Quantcast
Sorry to be asking THAT question… - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sorry to be asking THAT question…
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I used Logic a long, long time ago (I think before Apple bought it, or was it always Apple?) and liked it. I also used Cubase before that. Now I use Ableton and ProTools; sometimes I use them independently of one another, sometimes together. For me, I don't have a set workflow. I have to change things up with each project to avoid feeling stale. All of the DAWs are great. They all basically do the same thing (except Ableton has the clips so you can do DJ type stuff but also can be used to vary your arrangements). You have to find what feels right to you, and not worry about the cost. Now, let me paraphrase that by saying most of us are on a budget and cost IS important. I would download the demos to all the DAWs you can (not Logic obviously) and see if they feel right. If none of them do, then try Logic. If you hate it, you're only out $200--but I doubt you'll hate it. Also, I agree with the person who mentioned Reaper as an option.

Another thing to consider is if you'll be working alone, or pairing up with someone. You might want to check to see what your friends use in case you guys want to collaborate. It always helps to have a buddy who can help you if you're stuck.

Let us know which direction you choose. Good luck!
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzi ➡️
That said, I assume Ableton handles this aspect sufficiently well — albeit a bit less than Logic by the sounds of your post?

Yes Ableton is fine for recording stuff also, just if you were doing a lot of live recording Logic is better suited. or if you have a big midi setup.

Ableton is basically the shizzle for all loop based music, house, techno, etc. So it depends on what kind of music you want to make, as a drummer coming from a traditional band approach you might find the linear (Logic) way of of working easier.

I'm a Logic guy, but the more I've come to grips with Ableton the more its replacing Logic for me (last 4-5 years). Its just so quick to get results.

Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by damondarkwalker ➡️
You might want to check to see what your friends use in case you guys want to collaborate. It always helps to have a buddy who can help you if you're stuck.
^this

They all do the same thing. Having support from your friends when you get lost/confused, is worth it's weight in gold.
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptkiddy ➡️
I've not used Logic yet - I believe that Reason has a demo and Live does too but no such luxuries for Logic X.
The "demo" is the newest Garageband ... It's basically the same program ... There's just a little more consumery skeuomorphism in GB and the featureset and workflow is more beginner-oriented ...
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's incredible the value you get from Logic for like 180 euro. I've demoed ableton and I couldnt get past the horrible gui (imo) and the whole clip/looping thing. I guess it's a matter of preference but in the past many pro's sweared about logic superior sounding engine, presumably ableton now sounds better. Although it has played a major role in promoting the boring loopingfest house and techno tracks from the recent years. Never forget
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It is going to take years to fully learn and understand any DAW, if your time is worth something I would not worry too much about the initial price. Time is going to be your main investment, and you won't want to go back and learn another DAW all over again if you make a bad choice.

I used Cubase Studio (the old mid range version) and it was good BUT had crippled features to try to make me upgrade. I tried Live at the time, and it was far too limited, maybe it is better now.

Reaper does NEARLY everything I want it to in a way I love. I think it appeals to the 'computer geek' type crowd as you can get in there and take full control of everything! Is this your style, or do you want it as simplistic as possible? That is something I don't think anyone asked yet?

For me Reaper lacks groove quantize and the ability to send feedback to midi controllers properly. I am certain it will be added soon, but its not wise to buy on promised features. If it had these it would be perfection, but for you maybe it is missing something... try the free demo and concentrate only on if it does what you need.

Power or simplicity? You can't have both, if you want power I would say Reaper, if you want simplicity I would say Reason. All the others are somewhere on this scale.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I'll answer quickly

1. That's up entirely to you. To me, as a Reason user, Reason it's totally worth the price. I use it every day. A full version of Reason is free to try (except Loading projects), so download it and see if it's for you or not.

2. To me it isn't. However, I also use Logic for some processing.

3. It just is a matter of workflow. You can mix in whatever DAW you want.
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
@Diametro / @blizt — I have to say with my design background, I'm not a great fan of Apple's skeumorphism. Ableton looks very clean to me (yet to install it though). This won't really effect my decision at the end of the day though, so long as it is not majorly detrimental.

@david1103 — These are very valid points you raise, and I completely agree. The purpose of this thread for me is to ensure I guide myself in the direction of a particular software, and (with fingers crossed) never look back.

At this moment in time, I feel simplicity outweighs power... but with everything I feel there will inevitably be an optimal balance that I will have to discover for myself.

@Aerond — Thanks for those thoughts :-) I think the price thing is probably coming through a bit hard. I'm not opposed to the spending at all, just don't want to do so in a wasteful way...I guess none of which will be overtly wasteful though!

Either way, are there any more thoughts on standard vs suite re: Live?

I feel quite settled on the information coming through on Logic vs Reason vs Ableton vs others... but any more info on the above would be very much appreciated.

M
Deleted b788fee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezzi ➡️
@Diametro / @blizt — I have to say with my design background, I'm not a great fan of Apple's skeumorphism. Ableton looks very clean to me (yet to install it though). This won't really effect my decision at the end of the day though, so long as it is not majorly detrimental.
ughts on standard vs suite re: Live?
Apple is in the process of phasing it out, I believe (or at least certain aspects of it ... For instance, I don't really mind controls being skeuomorphic as long as it aids function) Logic Pro X isn't as bad as GB ... but there are still hardwood studio floors, etc ... And the drummers ... But sometimes i think skeuomorphism works ...
📝 Reply