Quantcast
This is what a Yamaha TG33 sounds like! (mp3 & free patches!) - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
This is what a Yamaha TG33 sounds like! (mp3 & free patches!)
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I,m really excited to play this synth now.
Does some pretty cool sounding stuff.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was playing some patches yesterday whilst my girlfriend played with the joystick (ooer)

Sounded great
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Crap! Now I'm lusting for a TG 33.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Time for Tg-33 prices to inflate
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Mine looks so nice next to the RY30, like they were meant for one another!
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you very much Xanderbeanz your patches and demo really suit my taste and since I'm the happy owner of a TG33 the sysex is really a super gift.
Old 26th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love this demo... and thanks for the patch sysex!

Just on the cusp of getting a TG-33 and your demo has definitely put me over into the 'get' category.

These are worth getting just for the joystick to control a Wavestation SR. A vector synth without a joystick kind of misses the point doesn't it? :-)

It would be cool to be able to reprogram or add to the TG-33's waveforms via the cardslot but unlike the TG-55, SY/TG-77, and SY-99 the ROM cards for the SY22/35 and TG-33 don't add new waveforms, only patches. :-(

However, I see that a few brave souls have circuit bent the 33, essentially scrambling the AWM waveform data (and who knows what it's doing to the FM side of things).
Old 17th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01rsa ➑️
Thank you very much Xanderbeanz your patches and demo really suit my taste and since I'm the happy owner of a TG33 the sysex is really a super gift.
Another one as mad as me then? XD

I'm not sure about bending my lovely TG it's mad enough already
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➑️
Mine looks so nice next to the RY30, like they were meant for one another!
Your demo of the TG33 made me buy one (again). Yes, it fits perfectly next to the RY30.

When Pet Shop Boys were touring they used a TG33 instead of their normal xombination of Emulator II strings with a Jupiter8 for the pad and strings sounds. The Exel strings are instant PSB.

A true gem that slipped through the cracks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➑️
Your demo of the TG33 made me buy one (again). Yes, it fits perfectly next to the RY30.

When Pet Shop Boys were touring they used a TG33 instead of their normal xombination of Emulator II strings with a Jupiter8 for the pad and strings sounds. The Exel strings are instant PSB.

A true gem that slipped through the cracks.
Yeah it's a bit of a unique classic, i just ordered a TG55 for very little money. It has many of the same waveforms as the 33, and also the same effects (that naive reverb and crazy distortion).

It has no FM and no joystick, which is likely why it's so maligned on the internet, a basic ROMpler, but I'm suspecting that with it's pretty deep architecture and the skills I've already built up in this range, that it'll be capable of some really interesting sounds. It also aliases really badly when samples are pitched 6 octaves down, which i actually like.

So maybe everyone will be getting TG55 GAS soon, and they're as cheap as chips!

Sector 101 on the Yamaha Forums are even working on a custom Waveform card, which will let you import whatever samples you'd like into the 55 engine, I reckon that'd be pretty exciting. Imagine what you could do with say, a Juno PWM wave or a nice meaty saw. All sorts of custom spectral or metallic loops could be added for great pad action, too.

Yay for cheap synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty ➑️
Time for Tg-33 prices to inflate
I really can't see vintage digital ever going for very much money, as the public sees it as a linear set of 0's and 1's that a computer can replicate, rather than a discrete, endless, alive, magical "thing" that computers can't quite do, being analogue.
Old 22nd September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the tg33 is a beautiful sounding synth. looks great too. highly recommended if youre looking for a low budget synth and like to program.
mini
Old 22nd September 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
hm. certain synths are ridiculously expensive already. notoriously, yamaha vsses go for more than proper akai samplers. it's a load of bollocks.
Old 23rd September 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by national theatre ➑️
hm. certain synths are ridiculously expensive already. notoriously, yamaha vsses go for more than proper akai samplers. it's a load of bollocks.
sure, but almost anything goes for more than samplers these days.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 165099 ➑️
sure, but almost anything goes for more than samplers these days.
but it's still crazy that a toy sampler goes for more than a proper sampler! another example is that the most expensive 4 operator synth is the dx100.
in the case of toy synths i reckon it's circuit benders driving the prices up, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

tg33s go for around 130 eur these days (165 dollars), which as far as synths go is cheap, but it's already a bit too much for a synth you can't even edit from the front panel. a dx7 isn't much more expensive. there are rack synths with more features than the tg going for like 50 euros less. but to be fair, tg33's are kinda rare in europe.

i got a sy22 for what would be considered a bargain price, but that still was 1 eur more expensive than what I paid for my dx21, and the sy22 has a slight defect in function which i'll have to fix, whereas the dx21 was just missing two slider caps.

to be honest there's something i don't like about demos. i don't blame them for driving prices up (not directly anyway), my point is rather that using a single synth to make music and nice patches is awesome, but it's a bit lame to make it as if the point was to showcase the synth in question and not to make music (or to explore technology). plus often these demos have no value other than GAS and bragging as they don't teach you how to use the synth nor explain their findings about synthesis in any way.
i hope this doesn't sound too harsh...

take for example jexus' demos. they're like the pinnacle of demos. but if the title didn't include the name of the synth and all shots containing the synth in question and jexus' hands were removed, they would be twice as good.

for example I think Vangelis' Beaubourg is a "good" demo. yeah, CS80 only, but the point is Beaubourg, not selling CS80's (it isn't even mentioned on the sleeve), and it's awesome to listen to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by national theatre ➑️
but it's still crazy that a toy sampler goes for more than a proper sampler! another example is that the most expensive 4 operator synth is the dx100.
in the case of toy synths i reckon it's circuit benders driving the prices up, but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous....
this really shouldn't be that surprising. what you're seeing is an economic expression of hardware vs. software and samplers happen to be the one thing which has been hit hardest. so yes, there is more value in a "toy" like a Casio SK-1 than there is in a "proper" sampler like most Akai models.

