Quantcast
JV1080 Patches: squelchy, buzzy, atmospheric pads, abstract sounds, ear candy. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JV1080 Patches: squelchy, buzzy, atmospheric pads, abstract sounds, ear candy.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
JV1080 Patches: squelchy, buzzy, atmospheric pads, abstract sounds, ear candy.

Ok.. bought a JV1080 yesterday . . .

Tried to program it from front panel --- screamed with frustration.

Tried an editor .. MUCH better … but I’ve lived long enough to know that programming sounds isn’t my forte…. I wasted a lot of time and don’t have much of it to waste... :¬(

So looking for the VERY best synth analogue emulation patches ..: squelchy, buzzy, atmospheric pads, abstract sounds, ear candy ttype of thing would be great … I’m not really bothered too much about impressions of acoustic instruments.

I’m just trying to save some time and cut down on all the trial and error with google searches, I figured it would make sense to draw on the experience of people who have already been using JV1080 patches for a while… so recommendations of patches (free patches would be nice!) ... would be very appreciated.

Thanks Very kindly . . .
Old 7th March 2014

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Three should be a ton of those online in SYX format. You can also search for JV-80 patches since 1080 can import those as well with some modification to the resonance amount.

ie http://www.mawek.com/roland/patches.html

There should be more as well.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
Three should be a ton of those online in SYX format. You can also search for JV-80 patches since 1080 can import those as well with some modification to the resonance amount.

ie Patches for JV/XP-series

There should be more as well.
Many kind thanks to you Don ... i didn't know about the compatibility between 1080 & JV-80 .. so I’ve learned something already.

Whilst messing around today I had the 1080 and a Yammy CS6R going through a few mixer channels and was pleasantly surprised at how well the sounds combine…. So instead of struggling with creating sounds from scratch (which is not my strength, I’m going to try combining presets from the two modules using that as a starting point – I think it’ll be much easier and quicker for me that way.

Old 7th March 2014

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Heh. This thread made me sit in front of my good old XP-50 and do some quick programming. Here's a simple acid bass i've made (as heard in the demo below). Hope you find it useful:

016-AcidBass.syx

(Had to press the REC i just love the sound of this synth - it's so musical)
Attached Files

XP50.mp3 (1.48 MB, 7760 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Heh. This thread made me sit in front of my good old XP-50 and do some quick programming. Here's a simple acid bass i've made (as heard in the demo below). Hope you find it useful:

016-AcidBass.syx

Well .... Just like that eh ?? :¬) …. if only I could download your expertise!!

I’ve sat all day infront of the JV1080, I can hear it has potential but somehow I cannot eek it out of it. Presently trying to figure out how to do something as simple as loading a sysex file into Sonar .. ?!?! …the answer is on Google somewhere … it’s just a matter of time before I find it . . . :¬)

Many thanks for the demonstration – I would like to be able to produce such sounds so quickly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

016-AcidBass.syx

Don,

Love the phased out noise pad you have going up the middle.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnstile ➡️
Don,

Love the phased out noise pad you have going up the middle.
+1
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict
What's available in terms of JV-1080 editors on the Mac? I'd love to get one, I've had my 1080 since they first came out….
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't exactly say the JV series is underrated, because of its history, but I feel like it doesn't get its due thanks to the cheesy associations of romplers to terrible 90s tv soundtracks and wedding bands.

This is a demo by GSer Dhollmusik, that really shows what these things are capable of. The last 5 minutes are absolutely fantastic.

Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlia ➡️
+1
Agree the phased sound is great. Right I'm off to unbox my 5080 never going to part with my Roland racks!

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Presently trying to figure out how to do something as simple as loading a sysex file into Sonar .. ?!?!
Midi OX program is all you need. In Options select your midi device. Then go to View / Sysex. In there select File / Send Sysex file.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
JV1080 or the Korg TR Rack - Which is easier to program?

Does anyone have a preference between which one works in a mix better: the JV1080 or the Korg TR Rack ? … so many opinions over the net favour the Korg in terms of their initial sounds … and it does seem to have some good presets from what i've heard … but everytime I listen a demo of the Korg TR I hear a kind of ‘sheen’ ‘glaze’ ‘gloss’ which I’m curious about… I wonder whether eventually that intrinsic character of sound would irritate me a little in the mix.

People say the 1080 is a bit 'shiny' in character ... but i don't feel it's anywhere near as 'hyped' as the TR .. but i could be mistaken ...

Are these observations wrong? Anyone have or used both?

Not so sure why I’m curious about the Korg as I’ve heard that it too is tricky to program…
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Does anyone have a preference between which one works in a mix better: the JV1080 or the Korg TR Rack ? … so many opinions over the net favour the Korg in terms of their initial sounds … and it does seem to have some good presets from what i've heard … but everytime I listen a demo of the Korg TR I hear a kind of ‘sheen’ ‘glaze’ ‘gloss’ which I’m curious about… I wonder whether eventually that intrinsic character of sound would irritate me a little in the mix.

