Quantcast
Keep or Sell JP-8000?! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Keep or Sell JP-8000?!
Old 7th March 2014
  #31
Lives for gear
 
lain2097's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Currently have a AN1x but had a JP8080 and Nord Lead 1.

I'd personally get a JP8080 again, very nice sound, super interface, gotta agree with the above posts. It's filter is kinda yuck with lots of reso but that's been discussed here on GS before.

AN1x is not a bad synth by any means but its interface is sort of cryptic and its raw waves can't hold up without effects. JP8080 can be perfectly useable dry. Conversely AN1x has a much better filter implimentation though.

Also AN1x also does have more modulations and env routings so some wierd patches are possible.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
  #32
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Keep it. The patch 'arctic e-know' alone is worth it
Old 7th May 2014
  #33
Lives for gear
 
divemedia's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
sold it. picked up an esq-1. kept the rest of the cash. feeling damn good about it.
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #34
165099
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemedia ➑️
sold it. picked up an esq-1. kept the rest of the cash. feeling damn good about it.
the ESQ-1 was a good decision. it's somewhat unfortunate that the prices have been steadily rising, but they're worth it.

what isn't worth it is the Juno 106 that you mentioned as a possible JP replacement ...after selling my JP-8000 long ago I bought a Juno 60 and also briefly had a Jupiter 6. both are nice synths but during all of my time with them I was constantly reminded of my old JP. long story short, I replaced them with a JP-8080 years ago and have never missed either.

these days I keep thinking that I should perhaps just get Diva and let my 8080 move on, especially since I have V-Synth and a System-1 arriving soon, but it really is a joy to work with and I don't mind redundancy.
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
shadowfac's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➑️
ESQ-1 is excellent. Or better SQ-80 - get that poly AT!
Call me crazy but I much prefer the ESQ-1. The Poly-AT on the SQ-80 is great for extra expression, but it makes the keyboard quite clicky and it gets really annoying. Also, I'm quite sure the ESQ-1 I used to have sounded warmer and nicer than the SQ-80 I currently own. The only plus of the SQ-80 are the extra waveforms, but if I could choose, I'd go for an ESQ-1.

Either one is great, though.
Old 7th May 2014
  #36
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
if your not using it, I'd sell it and get another VA like the Ultranova from Novation because it's new and I hope it will inspire you as well.

I had the JP8080 but sold it for the MOPHO.. what a mistake. but the extra money did get me some new jeans and a nice shirt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by divemedia ➑️
Obviously, in the end I am going to have to make the decision on my own but I wanted to see what you guys would do. I love the jp8k and it was fantastic to learn on but I don't find myself using it very much anymore. I don't need the money but the extra space would be nice. I'm just worried about the price jumping up in the future and me kicking myself for letting it go for next to nothing.

So, here are my other synths right now- would you keep or sell? If you would sell, I assume I'd get about $600 for it in good shape. Considering i don't need the cash, what would you replace it with?

DSI Tempest, Elektron Analog Four, Roland SH-101, Arturia Microbrute, Waldorf Pulse+, Waldorf Microwave XT, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Quasimidi 309 (probably going to sell), Roland TB-3, Der OTO, Korg Prophecy (on loan to a friend).
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
hgigh's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemedia ➑️
sold it. picked up an esq-1. kept the rest of the cash. feeling damn good about it.
Talk about polar opposites.
Going from knob/slider-per-function (mostly) JP-8000 to a menu diver like ESQ-1.
I hope you enjoy your new ESQ-1!
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
divemedia's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgigh ➑️
Talk about polar opposites.
Going from knob/slider-per-function (mostly) JP-8000 to a menu diver like ESQ-1.
I hope you enjoy your new ESQ-1!
Yea, polar opposites in a lot of ways! I've always been very interested in the esq-1 though so i'm happy about it. i don't mind menu diving a ton so long as its a well thought out menu. i have enough other knobby gear anyway that losing the jp8k isn't a huge deal. it was more the sentimental attachment i had to it but in the end i wasn't using it for much more than a midi keyboard.
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgigh ➑️
Talk about polar opposites.
Going from knob/slider-per-function (mostly) JP-8000 to a menu diver like ESQ-1.
I hope you enjoy your new ESQ-1!

ahhhh the ESQ1 from Ensoniq.. My very first real Analog synth in 97. It has a sequencer, very nice thick sounds on the low end, I love it's velocity cutoff feature(I love it), nice on pads, nice on poly synth stuff, very heavy..