this is generally true of most things digital. thus why a DX7, although far more powerful, sells for little more than a DX100. the DX7 is very common and has excellent software counterparts which greatly improve upon the user experience. while the DX100's simplicity and size actually add to its value.

and I totally disagree with your view of people doing demos. I cannot see anything inherently wrong with it and I wonder if you also take issue with a show like Top Gear which essentially does the same with automobiles ...and in a way, isn't Jexus like The Stig of the synth world? "Some say that his first language is binary"... actually though, I do have a problem with your suggestion and feel that a song (work of art) should be more than just a demo of the gear used. sure that's great that Vangelis has done some CS-80 solo work, but I'm certain that Vangelis did not write a piece of music to showcase the capabilities of a synth and I don't want to listen to a work made with that purpose. just as I have no patience for virtuosic masturbatory musicianship, I have no desire to listen to a piece showing off gear ...that is what a demo is for.
Old 23rd September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The point of my demos have always been to show people the uncharted, unique world of cheap digital tat. And also so some of my friends can hear what sounds I've been making.
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
oh snap. lurrrve the sound at 1:51.

TG-33 was my first synth. I sold it when moving because I didn't like menu diving. Wish I had kept it now, but was broke student at the time and needed the hundred bucks.
Old 12th November 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Wow, very pro!!! It sounds pretty warm, then FM, then granular, then sound effects crazy, buzzy..... I want.....
Old 13th November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE]The late 80s early 90s has become the " synth void "[QUOTE]

yes, it seems so, right now - i have a k1r, 2 k1ms, a jv1080, a 01r/w, a tg55, a tx81z, a sc55, a d10, a tg100, an alesis nanosynth, proteus 1, some old drum machines, rack fx - and except for the jv1080 and 01r/w it was all pretty damn cheap

i don't see as much of this stuff as i did a year or two ago when i got wild and got all this stuff - i think people are starting to realize that these are worthy things to have

this is pretty cool stuff xanderbeanz - wish i had a tg33 ... i do have a pss-380 and a pss-480, though - really dirt cheap and worth having

wonder what i'm going to do with all this stuff ...
Old 13th November 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
oh, yeah, i have an sk1 and sk5, too - just can't resist cheap "toys"
Old 4th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are any of the cards for the tg33 good to get? I am under the impression that they can't add any transwaves, just patches. I can't figure out if any of the cards for a tg33 would be good to have nowadays. Any input on that?
Old 5th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pounce ➑️
Are any of the cards for the tg33 good to get? I am under the impression that they can't add any transwaves, just patches. I can't figure out if any of the cards for a tg33 would be good to have nowadays. Any input on that?
Well judging on how terrible most of the presets sound I doubt it
I just picked up a sy-35 with a ram card to go with my TG-33

Going to hook them up together for some vector double plus goodness.
Old 15th May 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Nice work! Makes me wish I didn't sell mine.
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Having a big problem loading this into my TG33, getting the message "Illegal Data" after transferring the first patch. Tried SendSX, MidiOX and Sysex Libriarian. Any ideas?
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
just tried it and it worked fine, maybe slow down the transmit speed?
Old 3rd April 2016
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I totally forgot about my TG33. About 4 plus years ago I went to buy a fishing rod/reel from some guy (saw his ad on craigslist.)

Anyways I'm talking to him about fishing..music...and he says " Oh yea...I have this yamaha thingy i bought went it came out new.Want to see it?"

I figured it would be a Yamaha home keyboard. It even had a data cartridge for it.

He goes on to say he was in a band but this synth wasn't for him (they were a cover band of 70's music, Foghat, Molly Hatchet and stuff like that. Shudders.) He says " How about $20 for it?" I couldn't rip the velcro wallet open fast enough.
Old 3rd April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGried ➑️
just tried it and it worked fine, maybe slow down the transmit speed?
Hey Jay, yeah unfortunatly i tried that as well. It just transfers one patch out of the whole, then i get "illegal data" msg. But thanks for the tip.

TG33 MIDI buffer full - illegal data - Yamaha Forums UK
These guys seem to have a similar problem, which was solved by increasing the buffer size to larger than 592 bytes, however how this is done on the TG33 is a mystery
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvingain ➑️
Hey Jay, yeah unfortunatly i tried that as well. It just transfers one patch out of the whole, then i get "illegal data" msg. But thanks for the tip.

TG33 MIDI buffer full - illegal data - Yamaha Forums UK
These guys seem to have a similar problem, which was solved by increasing the buffer size to larger than 592 bytes, however how this is done on the TG33 is a mystery
hmm the more I think about this I'm pretty sure I had this problem when I first got it couple years ago dont remember how I solved it though....,
just for the hell of it this is how my utility settings look.
RCh =1
VCh =1
Prog Change =on
Midi bulk on Device#=all
Midi bulk trans=all

heres a youtube video and the link to a butt load of patches see if you can load any of these.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHpQxuzBdqw

Last edited by JayGried; 3rd April 2016 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: added
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGried ➑️
hmm the more I think about this I'm pretty sure I had this problem when I first got it couple years ago dont remember how I solved it though....,
just for the hell of it this is how my utility settings look.
RCh =1
VCh =1
Prog Change =on
Midi bulk on Device#=all
Midi bulk trans=all

heres a youtube video and the link to a butt load of patches see if you can load any of these.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHpQxuzBdqw
Thanks a lot! Gonna try it out when i get back to the studio tomorrow. All my settings are the same except for my midi bulk trans, which is set to 64 patches. Also gonna try out the links. Appreciate the help!
πŸ“ Reply