People say the 1080 is a bit 'shiny' in character ... but i don't feel it's anywhere near as 'hyped' as the TR .. but i could be mistaken ...

Are these observations wrong? Anyone have or used both?

Not so sure why I’m curious about the Korg as I’ve heard that it too is tricky to program…
I think it depends on what you have going on in the mix. I have the 2080 and the Tr Rack side by side and know what you mean about the 'sparkle' and 'sheen' on the TR, it seems to have the high end polish to it but sometimes it can seem a bit overpowering or overly bright and the patches can seem a bit too complicated (its panel is a nightmare to program). The JV series do seem a little more subdued, a lot of people called them 'bread and butter' synths and this they do very well in a mix, filling it out more with background pads and sounds, soft basses etc. Plus if you know the type of patch you are after you can expand the JV series with the cards, with the TR you are stuck with 512 patches.
Generally I find I use the JV for general padding out etc and the TR for leads or solo lines and together in this way I tend to find they work quite well together. However other people may do it differently.
Old 8th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Almost forgot, to the original op, if you are wanting analogue emulations etc, you may have to look at the expansions you can get for your synth, especially the SR-JV80 04 'Vintage Synth' card which will add 256 patches to your 1080, plus additional sampled analogue waveforms if you want to program your own. Problem is it isn't free (about £120 the last time I looked). If interested check the demos out at SR-JV80-04
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolyMac ➡️
I think it depends on what you have going on in the mix. I have the 2080 and the Tr Rack side by side and know what you mean about the 'sparkle' and 'sheen' on the TR, it seems to have the high end polish to it but sometimes it can seem a bit overpowering or overly bright and the patches can seem a bit too complicated (its panel is a nightmare to program). The JV series do seem a little more subdued, a lot of people called them 'bread and butter' synths and this they do very well in a mix, filling it out more with background pads and sounds, soft basses etc. Plus if you know the type of patch you are after you can expand the JV series with the cards, with the TR you are stuck with 512 patches.
Generally I find I use the JV for general padding out etc and the TR for leads or solo lines and together in this way I tend to find they work quite well together. However other people may do it differently.
This is excellent thank you.. !! Great first hand opinion from someone having both JV and Korg TR.

I bought the JV for 50 Great British pounds as a non-essential purchase…. I couldn’t afford one back in the 90’s so thought it’d be a great opportunity to hear what they do. In honestly, after a day of patch downloading and programming (with the help of D.Solaris) I confess that there was an initial veil of anticlimax but I think I understand its sound already !! .. as you say it isn’t as ‘showy’ as the TR and I think that Korg TR ‘gloss/glaze’ would eventually make itself too 'known' in circumstances where i may need it to be more 'unassuming'

It seems the JV sounds can be shaped to perform certain functions in a mix yet without being too dominant – one thing I’ve realised already is how the JV sound drops easily into a mix and In that respect I can now appreciate their popularity. The JV is really starting to grow on me . .

The irony is that I suspect that the JV will have more longevity (as ancient as it is now) whereas the newer Korg TR may impress me more on the errr… ‘first date’

If I saw a TR going dirt cheap I certainly would consider having one though – if only to replace my aging X3R and provide that Korg family sound.

Anyone else care to confirm or disagree with my observations who has both TR and Korg… ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Midi OX program is all you need. In Options select your midi device. Then go to View / Sysex. In there select File / Send Sysex file.

Many thanks… eventually I managed to get Sounddiver to behave itself.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone else care to confirm or disagree with my observations who has both TR and Korg… ?
I just hooked up a Korg Wavestation A/D beside my 1080 today & so far they play well together, but give me a couple of weeks to make a fuller assessment. But yes, the 1080 sits so well in the mix - can always find a use for it. And you got a great price too.
You might want to check out this program: ChangeIt! - The Sonic Spot

Have fun.

Last edited by tjporter; 9th March 2014 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjporter ➡️
I just hooked up a Korg Wavestation A/D beside my 1080 today & so far they play well together, but give me a couple of weeks to make a fuller assessment. But yes, the 1080 sits so well in the mix - can always find a us for it. And you got a great price too.
You might want to check out this program: ChangeIt! - The Sonic Spot

Have fun.
The verdict after day two is that it’s a nice sound the JV has so for now it’s a keeper … I was just frustrated at first because of its ‘fiddly’ interface by comparison to some simpler interfaces on other gear i have ... and also by ‘plainness’ of some of the stock factory presets … now that I’ve loaded up 30 or so patches that I like.. and have managed to get Sounddiver to talk to it, I’m feeling much happier.. I can imagine a lot of people being distracted by it’s ageing factory presets and dismissing it, not appreciating how it sounds but I love its friendly sound character already … that changeit looks good too…. seems more straightforward than Sounddiver – will try it out. Thanks.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I recently purchased this on ebay for my JV-1080...

