Quantcast
Should I consolidate my monosynths? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Should I consolidate my monosynths?
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
One thing about the Pulse 2 though... I'm listening to demos and... well not really feeling it. Can someone point me to Pulse 2 demos where it really shines? I hit Waldorf's site and a few soundcloud and youtube videos of the Pulse 2 and... maybe I should see if someone near me has it so I can hear it in person.

edit: OK, found this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvG__N0Q0o8

of course I should have checked musictrackjp first!

Yeah, the more I think about it this might be for me.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
that $5200 for a single monosynth is something I'd be interested in unless some rich patron (PM me if that's you heh) decides to commission a piece from me for a ton of cash.
I'm not a rich patron, and yet i got myself a GRP A4. I'm willing to bet that all the gear you have is worth more than all the gear i have. I could have bought small\medium monosynths in the course of a few years and find myself with 5000$ worth of "small" synths - but more importantly, just find out that i have spent 5000$. It's your decision if you want to aim all that moeny at one mega versatile synth, or 5-6 smaller ones. Can't tell you which is better. 5 synths got 5 different filter flavors. The GRP has a dual filter, each of the filters has 4 modes, and you can use them separately, or in serial, or in parallel. So you get a similar versatility from 5 small ones or a single big one. I just find it more practical to get to know one very good synth "inside out". If you have 5 synths, it's like you "force" yourself to find something for each synth to do, just to feel like their existence in your setup is justified.
So i feel pretty comfortable with the GRP A4 as my main mono, the Vermona Perfourmer mkii as a different flavor and a "mono-poly" hybrid, and the SE Omega 8 as my main analog poly. I'f i'll add more synths than that i'll start getting confused and cluttered. So my "philosophy" is get yourself one, best, for each category, and concentrate on that. But that's me.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would sell them all and use the money to build a modular.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I bought my Pulse 2 straight after two seconds of listening to its raw oscillator sound from sonicstate demo, and I fell in love this synth immediately after I started tweaking presets and building my own from scratch. Though I cannot point to a good demo of it. First minute of sonicstate's review was enough in my case)
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What I'd really like to do is buy out the daily mail (uk crap newspaper) and keep the whole paper the same, except for every day I'd drop the usual headline and swap it for a gearslutz quandary of the day. Just like:

Should I consolidate my monosynths? Kate Middleton, royal mum of the moment, asks you dear mail readers, if she should ditch her old analogue faves to make way for the new school coming from korg later this summer. "Royal baby George loves making moog moog noises" said William yesterday.

Page 2 would be the usual casual racism, page 3 picking on single mums and so on.

As you were.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 ➑️
I'm not a rich patron, and yet i got myself a GRP A4. I'm willing to bet that all the gear you have is worth more than all the gear i have. I could have bought small\medium monosynths in the course of a few years and find myself with 5000$ worth of "small" synths - but more importantly, just find out that i have spent 5000$. It's your decision if you want to aim all that moeny at one mega versatile synth, or 5-6 smaller ones. Can't tell you which is better. 5 synths got 5 different filter flavors. The GRP has a dual filter, each of the filters has 4 modes, and you can use them separately, or in serial, or in parallel. So you get a similar versatility from 5 small ones or a single big one. I just find it more practical to get to know one very good synth "inside out". If you have 5 synths, it's like you "force" yourself to find something for each synth to do, just to feel like their existence in your setup is justified.
So i feel pretty comfortable with the GRP A4 as my main mono, the Vermona Perfourmer mkii as a different flavor and a "mono-poly" hybrid, and the SE Omega 8 as my main analog poly. I'f i'll add more synths than that i'll start getting confused and cluttered. So my "philosophy" is get yourself one, best, for each category, and concentrate on that. But that's me.
No way. Not counting my guitar stuff I've spent a total of $3900 USD That's less than one of your synths and depending on how your Omega 8 is configured that doubles your synth equity without even counting the Perfourmer.

I'm not being critical... I think your philosophy is really good and I'd honestly love to have that set up... but considering what I use it for I think I'm happy with a more modest set up. If synth was my main instrument, or I was making a living off my music, I bet I'd have at least the Omega 8 by now. However, it's not. Guitar is my main instrument so synths are kind of like my hobby's hobby.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sell the P08 and Mopho and get a Mopho x4. You lose 4 voices and some knobs but get the feedback.
Deleted f25ebd2
Quote:
I'm willing to bet that all the gear you have is worth more than all the gear i have....... GRP A4 as my main mono, the Vermona Perfourmer mkii as a different flavor and a "mono-poly" hybrid, and the SE Omega 8 as my main analog poly........
I see you are a gambling man . The cheapest synth you have is what, $2000? Sounds like a boss setup, though.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth ➑️
Sell the P08 and Mopho and get a Mopho x4. You lose 4 voices and some knobs but get the feedback.
Why? The feedback on the Mopho x4 and Tetra is no big deal. It can thicken things up a little. But it's certainly not worth sacrificing the extra 4 voices and the more complete set of knobs on the Prophet.

