boxes I've used.

I've also got a simple casio through box that I use for live performances two inputs, 8 outs, switches at each output to determine the midi source. I use it for live stuff so I don't have to move my racks. It's called a tb-1. It runs off batteries or an adaptor.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Planet ➑️
i think you mean um-880. the a-880 was a patchbay only, no usb.

and yeah they regularly sell for more than $300-400 on ebay so this is not really the most cost effective option.

if you're on a mac, the unitor 8/amt8 are probably the cheapest way to go, they can act like patchbays and can have serial or usb, but they won't work on new versions of windows due to lack of modern drivers...they work fine on linux/mac though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero ➑️

and yeah they regularly sell for more than $300-400 on ebay so this is not really the most cost effective option.

if you're on a mac, the unitor 8/amt8 are probably the cheapest way to go, they can act like patchbays and can have serial or usb, but they won't work on new versions of windows due to lack of modern drivers...they work fine on linux/mac though.
Are there OSX drivers for these then?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Are there OSX drivers for these then?
yes, they work fine in OSX. I think they pretty much work out of the box on OSX, as they do on linux.

I'm somewhat surprised no one's written a new windows driver, they're practically USB compliant midi devices, with one minor exception, they prepend information regarding which port the data should go to in front of the midi messages. I even hacked up the driver in linux once to support daisy-chaining, it sort of worked, but it wasn't perfect, although I am not the greatest C programmer, hah.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I could also use the midi I/O on my Saffire Pro 40 to the I/O on the Motu MTP AV, right? Seems like that would be my best solution. I'd lose a port on the Motu, but I'd also save a USB port, which I am in short supply of.

Also, are you likely to run into complications from chaining from devices coming off the patchbay? Like if I had my Monomachine set to receive clock and transport from another device like the Octatrack, but wanted to sequence a few devices directly from the Mono via the Mono's midi out?
Old 20th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

What I meant is that he may use a separate usb to midi cable.
Didn't realize they were in that price range though, must have been very lucky with mine, it was around 150, so it may be worth the effort to keep a lookout for it at least. It works like a charm though, and one of the few around that does not require computer connection.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
About UM-880… (and UM-550)

Quote:
yes, they work fine in OSX. I think they pretty much work out of the box on OSX, as they do on linux.

I'm somewhat surprised no one's written a new windows driver, they're practically USB compliant midi devices, with one minor exception, they prepend information regarding which port the data should go to in front of the midi messages. I even hacked up the driver in linux once to support daisy-chaining, it sort of worked, but it wasn't perfect, although I am not the greatest C programmer, hah.
No need for anyone else to write a new driver for Windows. Roland has up-to-date drivers for many revisions of OSX up to 10.9 (Mavericks) and Windows drivers up to 8.1 here:
UM-880 :: Downloads :: Support :: Roland

Or they can be switched to run as class compliant devices (see page 49 of the owners manual that you can download from roland.com). This means they will run using the drivers already in the OS from Apple or Microsoft.

Roland's drivers work slightly better with lower MIDI jitter, probably worth doing the install.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMike ➑️

No need for anyone else to write a new driver for Windows. Roland has up-to-date drivers for many revisions of OSX up to 10.9 (Mavericks) and Windows drivers up to 8.1 here:

Or they can be switched to run as class compliant devices (see page 49 of the owners manual that you can download from roland.com). This means they will run using the drivers already in the OS from Apple or Microsoft.

Roland's drivers work slightly better with lower MIDI jitter, probably worth doing the install.
As it turns out, I found a Unitor 8 MkII for $75 that will arrive Saturday. However, since you mentioned the Edirol interfaces, I have a line on a UM-550 for stupidly cheap that I may pick up in addition. Being class compliant, I'm curious if it could work with the iPad...used in conjunction with MidiBridge, I could see that being really powerful.
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i bid on 2 usb motu mtp av and won both. only needed 1. i have the serial version too and the rs422 cable needed to network them. im willing to get rid of a set for what i paid, complete with usb and power cables. thats 16 ins and outs!
Old 20th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have a Digital Music Corp MX-8, a standalone MIDI patch bay with presets and some MIDI effects, 6 in, 8 out. Got it for less than $50 and love it!

Manual here:
http://www.voodoolab.com/manuals/mx8_manual.pdf
Old 20th March 2014
bry
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
(duplicate post)
Old 21st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMike ➑️

i'm not talking about the um-880, rather, the amt8/unitor8
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you just wanted to route MIDI and don't need USB the Kawai Mav8 is brilliant. I got one at studio that was selling up for $40.
Old 23rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I have a Unitor 8 MkII on the way, but I'm on Mountain Lion and it looks like the only OSX editor does not work on ML: Unitor8 Preference Pane

So I'm a little concerned about how I'm going to configure the thing once I get it. Any chance you can do this from the Audio/Midi utility?
πŸ“ Reply