Quantcast
Roland Handsonic HPD-15 vs HPD-20 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland Handsonic HPD-15 vs HPD-20
Old 22nd November 2016

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Wavedrum is a completely different concept - both would be nice. Or two or more Wavedrums ...

If you want samples and mid and sequencing, get the Roland. If you want a difficult but rewarding instrument that is very organic and looks greats ... the Wavedrum has a lot to offer. It's annoying and limited enough to keep the hordes away - but there is gold in there if you are prepared to dig.
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I haven't had a lot to do with the Wavedrum - I might go check it out. Although it is unlikely I'll be making a further purchase - as I'm very happy with the HPD-20
Old 19th May 2017
Here for the gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thoughts on the HPD-15 vs HPD-20

I've been setting up my HPD-15 today as a module with my Cirklon, they play so well together. It got me thinking about the HPD-20 and the differences. Here is my comparison:
HPD-15 = 240kits (160 Preset, 80 User). HPD-20 = 200kits (100 Preset, 100 user)
HPD-15 = 5 part Multi-Timbral (Pad, Perc1, Perc 2, Melody1, Melody2). HPD-20 = 1 Part (Pad)
HPD-15 = 10inch pad in 15 sections + D-Beam + 2xRibbon Controllers + 2xExternal Triggers and Pedal (D-Deam and Ribbon can each do different sounds up and down). HPD-20 = 10inch pad in 13 sections + D-Beam + 2xExternal Triggers and Pedal.
HPD-15 = Din MIDI In and Out. HPD-20 = Din MIDI In and Out + USB Type B for both Audio & MIDI to PC + USB Type A for instrument memory and loading user instruments.
HPD-15 = 600 instrument. HPD-20 = 850 instruments... and the list goes on

Well what does it all mean? They are both excellent sounding instruments. The ribbon controllers on the 15 can be useful for some patches, but are mostly useless IMHO.

In my thinking the most important differences are the multi-timbrality of the 15 and the USB capability of the 20. On the 15 you can have 3 kits running at the same time, 2 sequenced and one to play live, or just 3 sequenced. The melodic parts of the 15 are a bonus too as are the Realtime Modify knobs. If you like/need these features then the 15 is the way to go. If alternatively you just want a live percussion pad and USB connectivity is important to you, then the 20 or even the 10 may be the way to go. For me I value sequencing multiple kits at the same time, so it's a 15 for me. I use an Edirol MIDI -> USB interface to connect without issue to my PC. I hope this is helpful for someone.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecnoboy ➡️
ribbon controllers on the 15 can be useful for some patches, but are mostly useless IMHO.
Just thought I'd add to this thread I was at the Jean Michel Jarre concert last week and he used a head mounted camera to show the instruments he was playing...he was definitely playing an HPD-15, including using the ribbon controllers.
Old 19th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've been setting up my HPD-15 today as a module with my Cirklon, they play so well together. It got me thinking about the HPD-20 and the differences. Here is my comparison:
HPD-15 = 240kits (160 Preset, 80 User). HPD-20 = 200kits (100 Preset, 100 user)
HPD-15 = 5 part Multi-Timbral (Pad, Perc1, Perc 2, Melody1, Melody2). HPD-20 = 1 Part (Pad)
HPD-15 = 10inch pad in 15 sections + D-Beam + 2xRibbon Controllers + 2xExternal Triggers and Pedal (D-Deam and Ribbon can each do different sounds up and down). HPD-20 = 10inch pad in 13 sections + D-Beam + 2xExternal Triggers and Pedal.
HPD-15 = Din MIDI In and Out. HPD-20 = Din MIDI In and Out + USB Type B for both Audio & MIDI to PC + USB Type A for instrument memory and loading user instruments.
HPD-15 = 600 instrument. HPD-20 = 850 instruments... and the list goes on

Well what does it all mean? They are both excellent sounding instruments. The ribbon controllers on the 15 can be useful for some patches, but are mostly useless IMHO.

In my thinking the most important differences are the multi-timbrality of the 15 and the USB capability of the 20. On the 15 you can have 3 kits running at the same time, 2 sequenced and one to play live, or just 3 sequenced. The melodic parts of the 15 are a bonus too as are the Realtime Modify knobs. If you like/need these features then the 15 is the way to go. If alternatively you just want a live percussion pad and USB connectivity is important to you, then the 20 or even the 10 may be the way to go. For me I value sequencing multiple kits at the same time, so it's a 15 for me. I use an Edirol MIDI -> USB interface to connect without issue to my PC. I hope this is helpful for someone.
The NO. 1 difference between the 15 and the 20 is you can load your own sounds into the 20
Old 21st May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefellh ➡️
Just thought I'd add to this thread I was at the Jean Michel Jarre concert last week and he used a head mounted camera to show the instruments he was playing...he was definitely playing an HPD-15, including using the ribbon controllers.
Yep, he's been using the HPD-15 live for quite a while now.
Old 18th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
For me I value sequencing multiple kits at the same time, so it's a 15 for me. I use an Edirol MIDI -> USB interface to connect without issue to my PC. I hope this is helpful for someone.
so the 20 doesn't have the 4 sequencer parts ? I guess the patches in a 15 won't load into the others. which is what I was just trying to find out. the potential of the 20 to load and save its memory to a thumb drive could be handy. though I'm not sure if the 20 even used the thumbdrive slot that way.

I've had a 15 for around 12 years and I have a fair amount of modifications as well as it being the brain for my midi kit. so adding samples could be handy, along with new sounds and supernatural. and if it can all backup to a thumbdrive it would be great. but non of that would solve for a patch compatibility mismatch.

the 15 can take sticks ok and I have some felt tip sticks too. the rubber on the 15 is tough. the setup and programming is tricky and there are loads of parameters per pad. thank god they implemented a copy pad routine. the main thing I think they should have included is velocity as a mod source. especially for decay.
📝 Reply