Also, the sub oscillators on the Tetra and Mopho x4 are terrible. In fact, given their harsh, brittle sound, they are almost not worth having, IMO. Patches sound SO much better when you use a triangle or square wave from Layer B as the sub(s) rather than the dedicated sub oscillators. Plus, you have more control over the sound by using Layer B as sub oscillators. So even though this cuts the polyphony in half, you still have 4 voices on the Prophet vs. two on the Mopho x4 or Tetra (when using Layer B as sub oscillators).

Edit: This is where the Pulse 2 also kicks ass. Having 3 oscillators allows you to have a sub if you want/need it. But if you aren't using oscillator 3 as a sub, you have it available to fatten up the sound or to do cool modulation stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f25ebd2 ➑️
I see you are a gambling man . The cheapest synth you have is what, $2000? Sounds like a boss setup, though.
Nah. The cheapest hardware synth\keyboard i have is the Casio PX-5s. Costs 1000$. There are other even cheaper components, like maschine - 500$, and other softies etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No way. Not counting my guitar stuff I've spent a total of $3900 USD
How much did you spend on musical equipment - including your guitar stuff (if i may ask)?

Quote:
If synth was my main instrument, or I was making a living off my music, I bet I'd have at least the Omega 8 by now. However, it's not. Guitar is my main instrument so synths are kind of like my hobby's hobby.
Synths are my main instrument - but i certainly don't make a living off music. It's also a hobby for me. I mean, come on. One look at the "show us your slutty setups" thread reveals that people here have way way more, that's worth way more. There are lots of people on GS that have outboard fx, compressors etc that are alone worth 5 times more than my setup.
Old 6th March 2014
Deleted f25ebd2
We weren't knocking you at all for having nice stuff. I'm pretty sure zerocrossing and myself would love to have your synths and it sounds like a very well thought-out setup. It was just kind of funny that you offered to make a bet that what he has is worth more in total than your synths, then listed 3 absolutely top end machines that together cost ~10k!
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
synths are kind of like my hobby's hobby.
That's a concept I should present to my wife. "Guess what honey? My hobby's got a hobby. It's called "effect boxes" ".

She probably won't take it nicely.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I totally respect people who can actually save up for high-end synths instead of buying a small one every single time they can (like me).

I found a solution to my problem, though.

I went modular.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f25ebd2 ➑️
We weren't knocking you at all for having nice stuff. I'm pretty sure zerocrossing and myself would love to have your synths and it sounds like a very well thought-out setup. It was just kind of funny that you offered to make a bet that what he has is worth more in total than your synths, then listed 3 absolutely top end machines that together cost ~10k!
Quote:
How much did you spend on musical equipment - including your guitar stuff (if i may ask)?

Synths are my main instrument - but i certainly don't make a living off music. It's also a hobby for me. I mean, come on. One look at the "show us your slutty setups" thread reveals that people here have way way more, that's worth way more. There are lots of people on GS that have outboard fx, compressors etc that are alone worth 5 times more than my setup.
Yeah, let's back up a bit and say, that I have absolutely no judgement on you, or anyone else here, for what they choose to spend on gear. Like I say, this ain't GearPrudz. I have a few nice guitars... $1400, $800 and a $400. A NS/Stick I paid $2000 for... Kemper Amp Profiler and POD 500 that came to $1500... Maschine was... $400 I think? $200 for a DX200... anyway, computer and software and I have spent a lot. There's no doubt... but you still win for sure and in the synth dept and you should. It's your main instrument.

I didn't say I thought $5000 was too much to pay for the A4. I said it felt like too much for me to spend on a single synth. Especially these days when I lost my steady gig and have been scraping by with contract work... oh yeah, and that job I lost happened right before the birth of my baby girl. Want to talk about spending money on gear? Those babies cost quite a bit.

