Solution to chord change in EDM music - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solution to chord change in EDM music
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Solution to chord change in EDM music

Hello

Right now I am making a DnB song. Its my first attempt on making DnB.
Not really a complete Drum and Bass song but its actually for a J-pop artist.
The japanese pop songs usually changes chords between intro, verse , prechorus, and hook.(its really killing me, since i cant play the keys...)

I am stuck for the prechorus. I dont know what chords I should play here.
So heres the song im making right now. its imcomplete still need to add some more synth.

Heres 2 attempts i took for the pre.
I just played a pad.

ver1
https://soundcloud.com/kentz_music/dnbver1/s-HZWeV

ver2
https://soundcloud.com/kentz_music/dnbver2/s-4sbVH

What do you guys think? It does sound alittle bit boring...
And maybe pre is too long? I can shorten it to half?

Do you guys have any ideas?

I will credit gearslutz if I get this song placed lol.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I would put a little arpeggiated lead sound between about 1:03-1:08 in the prechorus. I'm assuming there is a vocal going over it, and DNB is more focused on the, well, drums and bass, so your melodic content is more about spice than substance.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Honest advice. If you plan to keep doing this. Learn an instrument. Having trouble with chord changes as a "musician" is like having trouble to boil an egg as a cook.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi7777 ➑️
Honest advice. If you plan to keep doing this. Learn an instrument. Having trouble with chord changes as a "musician" is like having trouble to boil an egg as a cook.
On top of that with a midi keyboard it's really easy to learn on your own without formal training, including inversions.

I'd start with a single key / mode and simple triads. Learn to play all the triads. Inversions in the context of chord changes will follow naturally because they're easier to play.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I would be putting more instruments in the pre since its just a pad to show how the chords will go.
yeah I know I will have to learn at least the keys and music theory. Ive always tried to start but would stop in about 2 weeks because I just lose the time to study and just keep on making new music...
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi7777 ➑️
Truth. My primary instruments have always been guitar and electric bass, and I've taken a few piano/keyboard classes over the years (of which I've mostly just retained some scales and basics) and a lot of jazz and classical theory that I never consciously remember (I tried my best to forget everything I knew for about a decade ), but it is enough that I can at least understand harmonic relationships and can translate my ideas into song as I hear them. If you know what food should taste like, you can figure out how to make a half-decent meal.

I've always found it interesting and poignant that most university degrees in music require you to be a semi-competent pianist, even if it is not your primary instrument or you are purely studying composition. I make it a point to break musical rules wherever possible, but I can't break them if I don't know them.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I love it when people say 'EDM music'.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Honestly I'm not sure if you need any musical knowledge to make such a music and I don't want to bash EDM or anything. Have you seen when AVICII makes his music? Just drawing and copy+paste in pianoroll view, Nile Rodgers said that AVICII didn't know ANY musical theory but had a really good musical understanding.

Another really important thing is taste, like in wines when you refine your taste you start to like "better" wines and don't like cheap and "bad" wines anymore. So after you have learned everything about mixolydian scales simple EDM melodies start to sound dull and uninteresting and most likely you're unable to write good EDM anymore. Or if you study sound design in a university normal synth sounds start to sound like Britney Spears and you just have 120 different pink noise patches on your synth and stop using drums as well.

However, knowledge of musical theory is a powerfull tool, just listen to The Beatles.

PS.

For me it helps when I've a specific reason to learn something, let's say hear The Beales "Penny Lane" in a radio and I'm like whoah, I wan't to bee able to modulate my songs like that, that's cool! Then I'll read everything about modulation and boom, i've learned that. If I just start to learn about general stuff, whether it was about music or whatever, I can't be motivated to learn it because the reason is less obvious.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
...you can produce a lot dance tracks by just fooling around....but sooner or later you come to a point where every filter, every drop and every low end kik is done.....and you realize, wow, where's the content anyway....

before you start with sounddesign, that should be not some tasteful clicksession through endless preset lists, you better take a simple piano sound and find at least the smallest chord progression you can imagine...two chords that work with each other hand in hand...

