Quantcast
MKS70 - Will the rack ears alone support the weight, or does it need support at rear? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MKS70 - Will the rack ears alone support the weight, or does it need support at rear?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
MKS70 - Will the rack ears alone support the weight, or does it need support at rear?

... The thing is so heavy, it would ostensibly appear to defy the laws of physics that the ears could withstand that force.

Currently considering whether to buy a cheap ready made rack, or whether to knock up my own cabinet thingamy.

Cheers.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator ➑️
... The thing is so heavy, it would ostensibly appear to defy the laws of physics that the ears could withstand that force.

Currently considering whether to buy a cheap ready made rack, or whether to knock up my own cabinet thingamy.

Cheers.
If it's in a studio rack (i.e. - not subject to being bounced around like a road rack), the front ears are fine.

Same w. the MKS-20 and MKS-80.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
they all do just fine mounted from the front only!

I work regularly with computers/servers that have front and rear mounts - but they are much, much, deeper than any of the MKS series are. You can put a lot of weight on a 2u cantilever shelf, so a proper 2u rack enclosure can handle itself just fine as long as it's not much longer than 18-20"

Most rack servers and things that need rear support will be 25" and longer. Nearly twice as long as the mks-70.

And just to show you what I mean, this 2u cantilever shelf is rated for 125 pounds / 56KG!
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-R.../dp/B008YE5C34

That's all from the front! And that's actually deeper than the mks-70, which is around 15-16" IIRC.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
My MKS 70 has been in the rack(s) for 20 Years, always only attached with the front rack ears..Never any issue...
Old 7th March 2014
Oli
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator ➑️
As with the others here, I think the rack ears are generally fine, unless there is some damage to the enclosure, or mounting threads etc.

However, my recent experience with cheap racks has not been positive. I bought a few new cheap ones, and they're unusable. Better to get decent quality used units, spend more, or make your own. Not very difficult to build, and decent rails are not expensive.

edit - I would also include big power amps one the list with deep servers. These can really need rear support. Also consider heat management in your rack.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
All this talk about racks and rears, and now you want to knock up your cabinet? I like where this is going.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I mount some of mine backwards, they make a great seat or a step to reach higher up modules.

Last edited by rockmanrock; 7th March 2014 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Gratuitous filth removed, Kenneth Williams not required.
πŸ“ Reply