Quantcast
Why are all Trance producers using the same hardware synths? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why are all Trance producers using the same hardware synths?
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I recommend gear on local forums, and all the trance DJs or "producers" always ask me wich VIRUS....
the A, the B, the C, or the TI?
or the Polar? or Indigo?

Answer: almost any Virtual Analog from the last 15 years is good to make trancy stuff...

Question: is a Virtual Analog a Virus too?

I have friends who listen 140-150 bpm trance during the whole day. They download and download and download songs with weird nomenclature names, wich almost the same hammer kick on them, a pause, a sample from an horror/sci fi movie, and then, again, Pum pum pum. And gastric noises made with HPF leads controlling the LFO speed with aleatory movements over the LFO and filter knobs.

I use to love it, but now, all trance sounds the same to me, I can´t distinguish the music from X artist from the other ones. Seems like LSD does not helps too much to make you think about new musical formulas.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend ➡️
I kept fast forwarding through the videos to see if anything interesting was happening later in the track.
um... it's meant to be mixed by a DJ ??
have you ever been to a rave?

Song structure.. lyrics.. any sort of narrative.. sounds awful on drugs.

Btw - I'm not defending it exactly.. I hate most trance (but I don't troll it)
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow, Andrei Morant boring - you have zero clue. i'm sure you weren't old enough in 96 to be at a place that played that record.

and yes, context is very important - the music is meant for a big system in a dark warehouse at 3am.

i'm sure this is equally boring and a waste as well... i mean, it's just a bunch of 303 nonsense.

Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 ➡️
wow, Andrei Morant boring - you have zero clue. i'm sure you weren't old enough in 96 to be at a place that played that record.

and yes, context is very important - the music is meant for a big system in a dark warehouse at 3am.

i'm sure this is equally boring and a waste as well... i mean, it's just a bunch of 303 nonsense.

Yup complete Le petit Prince waste

Not really trance though.
Old 4th February 2021
Everyone elae pretty well covered the foundational reasons for why, but another reason why they all use(d) the same synths is because of functionality and accessibility

Back in the day, only a finite number of hardware synths in general offered enough polyphony and unison stacking/spread to be able to achieve the wide supersaw sounds that are one of the genre staples

Fast forward to now, there are more options, but many aren't as well known for that feature, and hardly anyone uses them

The Blofeld and MicroKorg XL and Rev2 for example are all capable of really sweet wide supersaw sounds, but hardly anyone talks about them in trance

Post-LED (Let There Be Light) era trance is much less reliant on supersaws though. Distorted square and sine waves, dirty raw analog leads, wavetable plucks, all feature a lot more heavily in the genre now. So Moogs are appearing in Trance more and more now
Old 4th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Wait, people are making trance with hardware again?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I for one am doing 'trance' at least partially with hardware (although I guess if I have to believe the boxes my stuff gets put in by labels and stores it is called anything from 'progressive trance' , 'melodic house' to 'melodic techno')

I never owned a JP8000 though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnchaser ➡️
Everyone elae pretty well covered the foundational reasons for why, but another reason why they all use(d) the same synths is because of functionality and accessibility

Back in the day, only a finite number of hardware synths in general offered enough polyphony and unison stacking/spread to be able to achieve the wide supersaw sounds that are one of the genre staples

Fast forward to now, there are more options, but many aren't as well known for that feature, and hardly anyone uses them

The Blofeld and MicroKorg XL and Rev2 for example are all capable of really sweet wide supersaw sounds, but hardly anyone talks about them in trance

Post-LED (Let There Be Light) era trance is much less reliant on supersaws though. Distorted square and sine waves, dirty raw analog leads, wavetable plucks, all feature a lot more heavily in the genre now. So Moogs are appearing in Trance more and more now
I was about to say a Facebook friend of mine makes Trance with hardware, but Lo and Behold, you’re the one who resurrected this thread LMAO! (My real name is in my signature...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 227861 ➡️
Detuned saw leads can be done on so many things I'm wouldn't say they are all using the same gear.

It would be better said they are using similar patches.

But heck..I like the sound of those detuned saws.

Also just to note: the JP8000 runs out of polyphony rather quickly I'm pretty sure with all the options other synths and softsynths offer in terms of polyphony I'm pretty sure they probably go to those other options...especially soft synths.
I have some supersaw patches on my Novation Ultranova that are just monstrous (dripping wet filtered reverb and everything)
Attached Thumbnails
Why are all Trance producers using the same hardware synths?-imgext.png  
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by balma ➡️
I recommend gear on local forums, and all the trance DJs or "producers" always ask me wich VIRUS....
the A, the B, the C, or the TI?
or the Polar? or Indigo?

Answer: almost any Virtual Analog from the last 15 years is good to make trancy stuff...

Question: is a Virtual Analog a Virus too?

I have friends who listen 140-150 bpm trance during the whole day. They download and download and download songs with weird nomenclature names, wich almost the same hammer kick on them, a pause, a sample from an horror/sci fi movie, and then, again, Pum pum pum. And gastric noises made with HPF leads controlling the LFO speed with aleatory movements over the LFO and filter knobs.

I use to love it, but now, all trance sounds the same to me, I can´t distinguish the music from X artist from the other ones. Seems like LSD does not helps too much to make you think about new musical formulas.
lol you're not doing it right then..
Old 4th February 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Why are there Trance producers?
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES ➡️
Trance is a genre, and people who make music within a genre (as opposed to people who just make music, which then gets categorized to a genre), need to follow the genre conventions. It's part of the recipe, part of the thing that links them to the crowd they want to be part of.

It's like the MPCs or SPs for hiphop, or the guitar brands that get picked up by participants of different types of guitar music; it's a me-too way of thinking, which hasn't got a lot to do with the results you can obtain vs using other stuff.

It's a social thing.
Unfortunate in some ways, but true. If you take the stage in an indie rock band with a neon-yellow pointy-headstock Jackson, the average concertgoer will ridicule you. (I would think you were a badass.)
Old 4th February 2021
Lives for gear

Any good examples of modern trance tracks with modern trance sound? I'd like to hear where the trance has headed during the past 10 years or so.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy ➡️
Unfortunate in some ways, but true. If you take the stage in an indie rock band with a neon-yellow pointy-headstock Jackson, the average concertgoer will ridicule you. (I would think you were a badass.)
That’s funny, for a long time I played with a guy who sported a cobalt blue Jackson bass. It was plain and simply an ugly instrument... something like an 8th grader’s idea of what a guitar should look like. We all teased him about it and urged him to bring out his Fender Jazz instead. Trust me, no one thought that guy was a bad-ass. Imagine Judge Harry Stone from Night Court with John Lennon glasses. His wife made him quit the band as part of taking him back after he left her to try and start a relationship with German a girl he met at a conference who upon seeing him again was like, “nine, danke.” Not really what one would call bad-ass... but maybe a bad ass.
Here for the gear
The sheer nonconformist balls it would take get at least a little respect from me.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku ➡️
Any good examples of modern trance tracks with modern trance sound? I'd like to hear where the trance has headed during the past 10 years or so.
All the old guys from the nineties are still making trance (eg solarstone, john 00 fleming etc. There's a zillion podcasts these days). It sounds like early 2000s gatecrasher compilation stuff but with less energy.
Old 4th February 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Crazy that this zombie thread was resurrected this week, I saw this video a few days ago and it totally made me nostalgic for 90's trance and the early days of hardware VA's

Closed