Quantcast
Is the Sylenth GUI sizeable at all?. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the Sylenth GUI sizeable at all?.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is the Sylenth GUI sizeable at all?.

Its so small on my new laptop screen at 1080 x 1920. I would love to be able to make it bigger, twice as big would be really great. I'll send Lennar Digital an email, I wonder is he working on that.
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Nope. Most VSTs have non-resizeable GUIs since they use bitmaps. Rare ones are bitmapped that offer multiple sizes (u-he plugins, for example).
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'll send Lennar Digital an email, I wonder is he working on that.
Good luck….but he is working on Mac OS x 64 bit support.

Should be out in a few months.

Which just goes to show he is still alive and well.

Cheers
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️

Cheers
Lets hope so. Real PWM would be nice too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
Nope. Most VSTs have non-resizeable GUIs since they use bitmaps. Rare ones are bitmapped that offer multiple sizes (u-he plugins, for example).
Ok I see, that's a pity. It probably wouldn't be too hard for him to make it happen and it really, really needs it. Thanks for the reply.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️

Cheers
Lol. I'll report back if I get an answer on that email.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D ➡️
Lets hope so. Real PWM would be nice too.
PWM, a more sophisticated modulation section, and a bigger GUI. Most other synths could go back to sleep for another few years if he did that.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny ➡️
It probably wouldn't be too hard for him to make it happen and it really, really needs it. Thanks for the reply.
You don't know that, you didn't code the plugin. It can be quite tricky to do it.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
There are some lately that are vector based and are resizable as Madrona Labs Aalto and Valhalla DSP effects.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
PWM, a more sophisticated modulation section, and a bigger GUI. Most other synths could go back to sleep for another few years if he did that.
That's the beauty of Sylenth though, its not sophisticated, but sounds great. I cut my synthesis teeth on that thing, as I'm sure a boat load of others did as well.

I moved on to Zebra and......wow! Even if there is an update, I'm too used to the luxuries of twenty some odd filter choices, comb filters, MSEGs, osc fx, a little FM, and the list goes on. Also, while Reveal Spire was billed the Sylenth killer, I was not that impressed with the initial release. The latest update however significantly improved the sound of that thing. I was missing the drive knob that Sylenth has on that filter which just would take it to places that many could not go, but Reveal added the boost and warmth functions, along with a new filter that outshines the others by quite a bit, which kind of puts it in the same neighborhood IMO.
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Its so small on my new laptop screen at 1080 x 1920. I would love to be able to make it bigger, twice as big would be really great. I'll send Lennar Digital an email, I wonder is he working on that.
id say sylenth is fairly sizeable. its about 3.3mb. so its not small but not huge either.
Old 7th March 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've got an iMac that runs at 2560x1440, and despite the 27" screen, Sylenth (which I love) is just too damn small. This is the same for most other software instruments, that seem to have been coded back when people were running at 1024x768 or 1600x1200.

On one hand, it's nice because I can fit a lot of them on my screen, but when you get into editing the buttons are just teeny.

I know nothing about coding, but IMHO moving forward these things need to be designed to allow for different sizes for different screen resolutions.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
GUI is ugly as heck on it. Just my opinion, and felt like saying it.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJesus ➡️
GUI is ugly as heck on it. Just my opinion, and felt like saying it.
get out of here, asshole.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
You don't know that, you didn't code the plugin. It can be quite tricky to do it.
Ok, I'll rephrase that. I understand it could take a bit of work, but it would be really great if he could do that. And seen as how its one of the best and most loved synths in the world and the GUI is like a postage stamp on my screen. I feel it really, really needs it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's the beauty of Sylenth though, its not sophisticated, but sounds great. I cut my synthesis teeth on that thing, as I'm sure a boat load of others did as well.

I moved on to Zebra and......wow! Even if there is an update, I'm too used to the luxuries of twenty some odd filter choices, comb filters, MSEGs, osc fx, a little FM, and the list goes on. Also, while Reveal Spire was billed the Sylenth killer, I was not that impressed with the initial release. The latest update however significantly improved the sound of that thing. I was missing the drive knob that Sylenth has on that filter which just would take it to places that many could not go, but Reveal added the boost and warmth functions, along with a new filter that outshines the others by quite a bit, which kind of puts it in the same neighborhood IMO.
Agreed Sylenth is just perfect to learn on, and the sound is so good you end up kind of taking it for granted until you start using other synths and then you realise not all synths are created equal. At all.

Zebra 3 could be the greatest single thing mankind has made thus far. New filters from Diva etc. phew. Although like Evil Dragon said in another thread the Dark Zebra already has Diva filters, but I'm going to wait for Zebra 3 I think. I have enough to be getting on with.

I got the demo for Spire a while ago and was really well laid out and I liked the sound. Not a Sylenth killer at all imo. I might have to look at it again after reading your post.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd ➡️
I've got an iMac that runs at 2560x1440, and despite the 27" screen, Sylenth (which I love) is just too damn small. This is the same for most other software instruments, that seem to have been coded back when people were running at 1024x768 or 1600x1200.

On one hand, it's nice because I can fit a lot of them on my screen, but when you get into editing the buttons are just teeny.

I know nothing about coding, but IMHO moving forward these things need to be designed to allow for different sizes for different screen resolutions.
I agree it feels wrong noodling around in that little space. I love this synth, I would love to see a bigger GUI for it. I sent Lennar Digital an email and while he did get back to me within hours a few weeks ago over a beta 64bit question, I don't think he'll reply to this lol. Dam thing NEEDS BIGGER STUFF.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed Sylenth is just perfect to learn on, and the sound is so good you end up kind of taking it for granted until you start using other synths and then you realise not all synths are created equal. At all.

Zebra 3 could be the greatest single thing mankind has made thus far. New filters from Diva etc. phew. Although like Evil Dragon said in another thread the Dark Zebra already has Diva filters, but I'm going to wait for Zebra 3 I think. I have enough to be getting on with.

I got the demo for Spire a while ago and was really well laid out and I liked the sound. Not a Sylenth killer at all imo. I might have to look at it again after reading your post.
Yes, looking forward to Zebra3.

Remember when Spire came out and at first there was no arp? It said, coming soon where it was supposed to be. Then it got an arp a month later, so I think it just was not finished at all. I don't really get that, but I'm sure they had their reasons for rushing it. And now with the latest update I feel like it is what it was supposed to be, its just much more complete, and has the balls to boot. It was lacking serious low end and I never used it but have been lately. There are still several things I think they could do to make it even better but we shall see. I really have no faith that Sylenth2 is coming. Hope for the best......
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, looking forward to Zebra3.

Remember when Spire came out and at first there was no arp? It said, coming soon where it was supposed to be. Then it got an arp a month later, so I think it just was not finished at all. I don't really get that, but I'm sure they had their reasons for rushing it. And now with the latest update I feel like it is what it was supposed to be, its just much more complete, and has the balls to boot. It was lacking serious low end and I never used it but have been lately. There are still several things I think they could do to make it even better but we shall see. I really have no faith that Sylenth2 is coming. Hope for the best......
Cool!. I like the sound of all that. Can you make the GUI bigger too? .
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well that's cool, Lennar Digital got back on that. He said "Unfortunately that is not possible with the current version yet". That's an interesting reply with the "yet" at the end. Interesting to see what will happen with Sylenth over the next while.

Small GUI or not I guess I'll still be using it all the time.
📝 Reply