Quantcast
xoBox, TT303 or TB3 - got the bug what to get :? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
xoBox, TT303 or TB3 - got the bug what to get :?
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
xoBox, TT303 or TB3 - got the bug what to get :?

Hi

Views and feedback please.

Cyclone Analogic TT303
xoBox
Roland TB3
Other???? (excluding a 2nd hand tb303 with midi Β£1300 is way too much).

I like the xoBox personally but not a competent builder. Any recommendations of where to get one in UK/Europe prebuilt much appreciated. I've heard there's a difference between various stores/builders?

Checked out a comparison website for the audio.

Roland TB 303 Clones Test - Best VST Emulator

The xobox sounds very similar, the TT303 seems to sound higher pitched with less bottom end, but I may be wrong.

I like the concept of the TB3 but it doesn't seem to be quite cracked up to what I was expecting. External patterns ie via midi and not analogue.

Looking to get the Elektron Analog keys 4 to go with it.

Was considering the TR8 but own NI Maschine so not sure there's a real need.

Thanks...is there going to be an acid resurrection ?
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➑️
is there going to be an acid resurrection ?
Acid is tantamount to gangs in LA, it'll never die!
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland4387 ➑️
lol I was going to put odds on what element of this post would get quoted first.

acid headz never disappoint x
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've just got a x0xb0x and I love it, can be had for Β£250 built if you're savvy. It's very intuitive to program and the latest os has variable loop points in the sequencer, reverse play, sequence offset and transposing, it's a lot of fun.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I agree on the x0xb0x being closer than the TT but only if well built.
I'm guessing the TB3 will sell by the shed load to the DAW guys looking for some hands on fun and with that, the x0xb0x and bassbot will drop in price, hold onto your cash for now until you've heard the differences of the TB3 vs x0x vs Bassbot etc.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i don't think the x0xb0x will drop in price.. how low can it go? those components cost something
bassbot began at a very high price to begin with, and it uses modern SMD components, thus it's more likely to drop

TB-3 can't be compared to those, since they are at least real clones, while TB-3 kinda fails in the accent department at least as of now, of course, it's just code, and they *can* fix it eventually
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok, I've had my TT for months now, and honestly, I just can't bond with it for some reason. Maybe cause I have the real McCoy sitting three feet away? But one of the X0Xio boxes I'd give my left but for if I could find one, and then sell off the TT.
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just like hardcore, right? (looking at you, Rotterdam)

I haven't heard the TB3 doing really convincing acid. So far, I thought the various VSTs did a better job. IMO, if you're going to get hardware for this, get analogue.

If you're going to get someone else to build a x0xb0x for you, I suggest you source the parts yourself. There are some compromised sounding substitutes being used, as well as some unskilled builders around.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just got my x0xb0x this week. First DIY synth, pretty excited about that.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
x0xb0x isn't a synth, its an attitude.
B
Old 7th March 2014
|-|
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
TT-303 by far imho, I had all 3, got rid of the x0x. Kept my TB and the TT. The TT is near identical
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just multiply

Any of those listed will do you fine.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto ➑️
TB-3 kinda fails in the accent department at least as of now, of course, it's just code, and they *can* fix it eventually
Please get in touch with Roland and hand them the code, I'm starting to like the TB-3 but won't buy until they've fixed the accent stuff.
Old 7th March 2014
rv0
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Biased opinion: Get a x0xb0x with a x0xlarge cpu and the n0nx0x firmware.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Whatever one you feel would work best for you. The programming is totally different on each unit. I've had 6 or 7 x0xb0xes over the past 7 years. And i've built all of them. So i was in control of how they sounded in the end. I owned a TB for 15 years, sold it a couple years ago since i had an x0xb0x, and wanted other stuff. I've also had the TT, which i liked. Though it had a sequencer bug, which has since been fixed. I only sold that to buy the x0xi0 i have now.

The TB-3 is still an unknown. Watch videos, pay attention to how each unit is programmed. Get the feel for it. It's all about what unit inspired you to want to use it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnap ➑️
Please get in touch with Roland and hand them the code, I'm starting to like the TB-3 but won't buy until they've fixed the accent stuff.
funny

do you know the right email address for this kind of thing?

no, seriously... nothing's gonna happen if i paste some code to one of the marketing guys..
and even if it ever reaches the white coats in the lab - why do you think they can't fix it themselves?
it isn't too hard
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto ➑️
funny

do you know the right email address for this kind of thing?

no, seriously... nothing's gonna happen if i paste some code to one of the marketing guys..
and even if it ever reaches the white coats in the lab - why do you think they can't fix it themselves?
it isn't too hard
I don't know how to reach them other than [email protected]
Yeah probably capable themselves but who knows maybe they couldn't get it right.
Best shot I'd say a petition, or maybe they lurking GS?
Old 7th March 2014
rv0
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
while they're at it, they can also add a ****load of extra knobs and buttons, dinsync, and a decent sequencer
wont happen, marketing used up the budget.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You're already getting an Analog Keys which can do great 303 lines, even has a couple of presets to get you started. The sequencer will take you far beyond too. You may want to try that out first.

