Quantcast
Keep or Sell JP-8000?! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Keep or Sell JP-8000?!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Keep or Sell JP-8000?!

Obviously, in the end I am going to have to make the decision on my own but I wanted to see what you guys would do. I love the jp8k and it was fantastic to learn on but I don't find myself using it very much anymore. I don't need the money but the extra space would be nice. I'm just worried about the price jumping up in the future and me kicking myself for letting it go for next to nothing.

So, here are my other synths right now- would you keep or sell? If you would sell, I assume I'd get about $600 for it in good shape. Considering i don't need the cash, what would you replace it with?

DSI Tempest, Elektron Analog Four, Roland SH-101, Arturia Microbrute, Waldorf Pulse+, Waldorf Microwave XT, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Quasimidi 309 (probably going to sell), Roland TB-3, Der OTO, Korg Prophecy (on loan to a friend).
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemedia ➑️
...it was fantastic to learn on but I don't find myself using it very much anymore. I don't need the money but the extra space would be nice. I'm just worried about the price jumping up in the future and me kicking myself for letting it go for next to nothing...
If you don't use it, lose it. Who cares about wording things "in case it goes up" espically if you're short on space, that's a collector mentatallity. I've had a JP8080, nice synth used it on my earlier work. Sold it years ago.

IMHO nerver mind trying to replace it's niche with something like it, rather look for a synth that YOU will use for what you're into NOW.

I had probably 15k worth of Roland synths at one time, now they're all gone. No regrets but that's me.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Sell it and get u-he Diva which has all JP-8000 oscillators modelled to perfection
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I sold mine when I found I wasn't using it any more. I enjoyed it for a while but after that it was just taking up space and I used the money I got for it to buy something I use a lot more.

D.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You already have a boatload of mono synths. I would not recommend getting another mono unless you want to sell some of you mono synths for a moog unit. A lot of what is out there would be a lateral move from what you have.

You may want to consider:
1) Access virus
2) Prophet 08 or 12

Mostly for the additional polyphony, better midi impimentation, multi-timbral, etc.
You may want to consider a unit that uses wavetable synthesis.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're not using it, dump it. I purged on all stuff in my studio collecting dust recently and it helped my budget for stuff I would actually use and it was liberating freeing up space in the studio.

Many people think, "eh, just keep it around, you never know if you'll need it and you won't have sellers remorse." To some degree, it is true, but the mind is a very powerful thing. Doing things like making your studio more ergonommic and cleaning out old stuff will spark creativity. If you go into your studio and you see a JP-8000 (or whatever gear) sitting there and you don't use it and you start thinking if you should sell it, etc. it hinders creativity.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
thanks for the input guys. I think i am going to list in on craigslist today and see if i get any bites. you are all right though, no more monos. and i will miss the keyboard on the jp so i'd definitely want to replace it with something that also has a decent size keyboard. i was actually thinking i might want to pick up an esq-1 in its place. those always intrigued me.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
or maybe put the money towards a polysix or juno 106. For either of those at a good price, i'd let the jp8k go in a heartbeat.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
ESQ-1 is excellent. Or better SQ-80 - get that poly AT!
Old 6th March 2014
|-|
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Toss it into a closet, pull it out in a few months and see how it feels. That'll tell you to keep or ditch.

Personally I don't sell anything, but if space is tight then I guess you have no choice.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You may want to consider that the Juno 60 and Juno 106 are single oscillator boards. They have a great sound, but may limit your options later on.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I 2nd the toss in the closet idea
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm pretty much on the same boat right now, though I'm considering selling mine and putting the money toward Korg's reissue of the Arp Odyssey. The JP-8000 is mostly just taking up space at this point (sitting right on my mini bar table, haha), so I'm crossing my fingers on it being a Mini Arp.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm pretty much on the same boat right now, though I'm considering selling mine and putting the money toward Korg's reissue of the Arp Odyssey. The JP-8000 is mostly just taking up space at this point (sitting right on my mini bar table, haha), so I'm crossing my fingers on it being a Mini Arp.
Realize however, that the Arp Odyssey is a Monophonic/Duophonic synthesizer. You would be giving up the 8 voices of polyphony of the JP8000 for the 2 voices of polyphony with the Odyssey. The new reissue may or may not have MIDI.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 ➑️
You may want to consider that the Juno 60 and Juno 106 are single oscillator boards. They have a great sound, but may limit your options later on.
how about a jx3p w/ programmer then? or should i just bite the bullet and get a modern poly like the polyevolver or prophet 08? ugh, or maybe just stick the money in my desk. i'll probably also sell my quasimidi 309 and remote 25 sl mkii and pick up the remote 49 instead. unless there is a better controller that can be had.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Realize however, that the Arp Odyssey is a Monophonic/Duophonic synthesizer. You would be giving up the 8 voices of polyphony of the JP8000 for the 2 voices of polyphony with the Odyssey. The new reissue may or may not have MIDI.
Yeah, I'm most certainly aware that it's an entirely different type of synth polyphony and MIDI wise. I got a Juno-60 not too long ago and it has taken the JP-8000's place in my studio set up as my main poly synth, so I figured getting an Arp will help cover some of those crazier cross mod, ring mod and sync sounds if I got rid of the JP-8000 entirely.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The great thing about being able to buy and sell vintage synths, or any synths is that if you don't like it, you can sell it. Yes, you may take a hit when selling. For instance on Ebay, the sellers fees for PayPal and Ebay will normally be around 15%. Not too bad. However, after going through these experiences, you learn what synths work for you and which ones do not. What is wonderful for one person may not be what another person likes. Fortunately, there aren't that many rare synths out there so availability is usually very good.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
1) Access virus
This was the reason I wasn't using the JP8000 any more
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➑️
This was the reason I wasn't using the JP8000 any more
Yeah, I sold my JP-8000 in 2004 and kept up a regret for losing it that it didn't really deserve. Virus TI does so much more than nitpicking over some foible of the JP. SuperSaw, HyperSaw, get something current and move on.