At that time, I had no idea how a synth work... All I did was, well there was no knobs but all I did was press buttons and use that one slider lol.. It sounds very good.. This is one of the synths I would love to have back(if I have space).. It was indeed an exciting time.. The manual was good too but just didn't understand enough how the synth works.. My synth vocab was not up to par at that time lol.
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
hgigh's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev ➑️
ahhhh the ESQ1 from Ensoniq.. My very first real Analog synth in 97. It has a sequencer, very nice thick sounds on the low end, I love it's velocity cutoff feature(I love it), nice on pads, nice on poly synth stuff, very heavy..
I believe it has analog filters but it is not analog.
and yes, it is a tank, I have it on a dual stand with my DX-7 making that the heaviest stand in my studio.
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #41
F5D
Lives for gear
 
F5D's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by |-| ➑️
Toss it into a closet, pull it out in a few months and see how it feels. That'll tell you to keep or ditch. Personally I don't sell anything, but if space is tight then I guess you have no choice.
I have half of my synths in a closet, also my JP-8080.
Actually I have also been thinking about selling the 8080. I do not really need it at all, but it has its history, and on the other hand, they go for so low price these days that I rather have it in my closet and smile when I see it there every once in a while.
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
mpresev's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgigh ➑️
I believe it has analog filters but it is not analog.
and yes, it is a tank, I have it on a dual stand with my DX-7 making that the heaviest stand in my studio.
I swear if my memory serves me right, I read that it's DCO? maybe i'm confusing this with another synth..
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
divemedia's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev ➑️
I swear if my memory serves me right, I read that it's DCO? maybe i'm confusing this with another synth..
Here is what wiki says:
Quote:
Ensoniq ESQ-1 is a 61-key, velocity sensitive, eight-note polyphonic and multitimbral synthesizer released by Ensoniq in 1986. Although its voice generation is typically subtractive in much the same fashion as most analog synthesizers that preceded it, its oscillators are neither voltage nor "digitally controlled", but provided by a custom Ensoniq wavetable chip. The rest of the signal path is analog, including resonant low-pass filters.
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #44
165099
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpresev ➑️
I swear if my memory serves me right, I read that it's DCO? maybe i'm confusing this with another synth..
it isn't DCO, the ESQ-1 uses digital wavetable oscillators which is why it is known as a hybrid synth, digital into analog. Korg's DW-8000 is another example of this type of synth and there are several more. these are in my opinion far more interesting than most DCO synths.
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #45
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I think in today's world if you're going for that trancey supersaw sound, Evil Dragon is correct, just use Diva unless you're gigging and will not travel with a laptop. If you want super-trancey, look to Gladiator 2 which also does a really good IMO super-saw and comes jam packed with trance sounds that I have to spend hours tweaking to be useable.

In hardware though, value per dollar goes to Korg's Kingkorg IMO. Excellent sounding super-saw and other oscs with really warm sounding filters.

Check it:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...lter-showdown/

Pretty damn good, though the Kingkorg fails with the resonance cranked (which is something I never do) and you can hear the aliasing. It does cover a wider range than the Prophet though.

I'm surprised the op went with an ESQ-1, especially when he was trying to "make some room." I like that sound, but I found the free software emulation close enough and easier to program. I had an SQ-80 for a week and the programming and crappy feeling keyboard made me toss it right back up on eBay. Maybe the ESQ-1 is better...
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by divemedia ➑️
sold it. picked up an esq-1. kept the rest of the cash. feeling damn good about it.
cool! you've got me curious about exchanging my jp8000 for the esq-1, a synth i've always been interested in (actually want an sq80 but the esq-1 comes up for sale more often).

