Quantcast
Yamaha su700 with faulty knobs - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha su700 with faulty knobs
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yamaha su700 with faulty knobs

So my su700 suffers from the dreaded faulty knobs issue.
I fear it'll cost a fortune to get it fixed, so I'm looking into trying myself.
Some questions:

1 - is it difficult to get to the knobs in order to clean them? Does anyone have info on how to proceed, and what kind of cleaning liquid to use?

2 - is it a viable option to swap some of the knobs? The thing is I can live with not all knobs working, but it's harder that both knobs for the "loop" pads are faulty. So if I could swap these with a couple of the "free" pads, I'd be back in the game.

3 - is it difficult to replace the encoders with new ones? I see there are a couple of shops online selling brand new encoders.

Any input highly appreciated.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
90s gear if it hasnt been taken care of or if it was heavily used will need components replaced. i am unaware of any repair effort involving 'cleaning knobs' that ended in a usable result, when it comes to that kind of gear. people regularly replace encoders with higher spec units if available for the gear in need.
Old 6th March 2014
htk
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Cleaning worked for me. I bought a used unit and only 2 or 3 knobs didn't jump around, most of them went to 127 straight.

Take the unit apart following instruction manual, inside you have to remove all the screws on the front panel pcb and 1 cable (from the ribbon controller if I remember correctly). Then you can turn around the pcb and start spraying the encoders with a cleaning spray. The encoders are pretty well enclosed, so I had to apply the cleaning solution many many times to get the dirt moving inside, i.e. sprayed all the encoders from different spots to ensure the cleaner would reach the dirt, moved them around for a while, waited for the cleaner to work and evaporate ~20 mins and repeated 4-5 times. My cleaner did have lubrication with it and ended up diluting the grease inside the encoders and made the "action" very light. I don't know if this would have been avoided with a cleaner without lubrication, but it doesn't bother me as some of the knobs were already like this and it kind of bothered me more that they weren't all similar in their action.

I don't see why you couldn't swap the encoders if you want, but if you don't immensely enjoy desoldering and soldering I'd just replace them with new ones if going that route.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i have never had luck cleaning cheap encoders, like on the asrx i ended up just replacing them with higher spec encoders.

guess if it works for you... glad you stopped in and laid truth down
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll try to clean the encoders first then. Any thoughts on what cleaning solution to go for?
Old 6th March 2014
htk
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
What I used is described as a cleaner and lubricant for electromechanical devices. Consists of butane, propane, kerosene, lubricant and isopropyl alcohol. There are probably many similar available, this one is called PRF 7-78. PRF 6-68 is the same without the lubricants I believe.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by htk ➑️
What I used is described as a cleaner and lubricant for electromechanical devices. Consists of butane, propane, kerosene, lubricant and isopropyl alcohol. There are probably many similar available, this one is called PRF 7-78. PRF 6-68 is the same without the lubricants I believe.
Great, thanks mate. You're suggesting I go for one without lubricants?
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
htk
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo ➑️
Great, thanks mate. You're suggesting I go for one without lubricants?
Can't comment on that as I haven't used one without a lubricant. Then you might need to spray a lubricant product afterwards. My can cost around 5 euros and I've used it on many things successfully.

One thing I may add is that you should probably start with spraying just a little, even try just taking the plastic knobs off and spraying without taking the case apart. That worked for me great on another Yamaha sampler with encoders, but the SU700 needed more in my case.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by htk ➑️
Can't comment on that as I haven't used one without a lubricant. Then you might need to spray a lubricant product afterwards. My can cost around 5 euros and I've used it on many things successfully.

One thing I may add is that you should probably start with spraying just a little, even try just taking the plastic knobs off and spraying without taking the case apart. That worked for me great on another Yamaha sampler with encoders, but the SU700 needed more in my case.
Ok, I'll follow your tips, htk. Thanks a bunch for your input, much appreciated :-)
Old 10th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Dude use this

Works great on my SU700
Old 11th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ TEKNIK ➑️
Dude use this

Works great on my SU700
Thanx for the heads up! :-)
Old 29th June 2014
d2a
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Re: SU700 encoders. They do get a lot of use, and in my experience are prone to erratic jumpiness. I've written up my work with them, using cleaning products, dismantling, and finally sourcing replacement parts here: Yamaha SU700 encoder repair and replacement. Short story is you can get new, reliable, off-the-shelf components that work perfectly for less than 50p (~70c) each - you just have to be able to solder. Hope it helps someone else...
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sounds great, d2a, I'll have a serious look at your findings :D
Old 29th June 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks a bunch D2a! Although I have sold all my SU's a long time ago I did enjoy reading your cleaning / replacement manual!!
πŸ“ Reply