B
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Personally I'd keep the JP-8000. In my opinion it's the best VA Roland ever made, and the motion sequencer alone makes mine worth more to me than I could sell it for.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Owned a Jp8000 from when they were first released, and later upgraded to a Virus Ti. Virus ti is better in every way. I also owned a Gaia for a short while; if you prefer the roland sound, the Gaia is a good replacement for the Jp8K IMO..doesn't duplicate every function, but what its adds makes up for it (polyphony , effects, and 3 stacked synths especially). Plenty of software can do similar sounds if you're on a budget.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Based on the no. of existing gear - sell it. Based on what it is, keep it.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've had mine for years and have always loved it. I've thought about selling it many times, but always found something else I needed to spend money on more than a replacement for what the JP does for me. (Poly pads, and stabs, ambiance) Motion sequencer is great as well.
Would love to have a virus, but just could never bring myself to put the money in it.
If you like it, keep it. If not, sell it.

I for one am not sure if the JP 8000 will ever reach status / collectibility / price of SH 101, 808,909 etc..... It is just a VA after all. One of the first ones, but still, just a VA. Creating the supersaw can only take you so far
But, I could be wrong. Who knows.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just out of curiosity, Which is better. The Roland JP8000 or the Yamaha AN1X?
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Apples and oranges - they sound completely different.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A mate of mine got an AN1x in the 90's after I got the Jp8000.

He loved it because he was into more retro synth sounds & producers like tangerine dream, and a lot of patches on the An1x are named after old classic analogs. It was more focused on the Analog synth emulation side of things, and did a pretty good job. Usability is quite a bit worse than the JP8000 and jp8k has a heap of controls that make it intuitive and fun to use whereas the an1x is not so good for this. Build quality is better for the jp8000 but you get more keys on the AN1x (61) and 10 note polyphony instead of the jp8k's 8 voices.

The jp8k at the time was a modern dance music producers synth, probably the first ever especially made for that genre. It had sci fi looks and sounds that were new as opposed to retro. My heart still beats thinking about it

An1x is good value today, but you can get synths like the Alesis microns and akai minaks for around the same price, and apart from being more modern, they have way more options for emulating classic analogs. I'd buy one of those before an AN1x personally.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
One thing that I find important to mention is how AN1x sounds cleaner than JP8k and Micron/Miniak - it is really hard to make it alias like a mofo, whereas Micron/Miniak do have some issues regarding this. Not to mention JP8k is aliasing galore, but that's part of its character.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
At one point I had both, purchased new when they first came out. I preferred the sound of the AN1x (which I thought sounded "warmer" more "vintage"), but the interface of the JP-8000 won me over so I ditched the AN1x.

I later picked up a second JP-8000 because they're so much fun to play. Still, I'm thinking about getting rid of one of them now because I'm not playing them as much as I used to. :(
Deleted 0fc8128
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague ➑️
I later picked up a second JP-8000 because they're so much fun to play. Still, I'm thinking about getting rid of one of them now because I'm not playing them as much as I used to. :(
Yep, I did the same with the SH-201, just got two. I find them easier to work with than the Virus and the results are similar useful in the mix. These are the swiss army knifes of the studio and due to the internal effects even more useful than the NL at times. Not prefect by any mean, but they just always work in any situation.
Old 7th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
jp6k does the job properly..
πŸ“ Reply