Quantcast
Anyone own the Prophet 08 and the Mono Evolver? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone own the Prophet 08 and the Mono Evolver?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Anyone own the Prophet 08 and the Mono Evolver?

Outside the obvious (Prophet 08 is poly & all analog, Evolver has 2 analog, and 2 digital oscillators), what are some other things that differentiate the two? Soundwise how do they differ?

I already own a P08 and I've gone through a little love/hate relationship with it but I think I'm starting to understand it's voicing structure and strengths better now; and we're sleeping in the same bed now.

I'd just like some input from those who own both if it's worth having a mono evolver in addition to the P08. I've heard it can do some crazy sounds.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ive had 08 , tetra , mono evolover , poly evolver

ive currently got a tetra and mek

very very different . in practical use 80% of what the evolver does is totally different to the 08 . although it can do a good basic analog subtractive sound it strengths lie elsewhere
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I asked a similar question on the DSI forum a few months ago and got some helpful answers: DSI / Prophet Forum • Login
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a P08 and an MEK at the same time for a while. As stated, they're pretty different synths, so redundancy isn't an issue. The MEK is a very cool/unique synth and I really regret selling it.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone ➑️
Outside the obvious (Prophet 08 is poly & all analog, Evolver has 2 analog, and 2 digital oscillators), what are some other things that differentiate the two? Soundwise how do they differ?

I already own a P08 and I've gone through a little love/hate relationship with it but I think I'm starting to understand it's voicing structure and strengths better now; and we're sleeping in the same bed now.

I'd just like some input from those who own both if it's worth having a mono evolver in addition to the P08. I've heard it can do some crazy sounds.
Hey, MEK owner here. Love it. Have spent a fair amount of time playing around with a P08 at the store. Honestly, the similarities far outweigh the differences. I think a P08 and MEK are fine together. Personally, I would ditch them all for a PolyEvolver. Its the perfect common ground, as long as your okay with only four voices. Having a PolyEvolver an Prophet08 seems a bit like a luxury as the Evolver covers so much Prophet ground. The biggest difference noticable immediately is the speed of the envelooes. P08, fast....Evolver, slow. But you can set the envelopes on the Evolver to exponential or linear, but even then, the P08 is a lot faster.

I think DCO to DCO they sound alike. They have the same oscillators, no doubt. A nice blog article hear covers exactly what you are asking: Sacred Synthesis: Prophet '08 Versus Poly Evolver Keyboard
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D ➑️
Hey, MEK owner here. Love it. Have spent a fair amount of time playing around with a P08 at the store. Honestly, the similarities far outweigh the differences. I think a P08 and MEK are fine together. Personally, I would ditch them all for a PolyEvolver. Its the perfect common ground, as long as your okay with only four voices. Having a PolyEvolver an Prophet08 seems a bit like a luxury as the Evolver covers so much Prophet ground. The biggest difference noticable immediately is the speed of the envelooes. P08, fast....Evolver, slow. But you can set the envelopes on the Evolver to exponential or linear, but even then, the P08 is a lot faster.

I think DCO to DCO they sound alike. They have the same oscillators, no doubt. A nice blog article hear covers exactly what you are asking: Sacred Synthesis: Prophet '08 Versus Poly Evolver Keyboard
So you're saying the prophet and evolver are more alike than different? Hmm not sure if i would need it then.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone ➑️
So you're saying the prophet and evolver are more alike than different? Hmm not sure if i would need it then.
I "think" the point is that the Evolver can do pretty much everything that the Prophet can do. So in that sense the two synths are very similar. However, the Evolver can also create sounds that are impossible to make on the Prophet. So in that sense the two synths are different. Confused? ;-)

However, having owned both a Prophet 08 rack and a Poly Evolver Rack, I would say that the analog sounds on the Prophet are a tad smoother than on the Evolver. Not night and day better, just a little sweeter.

I eventually sold my Poly Evolver Rack because of the lack of hands-on control. Moreover, whenever I used the supposedly cool digital features (digital waveforms, distortion, etc.,) everything seemed to have this slightly harsh vibe that I found unappealing. But then I ended up getting a used Evolver desktop for $375 just for those mono sequencer-type sounds that are its forte.

