Quantcast
Would you rather have a modular or analog poly? - Page 7 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Would you rather have a modular or analog poly?
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend ➑️
Well, the claim was that modulars are these amazing creative tools for writing music. And the evidence offered was that the poster was in the process of editing 200 kicks and snares created on his modular. That just made me laugh is all - mostly because the statement was clearly intended to impress the readers of this forum. I just thought, "What a noob. Come back and talk to me after you have edited 10,000+ drum sounds that were created for a variety of sound design and sample development projects over the years."
Uuugh. You're like the gift that goes on giving.
I had already gone to the trouble of explaining how I used modulars in my music for television.
I made the mistake of saying I was editing kicks and snares, presuming you would understand I'd creatively made those sounds before I got to the editing stage. But yeah, 'noob' LOL
I do make a living from professional sample development projects. I've been doing it over ten years, as well as performing music and writing music. It's all creative. Your first few posts in the thread put out your opinion, that's fine, but since then you've been generalising to back a prejudiced opinion, which is always going to come across as ill informed.
The personal comments about me are amusing and all…. but they aren't informing anyone about anything: poly synths or modulars.
https://www.toontrack.com/artists.asp?id=4
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Actually nothing wrong with making your own snare. There were quite a few tracks i heard where the snare, clap really stood out. It wasnt a game changer but it certainly added to the track feel

And as long as you have the necessary tools to express yourself through and have the abillity to create signature sounds, why not kicks or snares it certainly makes sense doing it. I know i would do it
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone ➑️
People don't remember the patch you made, they remember the song and the message.
But the real ideal is to do both.
Ever since Les Paul started using delay and phasing, or The Beatles using tape loops, people have appreciated unique sounds in popular music.
Much modern popular music is based on sound design, especially as we've heard all those chords and beats a hundred times before.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio ➑️
Yes, the basics waveforms will be similar.
I always said the same, but I went through and recorded the raw waveforms out of a bunch of my modular oscillators and was surprised to hear some differences.
I posted the test on Muffwiggler and we had an interesting discussion about it.
I sold some of my oscillators having heard their deficiencies properly for the first time.
You are absolutely right though, other modules like wave shapers and filters are far more influential on the final timbre.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You do know that your mutual admiration society is pretty ridiculous, right?
You don't get it, but I'm trying to help you understand something.
You were complaining a few pages ago about the way you were spoken to, but when I illustrated the power and creativity of modulars by saying I made 200 unique sounding drums on mine, all you can say is I'm trying to impress the forum. No I'm trying to explain the flexibility, power and creativity of modulars.
'Maisonvague' who I don't know and don't need to mutually admire by the way, posted an excellent video illustrating the musical use of modulars, and you've not said a word, just gone off on a rant aimed at me personally. The funny thing of it is you don't know anything about me either.
But keep going, it makes for amusing reading.......
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Some one close this thread its drifting massively
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ravishing redhead or gorgeous blonde?

i'll have both, thank you.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Modular's are fun for odd experimentation and the like but when it comes down to it, most of your synth duties are going to fall into a featureset of a modern fixed architecture synth like the Pulse 2, and similar synths. I think polyphony is a bit more useful and when I want the fun of modular I just load up Zebra, or Vaz.

One thing I am considering it a semi-modular, but only because I can add some additional filter, lfos and osc types to it over time.

So maybe I don't actually have an answer to your question.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide ➑️
Who would have thought that a genie giving away synths would cause so much trouble?
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
One day some genius is going to invent a fully polyphonic analog modular with complete patch recall, I know it.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
when given a choice between _______ and modular. I typically wish I had a modular the size of the Buran Shuttle cockpit.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What was I saying about big babies who can dish it out but go all crybaby if you challenge any silly thing that they say? I guess I'm just not giving you the respect that you feel you deserve for having posted an absurd number of comments on Gearslutz. You could probably edit 20,000 drums this week if you did us all a favor and gave Gearslutz a rest.
He's made those posts over a 12 year period so he actually posts less than you do. He's been real patient and it's a classy art whenever someone plays the man and not the ball. Seriously man grow up
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
I think polyphony is a bit more useful and when I want the fun of modular I just load up Zebra, or Vaz.
I generally find the sound of hardware synths (both digital and analog) superior to plugins. But the u-he stuff sounds pretty good. (I own ACE and Diva.) The company's upcoming "Bazille" modular could be fun on occasion (although I would still probably rather use a semi-modular plugin like Zebra if I wanted increased flexibility over ACE and Diva).