1. what does the esq-1 do for you that the jp8000 couldn't?

2. what, if anything, do you miss about the jp8000?

3. on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being an expert), how would you rate your in-depth expertise on the jp8000?

4. did you use the jp8000's tricks like individual trigger? eps? did you use a sequencer to control it via CC's? just trying to get a sense of how much of the jp's capabilities you used and if you miss them now that you have the esq-1.

thanks!
Old 7th May 2014 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
I think in today's world if you're going for that trancey supersaw sound, Evil Dragon is correct, just use Diva unless you're gigging and will not travel with a laptop.
if the iPad is part of your workflow, beepstreet's sunrizer app more than covers the jp8000 sound (except it doesn't do that awful digital distortion sound that the jp8000 does when the oscillators overload the filter!)
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #48
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
At this point I plan to keep my JP-8000 indefinitely. I just bought a 2nd one to keep as a backup because the prices are so low. There are many factors though on whether you should keep or sell, including whether it works well for the type of music/sound you do and whether you have other synths to cover other bases that aren't the JP-8000's strenghts. Fortunately I've never sold any of my hardware synths so I have a good variety.
That said I've never tried Diva or any other soft synths that are supposed to mimic the JP-8000. I really like the hardware synth layout and the simplicity of the Perf/Patch architecture as well as the simple chorus and delay so I have no desire whatsoever to go to software interface w/ a mouse or controller etc...
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
divemedia's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes ➑️
cool! you've got me curious about exchanging my jp8000 for the esq-1, a synth i've always been interested in (actually want an sq80 but the esq-1 comes up for sale more often).

1. what does the esq-1 do for you that the jp8000 couldn't?
I don't think you can easily compare the two but I have plenty of other machines to cover the bases of what i may have lost as far as the flexibility offered by the jp8k. overall, i like the sound of the wavetable oscillators running through an all analog signal path. that right there offers a ton of different options for sound sculpting.

2. what, if anything, do you miss about the jp8000?
i miss all of it's wonderful knobs and sliders!

3. on a scale of 1 to 10 (with 10 being an expert), how would you rate your in-depth expertise on the jp8000?
11 - i got it when it first came out so i've had it for quite some time.

4. did you use the jp8000's tricks like individual trigger? eps? did you use a sequencer to control it via CC's? just trying to get a sense of how much of the jp's capabilities you used and if you miss them now that you have the esq-1.
I did not use the rps and triggers very much in my workflow. i feel like that would have been cooler for live use which i never used it for. i did like its arp though from time to time. i mainly controlled it's 2 parts via logic. one nice thing about the esq-1 though is it is 8 parts multitimbral so that gives me a lot more to work with.

thanks!
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #50
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstrakt ➑️
At this point I plan to keep my JP-8000 indefinitely. I just bought a 2nd one to keep as a backup because the prices are so low. There are many factors though on whether you should keep or sell, including whether it works well for the type of music/sound you do and whether you have other synths to cover other bases that aren't the JP-8000's strenghts. Fortunately I've never sold any of my hardware synths so I have a good variety.
That said I've never tried Diva or any other soft synths that are supposed to mimic the JP-8000. I really like the hardware synth layout and the simplicity of the Perf/Patch architecture as well as the simple chorus and delay so I have no desire whatsoever to go to software interface w/ a mouse or controller etc...
Diva can do the Supersaw thing quite well, just not 100% the JP8000 sound. Bit bizarre to read claims that it does it to perfection, it doesn't.

Considering what JP8000s go for second hand, I'm not quite sure selling it and replacing it with Diva makes much sense.
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I think the OP needs to decide what he wants to do with his sound and create a sound palette and gear based around that.

Otherwise it's just a lot of mental masturbation of buying this, selling that without much of a plan.
Old 8th May 2014
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Optical Lens's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Swap it for an AIRA System-1 maybe? It is $599 and has the supersaw +++++
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 ➑️
I think the OP needs to decide what he wants to do with his sound and create a sound palette and gear based around that.