JV1080 Patches: squelchy, buzzy, atmospheric pads, abstract sounds, ear candy.Roland JV 80 JV 1000 JV 1010 JV 1080 JV 2080 Largest Collection Sounds Patches | eBay

Its loaded with tons od different programs, etc. and can't go wrong for the price... However I haven't really used it much yet since I recently bought a Korg MS-20 Mini, and its taken over just lately.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh ➡️

JV1080 Patches: squelchy, buzzy, atmospheric pads, abstract sounds, ear candy.Roland JV 80 JV 1000 JV 1010 JV 1080 JV 2080 Largest Collection Sounds Patches | eBay

Its loaded with tons od different programs, etc. and can't go wrong for the price... However I haven't really used it much yet since I recently bought a Korg MS-20 Mini, and its taken over just lately.
I seldom deal with Ebay … but seems good…please let me know what you make of it when time permits. I think this may be just what I need to get started . . .

PS... i think maybe the MS-20 Mini is a completely different generation to the older Korg Modules ... but enjoy !!! :¬)
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh ➡️

I seldom deal with Ebay … but seems good…please let me know what you make of it when time permits. I think this may be just what I need to get started . . .

PS... i think maybe the MS-20 Mini is a completely different generation to the older Korg Modules ... but enjoy !!! :¬)
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
+1 on the vintage synth board.

I had one inside a JD-990 and it was simply stunning at the time - biggest regret was "upgrading" to a JV-2080 for more expandability.

edit: (partner one of these with a Boss SE70 or two)
Old 9th March 2014

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Oh yes, JD-990 opens it up all the way to the 22k, with super high sheen and cool sounding filter resonance.

But never the less, 1080 managed to get into countless TV/docu/movie soundtracks. There is something so pleasant about it, and it blends perfectly with the background, without standing out too much and taking your attention.
Old 9th March 2014
Deleted 60622ed
Vintage synths
Keyboards of the 60 & 70s
Techno
House

After I put these boards in my JV I realised Ill never sell it...pm me if anyone needs the soundiver editor.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are there any workarounds to the 990 filter headroom distortion issue? Approach 50 on resonance and if structure 2 (24db) is used it's even lower. Is that normal? I've tried things like stacking an inverted saw to try and reduce the gain but no dice.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by totty ➡️
Are there any workarounds to the 990 filter headroom distortion issue? Approach 50 on resonance and if structure 2 (24db) is used it's even lower. Is that normal? I've tried things like stacking an inverted saw to try and reduce the gain but no dice.
No. I've tried absolutely everything. They forgot to put WG gain settings in the JD, which has later been corrected in JV-1080 and you can apply -6,0,+6 and +12. WG in JD appears to be permanently on the +6 IIRC. Taking down the volume in the TVA section won't fix it neither.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No. I've tried absolutely everything. They forgot to put WG gain settings in the JD, which has later been corrected in JV-1080 and you can apply -6,0,+6 and +12. WG in JD appears to be permanently on the +6 IIRC. Taking down the volume in the TVA section won't fix it neither.
I have always seen these about and have been interested in the vintage expansions. What is the cheapest way to get there and in 2014 for a BOC, radiohead loving elektron, mutable instruments type will I go for this? I want something dependable like a hammer - I've got all the fireworks I need
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can you believe I’ve NEVER used a dedicated controller keyboard … !?!?! … the ones withal the knobs on …

The thought just occurred to me that such a device might make lighter work (or lighter work) of programming the JV1080.

Sounddiver is good … and it really makes light work of programming but I’m finding a strange thing happen with midi input/output assignments when I use it …. Somehow my Lynx soundcard looses its connection to my midi cable for no apparent reason and I struggle to regain the use of midi … sometimes I have to reinstall the sound card software and re-boot several times …. I can do without all that.

Anyone know if the JV responds to the more essential parameters via midi such as filter type, cut-off frequency, ADSR .. etc ??
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Can you believe I’ve NEVER used a dedicated controller keyboard … !?!?! … the ones withal the knobs on …

The thought just occurred to me that such a device might make lighter work (or lighter work) of programming the JV1080.

Sounddiver is good … and it really makes light work of programming but I’m finding a strange thing happen with midi input/output assignments when I use it …. Somehow my Lynx soundcard looses its connection to my midi cable for no apparent reason and I struggle to regain the use of midi … sometimes I have to reinstall the sound card software and re-boot several times .... I can do without all that.

Anyone know if the JV responds to the more essential parameters via midi such as filter type, cut-off frequency, ADSR .. etc ??
I have a JV 2080, and there is an extensive list of MIDI CC#'s assigned to typical parameters, filter cutoff, resonance, etc... I can't remember if these are reassignable or not. And again, things might be slightly different in the 1080.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pants ➡️
I have a JV 2080, and there is an extensive list of MIDI CC#'s assigned to typical parameters, filter cutoff, resonance, etc... I can't remember if these are reassignable or not. And again, things might be slightly different in the 1080.
Fantastic!! Thank you!! ... going try rigging something up with a basic controller first ... before i buy an all singing/dancing controller keyboard.
📝 Reply