A software modular is probably the only affordable way to have usable polyphony but still offer the flexibility of a modular system. Bazille is unlikely to sound as good as the real deal, but it's undoubtedly a lot more practical for most people.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
The other interesting issue i have is with hardware midi inaccuracy. So I generally use cv and gate. And there aren't that many hardware poly synths that accept cv and gate.
I play my hardware polyphonics by hand, and I'm not a great keyboardist.
I use on occasion the software plug-ins, but I agree with the above, I personally prefer hardware most often.
So, you would never choose a modular system defacto if you wanted to record a chord sequence, but I'd choose cv and gate for percussive sounds, like bass, drums, house chords etc.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
I sold some of my oscillators having heard their deficiencies properly for the first time.
Have you got a link to that? I'd be interested to have a listen.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
For years I was saying all oscillators sounded pretty much the same, and that's why I decided to record a test, and ended up surprising myself.
MUFF WIGGLER :: View topic - Favorite "musical" VCOs and why
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the link. I laughed out loud when I read this from you:

"Although it's interesting, I definitely think sound should be more an auditory thing than a visual one."

Hear hear!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah, there is also a mass outbreak of oscilloscope usage in Modular.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma ➑️
He's made those posts over a 12 year period so he actually posts less than you do. He's been real patient and it's a classy art whenever someone plays the man and not the ball. Seriously man grow up
Some people based their identity on being an ignoramus. Why else worry about what other people find pleasure and inspiration in?
Bio
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
I always said the same, but I went through and recorded the raw waveforms out of a bunch of my modular oscillators and was surprised to hear some differences.
You are absolutely right though, other modules like wave shapers and filters are far more influential on the final timbre.
I think we agree, in the Muff thread you wrote :

Quote:
So yes, some osc's sound different, but mostly the differences are slight - even between eras and price range.
It's exactly what i think, most vco sound very similar and some stand out.

I sold a lot of my vco but keep the one i like the most, while i have never found any of them to be "bad", i definitely have favorites.

I like smooth hard sync and not a lot of vco in euro are good at that.
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Music can be made from as complex a setup as you want, or as minimal.
I believe whole songs can be made on any synth, including modulars. Most people don't take the time to do it though.

Take Ronnie Martin of "Joy Electric".
He uses one synth and analogue sequencers to make entire albums. Drums and all programmed on one synth. Only using a computer to do the tracking with.

This is a small example of his work. These songs made entirely on a Roland System 100.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jrK6PUd1U0o

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5FrcW-9VMaw

On his later albums he started using a Minimoog and a q119 sequencer.

Ronnie explaining his work flow:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm ➑️
I use one of the new Minimoog Old School editions, and it takes care of EVERYTHING in terms of what I do electronically. I sequence using an Arrick Q119 analog sequencer, so no MIDI. I just record 4th, 8th and 16th note pulses onto seperate tracks, and have that trigger the sequencer. Its a very surgical and "limited" way of working, but there's nothing else that beats the sound of the sequences, especially if you have a taste for early electronic music recordings. The Minimoog OS is absolutely brilliant, and I've owned most of the classic analogs over the years. This was the model I was waiting for Moog to manufacture since they returned on the scene....no touch screens, no menus, no midi....it's PERFECT.

jecommunity • View topic - Your Process with the Voyager

All this to say I think a modular could be used to make entire "musical" songs. Even pop songs. Not just blips and bleeps. just takes the time,skill, and determination.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The last poly analog I had was an Xpander, and I pretty much used it for the same things I use my modular for now...
πŸ“ Reply