Quantcast
is there some sort of sound design bible out there? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is there some sort of sound design bible out there?
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
is there some sort of sound design bible out there?

That's really what I'm looking for just something that I can put my fingers on to make sense of everything. I am just totally lost here , don't get me wrong there are things that I can do, I can make a chorus pad or a pluck or a groovy sub bass line , but its those sounds that you just can't quite put your fingers on , those wtf sounds that I am having a hard time coming to grasb with , its most often the ones that are overlooked the ones that fill up the empty spaces, the ones that despite sitting in the backround make your songs come into full circle.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try dancemusicproduction.com. Fundamental 1 is pretty good for those wtf percussive sounds.

If you are already familiar with sound design, then experimentation is the real key.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Jeremy ➡️
That's really what I'm looking for just something that I can put my fingers on to make sense of everything. I am just totally lost here , don't get me wrong there are things that I can do, I can make a chorus pad or a pluck or a groovy sub bass line , but its those sounds that you just can't quite put your fingers on , those wtf sounds that I am having a hard time coming to grasb with , its most often the ones that are overlooked the ones that fill up the empty spaces, the ones that despite sitting in the backround make your songs come into full circle.
There are a few options for you to consider:

1. Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook

2. Steal This Sound by Mitchell Sigman

3. A program called Syntorial might be worth a look

4. Pick one simple synth, read the manual, and slowly try every oscillator combination with all the filter and modulation options you can think of. Stick with that synth until you feel you've exploited everything it can offer (although you probably haven't), then move on to a more full-featured synth and repeat.

Ultimately it comes down to practice. Program the most obvious part of the sound first (perhaps the amp envelope), then continue from there.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Yeah like I am familiar with it but at the same time I'm not familiar with it ya know ? Its like incognito cognito... I just found myself reaching for the same weapons every time ....here let me modulate this pitch with this LFO hey let me use the cut off with the amplifier .
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity castro ➡️
There are a few options for you to consider:

1. Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook

2. Steal This Sound by Mitchell Sigman

3. A program called Syntorial might be worth a look

4. Pick one simple synth, read the manual, and slowly try every oscillator combination with all the filter and modulation options you can think of. Stick with that synth until you feel you've exploited everything it can offer (although you probably haven't), then move on to a more full-featured synth and repeat.

Ultimately it comes down to practice. Program the most obvious part of the sound first (perhaps the amp envelope), then continue from there.
+1
📝 Reply