Otherwise it's just a lot of mental masturbation of buying this, selling that without much of a plan.
OP has already decided. sold the jp8000 and got the esq-1 and so far doesn't regret it.
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #54
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by haze015 ➑️
Diva can do the Supersaw thing quite well, just not 100% the JP8000 sound. Bit bizarre to read claims that it does it to perfection, it doesn't.

Considering what JP8000s go for second hand, I'm not quite sure selling it and replacing it with Diva makes much sense.
I recently heard a demo of supersaw sounds that included Diva but the JP8000 wasn't included. I don't know how close Diva is to the JP8000, but I remember that Urs Heckman has always stated that he veers from coding a perfect emulation when he thinks he can get it to sound better. This is his opinion, of course, but I think it sounds pretty damn good... and is $179.

Spire does a good job too, btw. More often than not I'll turn to Gladiator 2 when I want a big supersaw pad. Is it close to the JP8000? I don't care. I like it.

The take-away I got from the supersaw demo was that a lot of software synths do a very nice job despite their differences. I think a lot of people spend their time looking for an exact emulation of their beloved synth and in the process fail to appreciate progress or a different take on it.
Old 8th May 2014
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Soundsauca's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
One day the JP's will be revered. They are far from perfect and yeah software emus are close, but I've yet to hear a supersaw done better than the JP's, even Roland's own V-Synth looses something. It's also far more than a trance synth. It's a keeper for me.
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #56
Lives for gear
 
erdi's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by totty ➑️
One day the JP's will be revered. They are far from perfect and yeah software emus are close, but I've yet to hear a supersaw done better than the JP's,
*cough* Virus
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by totty ➑️
far more than a trance synth.
jp8000 is awesome, even with its minor flaws and omissions. my two big ones are ugly digital distortion when oscillators overload the filter, and an LFO that doesn't have the option to retrigger on key press.

but the sound, interface, and features are classic. my favorite interface touch is having the cutoff and resonance use sliders instead of knobs, allowing you to play the keyboard with your left hand and tweak the cutoff and rez SIMULTANEOUSLY with the right hand. wish more synths did this.

maybe i won't sell the jp8000 after all.
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #58
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuitionnyc ➑️
If you're not using it, dump it. I purged on all stuff in my studio collecting dust recently and it helped my budget for stuff I would actually use and it was liberating freeing up space in the studio.

Many people think, "eh, just keep it around, you never know if you'll need it and you won't have sellers remorse." To some degree, it is true, but the mind is a very powerful thing. Doing things like making your studio more ergonommic and cleaning out old stuff will spark creativity. If you go into your studio and you see a JP-8000 (or whatever gear) sitting there and you don't use it and you start thinking if you should sell it, etc. it hinders creativity.
I totally agree. Its very poweful for me to sell stuff and only be surrounded by stuff I really want to use. Its like Im updated and it keeps me more focused.

I definitely feel a drag when I keep stuff around only for 'maybe' this or that in some future moment
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Soundsauca's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdi ➑️
*cough* Virus
Got a TI, No way! It's good, but it ain't the same
Old 8th May 2014 | Show parent
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Soundsauca's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes ➑️
jp8000 is awesome, even with its minor flaws and omissions. my two big ones are ugly digital distortion when oscillators overload the filter, and an LFO that doesn't have the option to retrigger on key press.

but the sound, interface, and features are classic. my favorite interface touch is having the cutoff and resonance use sliders instead of knobs, allowing you to play the keyboard with your left hand and tweak the cutoff and rez SIMULTANEOUSLY with the right hand. wish more synths did this.

maybe i won't sell the jp8000 after all.
Sorry to throw a spanner in, you're right though
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 407 views: 67795
Avatar for hcppp
hcppp 19th January 2021
replies: 52 views: 18481
Avatar for analog1
analog1 2nd April 2012
replies: 82 views: 18722
Avatar for aircoholic
aircoholic 14th December 2018
replies: 7428 views: 796982
Avatar for ToyBox
ToyBox 2nd May 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump