Quantcast
xoBox, TT303 or TB3 - got the bug what to get :? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
xoBox, TT303 or TB3 - got the bug what to get :?
Old 19th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer ➡️
OK, thanks - just my mate is a 303 artist and he might shake his head in disgust at me not learning to use the Bass Bot's sequencer lol, it however does work a treat using Cubase piano roll, to get slide effect you just let the midi notes overlap I read in the manual and it works, sounds just the same to me...
An external MIDI sequencer can do everything the onboard sequencer of a modern 303 clone can do, plus a few more things. Slides, like you said, are just overlapping notes and accents are notes with velocity greater than a certain value (112 on Bass Bot). Additionally, an external sequencer can do variable gate lengths and shuffled steps much more easily, not to mention MIDI effects like note randomisation. Personally I will never feel the need to get a "real" 303 just for the sake of it; I simply couldn't be arsed to input all those patterns.
Old 19th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted 2ecf148
the 303 needs to receive the midi information in a certain way to trigger correctly
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
the accent in 303 patterns doesn't always translate properly to midi note velocity
basically, once up on a time, <someone> went to implement MIDI on a 303 (or 303 clone/emu) and decided to use note velocity for the accent
and since then, everybody's following that

bleh
Old 20th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by antto ➡️
the accent in 303 patterns doesn't always translate properly to midi note velocity
basically, once up on a time, <someone> went to implement MIDI on a 303 (or 303 clone/emu) and decided to use note velocity for the accent
and since then, everybody's following that

bleh
is´nt that the logical parameter to use? its inside the note message and dont needs extra bandwidth or event sorting action..so its ideal for note bound atributes. Using extra midi commands for that would be rather stupid, or?
What do you suggest?
Old 20th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoinkel ➡️
An external MIDI sequencer can do everything the onboard sequencer of a modern 303 clone can do, plus a few more things. Slides, like you said, are just overlapping notes and accents are notes with velocity greater than a certain value (112 on Bass Bot). Additionally, an external sequencer can do variable gate lengths and shuffled steps much more easily, not to mention MIDI effects like note randomisation. Personally I will never feel the need to get a "real" 303 just for the sake of it; I simply couldn't be arsed to input all those patterns.
Thanks for that 112 heads up, will check that out also
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted 80b9b09
[QUOTE=Dirtycircuit;9947964]I am a Brit but live in California...QUOTE]

I hate you.

I'm in West Bromwich in the West Midlands, and it's pissing down with rain.

No amount of perfect squelchy basslines could ever compensate. It's not even like you're American.

You specifically had to say 'I am a Brit' clearly goading us Brits still stuck in the cold, gloomy homeland. It's like you understand the contrast between there and here and just have to highlight it.

No matter how close my 303 is to my 303, it'll never make it warm.
Old 24th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip ➡️
No matter how close my 303 is to my 303, it'll never make it warm.

I just don't agree. Acid is enough to brighten up the gloomiest weather

Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Slow going on my x0x kit but as of last night, I have a VCO that generates sawtooth and square waveforms.
Old 2nd May 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The build quality of tb3 is really good, all knobs feel stable...when I demo'd the TT I didn't like the knob wobble ( sounds weird ) and for double the price, it was a no brainer for me. TB3.
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
personally i like the sound of the acidlab bassline3 as opposed to the tt303 tb3 and xoxbox that were mentioned, gets a great growl with plenty of girth on the low frequency "wow" sounds
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The TT sounds better than the TB-3 though. And that should be more important. The original 303's build quality isn't that great don't forget.
Old 2nd May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➡️
The TT sounds better than the TB-3 though. And that should be more important. The original 303's build quality isn't that great don't forget.

Fair enough, I'm not a pro so just wanted something for dabbling, £550 for a TT is too much to pay as I won't see a return in the investment. I have always been a 303 nut since 1988. I think the TB3 sounds pretty good for the money and comes out with some powerful tunes.

It has limitations but for £245, why not!
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The TB-3 great value for the money!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello
Can anyone with some x0xb0x knowledge please describe how much of an advantage doing the x0xlarge/nonx0x upgrade is over just using the sokkOS firmware. I don't mind doing the upgrade if it is really that much better, I am almost more just worried that the functions on my faceplate won't be right, so I will need to change that or put a sticker on it.

Really interested to know how much "better" this set up is...

Thanks for any input!
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You'll need to purchase a new faceplate from them. I'm tempted to build another x0xb0x just for this new OS =o]
Old 2nd May 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just got on the list for the faceplate, and ordered the cpu upgrade. The video demos of the OS sold me, they just released a version with shuffle, looks like fun!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How about the future retro revolution?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont see how the volca bass hasnt even been mentioned in this whole thread. Is it not 303ish at all to u guys? Does it have to be that exact to be considered acid? Seriously just curious. I have an an andromeda which does most everything but i own a volca bass too and it destroys the andy for what it does. So is the definition of acid that rigid then?
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I own tb 303, bass bott and tb-3.

Tb-3 - it's cheap for a reason. The worst by far of the bunch.

Bass bott - I like the machine, but the square wave on mine doesn't really scream. If it did I would recommend it.

Tb 303 - if your buying one make sure you get to test it. I have two 303s and they sound different. Also mine have the quicksilver chip so they can be programmed while the sequencer is running.

Never had an xox so I can't comment.

Hope that helps
Old 4th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd ➡️
How about the future retro revolution?
Cough, ahem...

xoBox, TT303 or TB3 - got the bug what to get :?Future Retro Revolution R2 Analog Synth Sequencer Filter CV Gate TB 303 303 101 | eBay

Yes, how about it?
Old 4th May 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I had a future retro revolution 2. Great sequencer and synth but sounds nothing like a 303. It was too nice and clean sounding.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlehead69 ➡️
I had a future retro revolution 2. Great sequencer and synth but sounds nothing like a 303. It was too nice and clean sounding.
i could never get mine to scream but they do get a nice low growling bass note thing going on, slide and growling wows a plenty on the low end
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Is the only clone with full MIDI CC control over all the pots the MAM MB33 mkii?
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I changed my mind, I will not go soft(ABL3 or D16) for 303. I really like hardware as they are indeed inspiring for me.

I'm shopping for one right now especially the XOXBOX.

XOXBOX or TT03? which one is nicer to program patterns? Does it also send Midi out? Too bad it doesn't have a USB midi but I can wing it.

I really miss my TB3 that I sold to fund CIRCUIT by Novation but now wanting back the 303 sound. I also see one for the TB3 for 230 free shipping..

I also see one TT03 for 499 free shipping.. I'm so close to hitting the buy it now.
📝 Reply