How do you Match (layer?) sounds! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How do you Match (layer?) sounds!
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
How do you Match (layer?) sounds!

HI!
so youve all been so helpful with all my questions, i thought i will ask another
whats you process when layering sounds?
im not talking about the technique (but feel free to share) but to process.

do you just hear it a few times and think about what to do next, or just trying different presets blindly (great things can come from mistakes!)? and if you DO think before hand, what are your considerations?

and if we are on the subject - how do you choose sounds from scratch (not layering)?
for example - if you have a really saw bass that plays long notes do you say to yourself "well i should first try a squareish lead with short notes"?

thanks!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just slave the first to the other so Im playing from 1 keyboard, then choose a sound I like from that, flick through what Ive made on the other, adjust tempo of modulation and such to fit if theres one almost there.
Make a new sound If I get the feeling Ive tried it all before, but usually Ill have made sounds on either in the time between trying layering.
If I have a layer I like enough Ill continue playing with blending them, levels, effects, perhaps play different lines on the sounds now that I have two that fit, or add other stuff.

Theres no real sequential thought, just listening and knowing how to change the sound you hear quickly, so I think Id be stuck trying to make two synths I couldnt program fit together good enough with presets.
Same with starting from scratch, just change a parameter at a time and dont change the bit you like, be it the oscillator, filter mod, or whatever unless the other stuff gets more interesting and begs for a different pulsewidth or something.
Works best with knobby synths offcourse and more limited menu based ones.

But thats me, many have a better grasp of structure and so might actually think things through, but thats hard for me so would be waaaay to slow :D

I have more experience painting so thats a comparison I have in my head, that Im painting the sounds, so each sound is little scetches and you continue filling the imagined (and aural) space , so its not so much layering as expanding and sometimes overpainting and filling in what youve done already I think.
(Layering just sounds messy as a description, you want your sounds to be seen and have their own space )
I rarely finish a painting by that comparison, but theres a lot to learn, it just takes time and youll still get where youve made smaller beauty inbetween.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…