then drop some lead piano notes on top and some bass notes underneath...with plain piano you'll always hear what's goin in harmonical context.....once you got these three midi regions, THAN you can start....drop them anywhere, and take them as the all over reference....and suddenly all your sounddesign starts making sense in complete different way....

so always start wirh picking a key...minor i suppose....turn on the same ****ty piano sound and don't go for beats and all the rest before this little piano midi bits start to make some sense with each other....and take it from THERE...
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes sir. Nothing will improve the sound of the music you are making like knowledge of even the most basic music theory. Seriously, its just not that hard. Its not like learning to speak English where there are so many rules and then thousands of exceptions to every rule. Theory is more lie a set of suggestions. I think the theory that could help write over 90% of all the music heard on every radio station daily, could fit on one sheet of paper.

At first, all of the terms are confusing. That goes for anything, until you know the lingo or vocab, it doesn't matter how much you try to learn. But once you start to grasp things it happens rather quickly. Stick to the Major and Minor scales for a while, then when you get bored, start applying the melodic and harmonic scales, then have a look into all sorts of other modes.

For a while, after I would settle on a key, I would write it out, and then write out the triad chords I could use. Keep track of which were major or minor triads as this helps guide how you write your progression. After doing this many times, you stop needing to write things down and it is just part of your brain.

I'm getting better at playing. I'm thinking of taking formal lessons, I want to be able to explore the keys better, and feel like it will help my songwriting ability. I was surprised there were so many grown-ass gearsluters taking lessons too. Kind of inspired me, though I need to find a teacher that has late hours. If nothing else I'm sure there are plenty of online courses but I kinda want to go to a studio where there is a big ol' Steinway or Yamaha Grand and do that whole thing.

Best of luck. Invest in the time, and it will have you making music so much faster.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Two things.

1. AVICII is sh1t and Nile Rodgers was likely kissing ass or all the drugs have screwed his brain up.
2. Learn how to write fΒ£&$ing music instead of asking people on a forum to do it for you.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Guess I will have to get my lazy ass off and start studying. Is it better to study piano or music theory first??
Not finished yet ,no bridge yet, but the song came out like this.
https://soundcloud.com/kentz_music/dnb-demo/s-whd0c
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkentz ➑️
Guess I will have to get my lazy ass off and start studying. Is it better to study piano or music theory first??
Not finished yet ,no bridge yet, but the song came out like this.
https://soundcloud.com/kentz_music/dnb-demo/s-whd0c
My experience is to simply start playing. Both are no fun viewed separately. It's like learning a language. A good balance of both, theory and practice will get you far.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➑️
Two things.

1. AVICII is sh1t and Nile Rodgers was likely kissing ass or all the drugs have screwed his brain up.
2. Learn how to write fΒ£&$ing music instead of asking people on a forum to do it for you.
That was harsh, dude.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hello

The japanese pop songs usually changes chords between intro, verse , prechorus, and hook.(its really killing me, since i cant play the keys...)

So heres the song im making right now. its imcomplete still need to add some more synth.

I just played a pad.

ver1

ver2

Stop focus on what other think? The important thing is to believe in your self no matter what skills you've got. Then, if you're really uncertain of which way to go which your music I suggest:
  • Listen to music you like
  • Challenge yourself and listen to music that you normally don't listen to and get inspired
  • Look around you, what inspires you, what do you see or hear?
Don't kill you're creativity by letting other tell you what to do, take control and master it with your toolbox the best you can and have fun!
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello

I just played a pad.

ver1

ver2

Like was said before...get a MIDI board. It's waaay more natural than a QWERTY to learn chord theory or figure it out by noodling. A real board is also conducive to "happy accidents". Print out a few chords from Wiki and tape them in front of the 'board to help get you started.

FWIW...I like what you did . I prefer the sparseness of the first one. You can always make it more busy farther into the song. It's a little like a sped-up version of this...

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap ➑️
I love it when people say 'EDM music'.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…