Programming Moog Voyager
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Trade it in for an Old School :-)
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I put in an order for a Voyager with the slew rate mod and 1V/octave but still have another 5 weeks to change my mind due to overload at the Moog factory!

Still thinking about the Sub 37 and adding some Eventide and Strymon to that instead of the Voyager.

Pros and cons:

Voyager:

+ The sound, 3 OSC, stereo filters + HP-LP, ribbon controller, CV I/O together with my MF-102 Ring Mod, much better build quality, high second hand value, nice keybed

- Menu diving, buggy editor and VST plugin

Sub 37

+ The sound, but it´s no Voyager, rock solid editor and VST plugin, almost no menu diving, arpeggiator and step sequencer on front panel, DAHDSR looping envelopes, paraphony, keyboard w/ aftertouch, multidrive and feedback, simple FM.

- Not as high build quality as on the Voyager, limited CV in and no outs.

I don´t have much CV gear but I am a slut so that´s likely to change. The Voyager feels simple in front panel features but has has a big raw sound, especially with the slew rate mod. The Sub 37 feels more hands on and is tightly integrated with DAWs.

Hmmmm, still torn. It´s a big decision for me. Will get the Voyager for $2650 + slew rate mod $150 + 1V/octave calibration $90 + shipping to Sweden $200 = $3090. Sub 37 = $1380 including shipping which leaves room for some Eventide and strymon. Basically I can get a Sub 37, Eventide Pitchfactor, 2x Moog EP-3´s, Strymon Big Sky and TimeLine for less than a Voyager.

Hmmm.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I find you work on the sounds which suit you, and after you've done this for a while, you don't need to menu dive very much. Filter poles, keyboard modes, etc... all this is pretty much standard on the sounds I use.

Another tip: Don't forget to automate it when you're using it in the studio. This gives it an amazing versatility.

Also... try different insert and CV options to mess with the standard sound. It can really be opened up.
Old 31st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAXAU ➡️
Hmmmm, still torn. It´s a big decision for me.
I say let it be. Go with the Voyager. The wheels are already in motion. US President Harry S Truman is quoted as having said “Once a decision was made, I didn't worry about it afterward...” -- which is just as well, since he's the one who decided in 1945 to drop atomic bombs on Japan.

Hope this helps.
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hmmmm, still torn. It´s a big decision for me. Will get the Voyager for $2650 + slew rate mod $150 + 1V/octave calibration $90 + shipping to Sweden $200 = $3090. Sub 37 = $1380 including shipping which leaves room for some Eventide and strymon. Basically I can get a Sub 37, Eventide Pitchfactor, 2x Moog EP-3´s, Strymon Big Sky and TimeLine for less than a Voyager.
I just spent a few days with my new Voyager RME and I am still exploring it. I have also had a Sub Phatty since it came out. I love the sub, I really do. But the flexibility of the Voyager is at another level. I think this will remain true even for the Sub 37.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
I say let it be. Go with the Voyager. The wheels are already in motion. US President Harry S Truman is quoted as having said “Once a decision was made, I didn't worry about it afterward...” -- which is just as well, since he's the one who decided in 1945 to drop atomic bombs on Japan.

Hope this helps.
Haha, no!

I saw that the Sub 37 could modulate an oscillator with the other oscillator like the voyager can. Is this the same amount of control as on the Voyager for FM?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT ➡️
I just spent a few days with my new Voyager RME and I am still exploring it. I have also had a Sub Phatty since it came out. I love the sub, I really do. But the flexibility of the Voyager is at another level. I think this will remain true even for the Sub 37.
I sold my Sub Phatty as I think it was a silly product due to so many hidden functions with secret handshakes to access them. The 37 is much better but could've had another octave and more functions on the panel IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Haha, no!

I saw that the Sub 37 could modulate an oscillator with the other oscillator like the voyager can. Is this the same amount of control as on the Voyager for FM?
Unless that OSC has a low frequency mode and can also be detached from keyboard tracking (meaning set to a fixed frequency) then no, it would not have the same degree of FM capabilities as the Voyager.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If the 37 had CV out I'd buy it over the Voyager. Maybe it's possible for Moog to make the ins outs instead?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➡️
Unless that OSC has a low frequency mode and can also be detached from keyboard tracking (meaning set to a fixed frequency) then no, it would not have the same degree of FM capabilities as the Voyager.
Aah, yeah it can't do that!

EDIT: Hmmmm, there seem to be a HI / LO button for OSC 2 labelled KB CTRL, could that be it?
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I sold my Sub Phatty as I think it was a silly product due to so many hidden functions with secret handshakes to access them. The 37 is much better but could've had another octave and more functions on the panel IMO.
I use the editor and the knobs so the hidden functions are not an issue for me.

Aside from CV options the Voyager also has stereo filter and HP/LP capability and significantly more internal modulation options. The Voyager also sounds thicker and more alive to my ears. The envelopes are very punchy in a way that can be somewhat replicated on a Sub using the Hold parameter. I find that various combinations of oscillator sync, FM and parameter modulation can produce very meaty tones as frequency rich as an LP with overdrive enabled.

For me the primary advantages of the Sub 37 are loop able envelopes and phase lock. Paraphony and the arp/sequencer are sweet but aren't deal breakers for my needs.
Old 2nd April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The sound of the Voyager is a bit divisive, because its basic settings seem "creamy" or "vanilla" without the same electrical guts of its forebears, according to some people. I can understand that criticism - it is a very creamy synth.

What most of those guys don't realise is how much you can open it up, by a) exploring its sweet spots, b) messing with its inserts and CV stuff, and c) its complex MIDI automation capacity.

This puts the instrument leagues ahead of many vintage synths in terms of sheer versatility, but its best sonic characteristics are only discovered in this way after spending a fair bit of time with it. I've had mine for years; it is still my favourite synth (though it wasn't when I first got it), and I'm still finding new potential for it.
📝 Reply