Having said that, of the 303 clones I've always been partial to the xoxbox. A bit outside the norm but spiritually similar, the AtomoSynth Mochika is a great unconventional acid box and worth consideration as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli ➑️
Just like hardcore, right? (looking at you, Rotterdam)
Haha, oh man, hardcore had to die!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risc_Terilia ➑️
I've just got a x0xb0x and I love it, can be had for Β£250 built if you're savvy. It's very intuitive to program and the latest os has variable loop points in the sequencer, reverse play, sequence offset and transposing, it's a lot of fun.
Reading a post in this thread and recall some from other forums historically, I am interested to know where I can source the best build purchase from in Uk/Europe.

I'm certainly no electronics genius and a solder iron is dangerous in my hands!!
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv0 ➑️
Biased opinion: Get a x0xb0x with a x0xlarge cpu and the n0nx0x firmware.
What Im struggling with (see above post) is my lack of ability and zero experience in constructing electronic components.

I am guessing all this is purely a homebrew DIY guru route, in other words unable to source, buy premade from new?

I've discounted the TT and the more I hear the TB3 youtube demos...the more distant it is as a contendor.

So xobox I help to work out how and from where please?
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I bought an x0x from The Beast a few years ago which I was very happy with:x0xb0x This guy is a very skilled builder and knows everything bout TBs. I later got a real TB that I a/b'ed it with, to great satisfaction. Sold the x0x to finance other gear and now have a TT which im very satisfied with.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
+1 for the beast, also willzyx

or look for a 2nd hand one

note: to what rv0 said: the x0xlarge cpu is not part of the standard x0xb0x.. it's a cpu upgrade/modification which replaces the original cpu with a bigger one
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➑️
What Im struggling with (see above post) is my lack of ability and zero experience in constructing electronic components.

I am guessing all this is purely a homebrew DIY guru route, in other words unable to source, buy premade from new?

I've discounted the TT and the more I hear the TB3 youtube demos...the more distant it is as a contendor.

So xobox I help to work out how and from where please?
What makes you discount the TT?
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a listen to some audio examples and I feel the xobox, in comparison, sounds more akin to the TB303. The TT sounds different in pitch and tone.

Here's the relevant link. Open to opinion and thoughts :β€’)

xobox x0xb0x VS TB 303 Audio sounds samples test

TT303 Cyclone Analogic Bass Bot TT-303 VS TB 303 clones, Audio samples

I know Thomman sell both as prebuilt. I believe they sell the MODE build. I'd prefer to get a xobox direct from a quality individual builder/modder and due to email xobox.de to see what they can do.

I do like the idea of the xoboi but I am not sure if they are doing rev b any more :
Buy x0xi0
Willzyx is in Taiwana need to verify voltage input, need to check any additional cost but does look highly recommended and running an offer :
Willzyx Music - Pre-Built Black x0xb0x

Buying from outside Europe will cause issues regarding warranty, taxes, servicing costs so trying to keep it EU.

Buy x0xi0

What are the midi response limitations from the TT and xobox?
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well IMO it certainly depends which TB you compare the TT or the x0x to. I have had two TB's that sounded very different from eachother.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 218 ➑️
Well IMO it certainly depends which TB you compare the TT or the x0x to. I have had two TB's that sounded very different from eachother.
I can understand that, I think my conviction is more weighted towards both what I am hearing and my historical awareness of both products.

It's very tempting to get both but I am considering a tempest or Elektron rhtymn in the future, so saving my pennies ... but this thread has opened my eyes to some wonderful little synths that are very appealing ie Eowave magma. Oh the G'slutism
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Usually I'd say stay analog if you want a 303 emulation.

BUT from all the vids I have seen the TB3 seems to be crazy good.

My problem with all the clones is, they sound pretty similar, sometimes
even really really close to the real thing. BUT only if there is nothing
crazy going on regarding evelope mod or huge accents etc.

Imo the TB3 is the closest thing to the real deal regarding
its own specific behavior with accents, slides, env mod etc.
(And thats what a makes a 303 a 303 if you ask me)

I was really stunned when I heard it the first time.
No xox or tt comes even close to that behavior.
(And I have heard many xox' from many different builders)

just my 2 cents.

cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippy
Imo the TB3 is the closest thing to the real deal regarding
its own specific behavior with accents, slides, env mod etc.
(And thats what a makes a 303 a 303 if you ask me)
the "IMO" is very strong there
πŸ“ Reply