So, in reality, even if I did decide to get the A4, I couldn't any time soon. Even if I sold all my synth stuff I'd have a fraction of what it would cost to buy the A4 and I budget myself $150 a month for toys so it would take quite a long time for me to make up the rest of the cash to get one. Also... then I'd have one synth (and software I guess) which is not optimal with the way I work. I could probably do fine with 2... 3 would be optimal. The way I make music is to create live audio loops of synths, voice and guitars that are synced to sequenced percussion. This makes it important to have a decent number of audio sources that are always available and why I have a Presonus 16.0.4 audio card when it's just me.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️
That's a concept I should present to my wife. "Guess what honey? My hobby's got a hobby. It's called "effect boxes" ".

She probably won't take it nicely.
Hahaha, I've already bought a real ukulele "for" my little girl... she's 11 months old... and I've talked about her first Monotron set up.

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac ➑️
I totally respect people who can actually save up for high-end synths instead of buying a small one every single time they can (like me).

I found a solution to my problem, though.

I went modular.
I think about modular from time to time. It seems like both a dream... and a nightmare. I learned synthesis on one at IAR in NYC way back in the 80s. It was a super good way to learn wut da wut.

But these days my time is somewhat limited in my studio. I get an hour here... two hours there... work, house stuff and baby/familiy time take a big chunk of my life. I'm not complaining but these days after dinner I'm often spent and just want to watch The Americans (FX spy drama...so damn good).

I shouldn't complain. Things are getting a lot better lately. A big problem was the baby was keeping me up most of the night and I'd spend the day a depressed zombie. She's started sleeping though most of the night recently and that's made a huge difference in my overall mood and I'm excited to get back in the studio more.

But... even when I had a lot more time, the idea of spending most of it setting up modular synth patches doesn't appeal to me, especially because once they're done you can't really go back to it with any reasonable ease. So, I've made a pact: NEVER GO FULL MODULAR. That's one of the reason I thought the semi-modular XS was a good idea. I could add to it a bit here and there but convince myself I didn't really have a modular.

But the Pulse 2... well it's small, tons of features for the money and I can turn it on dial up a preset I made at a previous time and be playing in moments. When you're stealing studio time a half an hour here and there that's important to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think about modular from time to time. It seems like both a dream... and a nightmare. I learned synthesis on one at IAR in NYC way back in the 80s. It was a super good way to learn wut da wut.

But these days my time is somewhat limited in my studio. I get an hour here... two hours there... work, house stuff and baby/familiy time take a big chunk of my life. I'm not complaining but these days after dinner I'm often spent and just want to watch The Americans (FX spy drama...so damn good).

I shouldn't complain. Things are getting a lot better lately. A big problem was the baby was keeping me up most of the night and I'd spend the day a depressed zombie. She's started sleeping though most of the night recently and that's made a huge difference in my overall mood and I'm excited to get back in the studio more.

But... even when I had a lot more time, the idea of spending most of it setting up modular synth patches doesn't appeal to me, especially because once they're done you can't really go back to it with any reasonable ease. So, I've made a pact: NEVER GO FULL MODULAR. That's one of the reason I thought the semi-modular XS was a good idea. I could add to it a bit here and there but convince myself I didn't really have a modular.

But the Pulse 2... well it's small, tons of features for the money and I can turn it on dial up a preset I made at a previous time and be playing in moments. When you're stealing studio time a half an hour here and there that's important to me.
That's pretty much the story of my life in the last few years. I have a 4 year old boy and a 2.5 year old girl - and a new baby due in August. I thought sleepless nights were a thing of the past - when we found out we're pregnant again...
You get into this zombie state where you sleep when you get the chance (if you can sleep "on command"), and eat leftovers. We degrade into a dog state

And as i said - music isn't the thing i make a living of. It's my hobby. My therapy. It's just so happens that now i finally have (sort of) enough money to buy analog synth i only dreamed of having when i was 16 and was a fan of ELP.
Anyway, at least for now - until the baby is born, i have a few months in which i know i have my "music time" after everybody's gone to sleep.

And of course another way is to get your kid "involved":

Old 19th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Fiend ➑️
Why? The feedback on the Mopho x4 and Tetra is no big deal. It can thicken things up a little. But it's certainly not worth sacrificing the extra 4 voices and the more complete set of knobs on the Prophet.
It's subjective of course, but I find the feedback to be extremely important on the Mx4 (and Tetra); I use it on 99% of my patches to varying degrees. There's also the interplay with the amp envelope, and it can be set as a mod destination--so it's a fairly deep feature that can have a big effect.

Is it worth the 4 voice and knobbiness tradeoff? I got the feeling from the OP that maybe it would be. And it would contribute a huge degree towards the goal to consolidate the synths while still keeping the sound palette fully intact.

I do agree about the subs not being all that useful which is why I didn't mention them.
πŸ“ Reply