Anyway, long story short, I think it makes sense to add a relatively inexpensive Evolver desktop to a Prophet '08 setup for a bit more variety. But I wouldn't go all the way and get a Poly Evolver Rack or Poly Evolver Keyboard (or even a Mono Evolver Keyboard) unless you really, really love the digital/grungy/distorted sounds on the Evolver series.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ok, thanks. I think I got a better picture now. I was going to look at the Sound Tower editor if I did get the Evolver, but right now Im leaning towards not getting it.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, I agree with Gadget.....

The Evolver is basically a one voice Prophet08 with the added digital oscillators. The sequencer is the same as are the oscillators and filters.

The included Digital waveforms of course make for some pretty interesting synthesis options. It does great leads and sound fx. The Evolver can sound harsh if you want it to. There is aliasing with the digiwaves, of course.

Its up to you. I wouldn't feel strange about having both. Ones a poly, and ones a mono. I'm never selling my MEK. Too many people like cryophonic upset they did. It's just a cool synth. Best of luck with your search.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
There is a difference on the analog side of both: The Evolver has each oscillator hardwired to the left and right outputs, which also includes the signal path through the low-pass filter. Although it seems like you have only one filter when you look at the front panel, there is really a stereo filter. Or to quote from the manual:

"The analog (real analog!) low-pass filter is actually two different filters; one for the Left channel and one for the Right channel. This allows true stereo processing of external audio signals run through Evolver. However, for simplicity and consistency the two filters are normally driven together in tandem, so they normally respond the same way.
Exceptions are when using the SPLIT parameter, and when using the separate filter cutoff and resonance modulation destinations, which allow the two filters to be modulated independently. Note that though they are normally controlled together, since they are analog there will always be some subtle differences between the two filters, which gives the Evolver a more natural sound."

Although it is stated that the filters should respond the same way, the subtle differences between the left and right channels result in making the analog side sounding a bit fatter and more alive when compared to the Prophet '08. If I had to choose on which of both synths I should program 'classic' analog lead sounds, I would always choose the MEK.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptones ➑️
There is a difference on the analog side of both: The Evolver has each oscillator hardwired to the left and right outputs, which also includes the signal path through the low-pass filter. Although it seems like you have only one filter when you look at the front panel, there is really a stereo filter. Or to quote from the manual:

"The analog (real analog!) low-pass filter is actually two different filters; one for the Left channel and one for the Right channel. This allows true stereo processing of external audio signals run through Evolver. However, for simplicity and consistency the two filters are normally driven together in tandem, so they normally respond the same way.
Exceptions are when using the SPLIT parameter, and when using the separate filter cutoff and resonance modulation destinations, which allow the two filters to be modulated independently. Note that though they are normally controlled together, since they are analog there will always be some subtle differences between the two filters, which gives the Evolver a more natural sound."

Although it is stated that the filters should respond the same way, the subtle differences between the left and right channels result in making the analog side sounding a bit fatter and more alive when compared to the Prophet '08. If I had to choose on which of both synths I should program 'classic' analog lead sounds, I would always choose the MEK.
Good point and taken for granted all the time. MEK can sound huge with one voice. The variable widening is a great feature. I guess I'm just used to it always being there and forget other instruments don't have this.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptones ➑️
Exceptions are when using the SPLIT parameter, and when using the separate filter cutoff and resonance modulation destinations, which allow the two filters to be modulated independently.
It's just a bummer that you can't assign which oscillator goes through which filter and control them independently. This would allow you to send the digital oscillators, for instance, through one of the filters which could be controlled by Envelope 3, and the analog oscillators through the other filter which is controlled via the standard filter envelope (Envelope 1). You can sort of do this with clever programming of the split and output pan parameters. But it's not truly independent control.

Having said that, having separate left and right filters definitely widens the stereo image and can give you a bigger sound than on the Prophet and Tetra.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sacred Synthesis = Analog Organist on the DSI thread I linked to earlier. He really sold me on the idea of it, and I've been looking for a used Evolver desktop. At one point I was seeing them close to $300 on eBay, but I've had my eyes out since November and they've been going closer to $400.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
SRT
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This linked blog contains another article which discusses Evolver pan emulation on the Prophet 08 which some may find useful...

I wish they had kept a similar stereo oscillator/filter scheme for the Prophet 08. The Virus split filter is awesome for similar reasons.
πŸ“ Reply