Quantcast
Why do I always think I've heard that before? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why do I always think I've heard that before?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why do I always think I've heard that before?

Basically, I feel guilty if I come up with something that reminds me of something that someone else has done even though I only do it for fun.

How guilty should I feel?

Should I just do something Timbaland style and not care if I lift something from someone else and not mention it, should I hope that no one finds out, or is it really easy these days to make something that sounds similar because everyone has access to sound making equipment (vst etc) and everyone is just using the same preset sounds and arpeggiations?

This track from 5:20 (there's other parts too)

has a section that sounds to me like it was sampled and sped up and then used in the beginning of this tune

Do my ears deceive me, is everyone using the same presets too often so everything sounds the same or am I just imagining it?

In about 2008 I got back into listening to dance music, it was some psy trance at the time. After buying about 9 CD albums in a row (released over the next couple of years) I started to hear the same sounds being used (sample packs/presets?) I haven't bought any music since. I don't feel like paying for the same thing twice.

Or am I just an old whinging bastard who should spend more time worrying about when my prostate is going to pack up?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't feel bad!

Also:
http://www.whosampled.com/
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Because theoratically you can't come up with something completely new. Also nowadays music has become a "mass product" more than ever.

There is a nice series "Everything is a remix" on Vimeo I think. It'll show you an interesting perspective on creativity.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm pretty sure there's some reharmonization going on there in order to force those songs to fit the progression. And he's a good singer so he's changed the melodies around a little to fit it better as well.

But to the OP, it's totally normal to sound similar to your main influences. People say my piano music sounds like Yanni, and it's understandable since I listened to him a lot in my formative years (don't judge). Since then I've gotten into electronic music and have incorporated that into the music and my style has turned into something different. The important thing is that you evolve and continually recrystallize your sound until something interesting and unique comes out of it.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You are a filter.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
it HAS been done unless you're doing something discordant or atonal.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego ➑️
it HAS been done unless you're doing something discordant or atonal.
Ho-hum, looks like it's Derek Bailey for me then :-(
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
well in reference to your OP maybe just stop listening to psytrance because it's all basically exactly the same.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ MIAOW!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…