Quantcast
N00b advice on mpc vs drum machine vs keyboards - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
N00b advice on mpc vs drum machine vs keyboards
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
N00b advice on mpc vs drum machine vs keyboards

Okay so I am completely new to the electronic music production. I've been scouring the net but all it's given me is a headache! Lol

So basically I'm just asking for advice on what I should be leaning towards.

I'm basically looking to learn more on the side of playing and preforming. After seeing such great performances by araab Muzik I'm looking for a piece of equipment that can do exactly that.

I'd prefer it to be portable to an extent and perhaps the ability to play it without the need of a laptop. A few of the ones I've seen online that might be what I'm looking for is the mpc, mpk49 or beat thang. But as I said I'm a novice so id love advice on what I should be leaning towards and the differences the equipment can do for me.

Thanks in advance.
Apologies for the poor structure of this thread, I'm writing this on my phone.
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Also influenced by the styles of M4Sonic although I do know the launch pad is a midi controller and requires the use of a laptop.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years

araab Muzik uses an mpc2500. You could use a computer to edit your samples or first, and then transfer them in over usb. While I'm not really a 'head, I had friends who were. My bro used to take vinyl and make samples directly from the mixer into his mpc2000 - which you could do the same with the 2500 - you just need a turntable, a mixer, an mpc, a cartridge/needle for the turntable, some records and all the right cables, some headphones and/or powered monitors to listen while you cut and perform.

If you are using a laptop, you can get the mpc1000 for cheaper and still accomplish a lot of the same tricks. I recommend you go on youtube and look for videos showing mpc2500 and beatmaking.

If you are curious, I want to say there is no wrong way to produce. You could totally use machine and a laptop instead of an mpc if you want or if that is more in your budget. Be prepared to scour youtube as seeing how its done will help you more than reading about how its done.

Good luck.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
that was sort of impressive. dig the way dude wears his hat lol
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe a used MPC500 or 1000 to start? Since you're just starting out, they won't break the bank and it will likely be a little while before you exceed the capabilities of either machine.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I say go big or go home. Get your head around every performance of your influences as you can and then pick up an mpc2500... its portable, once you load it up you don't need a computer and while it doesn't have that vintage flair like mpc60 or 3000, it does have usb!
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Basically I just want something I can plug straight into a mixer or speaker and jam out on. Doesn't have to be mpc as I know they are quite pricey. I'm assuming it has to be a sampler to be able to due the dub step style beats that some people do as well as your standard drum beats?
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Get the mpc. With a sampler, you can put ANYTHING into it... then the only limits is storage space and the sequencer. The mpc2500 has nice options in this area... I'm telling you there is a reason why A.M. uses it. You can get a good deal on one on ebay... just spend some time on youtube watching videos about it to make sure you like how it works. If you want dubstep sounds, you can go to many different sites and download samples or use a computer and Massive to make your own.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i would recommend some type of hybrid set-up over the 2500 unless you're totally opposed to using a computer. computers are a good thing these days IMO.

such as: maschine, ableton+apc

i've learned over the years just because you dig an artist doesn't mean you need their gear, everyone's mind works different so you could very well not work well with what they do and these days computers are easier IMO.

the most notorious example of this liking the artist and getting the gear is people getting the sp-303 because they want to sound like madlib.
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
MPC 2500, 1000 or 2000XL. They're stand alone like you want, so you can just hook them up and jam away. If you don't want to go digging in the crates then just download some sounds and load em up.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
One thing that rarely gets asked, but is most relevant: are you a pianist? As in... If you're a player, then you're idea of performing is mostly to play notes on keys. Pattern based modalities such as Maschine or an MPC or Push or a Launchpad may feel restraining or require a new learning curve which may or may not frustrate!
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Araab Muzik is a finger drummer... OP, it's cool you got inspired by the performance you saw but do realise what he does requires an insane amount of skill.. it's very hard to do what he does with whatever MPC.. dude started playing drums at age 3.. he's basically a percussion prodigy. I'd say 98% MPC users don't even use the MPC live that way, it's meant to be used as a pad controller+sampler+sequencer, not really a live drum tool.. my advice would be to start out by finding out if you're any good at live rhythmic finger drumming.. maybe start by going to a music store and check out hand percussion instruments.. i'm saying this because you might end up with an expensive paper weight if you follow the gearslut advice and go for the top MPC.. one last thing, AraabMuzik isn't electronic music.. he's an instrumental hip-hop performer that sometimes goes out of his routine with some dubstep drops
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Brilliant thanks for all the replies!
My next question would be if I wasn't completely opposed to using a computer as well what you you recommend?
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Not to bring you down, but the equipment is a very minor part of Araab's abilities, he is an actual drummer and understands rhythm and has a very high level of skill. Apart from that if you'll notice he has everything planned out in his performances(obviously), this isn't something that is achieved because of this or that type of equipment but rather from hours and hours in the studio.

It's doesn't really matter what you'll get(I'm a big fan of Maschine, but in your case id suggest the MPC2500 NOT the 5000) learn it inside out, you need to know every ability that the device has and how to work and it quick, all these little things add up to something that gives you that top performance.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Depends on what's most important to you: if you just want to do A: live finger-drumming or B: complete music production/writing with the ability to also go live.

If it's A, then grab a MPC 2500 or a black MPC 1000. Keep in mind that earlier MPC 1000s (the blue versions and small amount of early black ones) had defect in the pads. Plus the pads are smaller. The larger MPCs like 4000/5000 are not portable at all. The older MPCs such as the 2000/XLs don't integrate with modern tech as well so you'll probably waste a bunch of time just getting the sounds in there and making kits. If you're just dabbling then a MPC500 would probably do you fine.

If it's B, then get Maschine. You'll have a great library of drum sounds to start with and honestly it's about as portable as a hardware MPC. You'll need a decent laptop though.

araabMuzik is OK, but Jeremy Ellis is really the master/Don Dada of the whole finger-drumming thing. Jeremy Ellis performs on MASCHINE MIKRO - YouTube

He has a whole video course that can get you up to that araab level if you put in the practice time. Maschine Course: Maschine Virtuosity by Jeremy Ellis : AskVideo Well worth 20 bucks.

At one point in the course (about half way through I think) he makes a comment about some people basing their whole stage show/career off of the same couple of drum techniques/rolls he just showed. You know who he was probably talking about LOL.
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wow Jeremy Ellis is brilliant heard of him but that vid was dope!
Yeah so I'm mainly just interested in live finger drumming or just live performing. But I'm not opposed to using a laptop of that is cheaper/better? So far it seems like I should buy a mpc but I think everyone is suggesting that as it is stand alone? I don't mind using hardware that isn't.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
you're getting mpc suggestions because it's what you named in your thread title.. but actually akai have stopped producing standalone mpc's.. if you want new they're all laptop dependant.. i'd recommend maschine if you're interested in electronic music (mpc library is more hip-hop centric)..
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koie ➑️
Wow Jeremy Ellis is brilliant heard of him but that vid was dope!
Yeah so I'm mainly just interested in live finger drumming or just live performing. But I'm not opposed to using a laptop of that is cheaper/better? So far it seems like I should buy a mpc but I think everyone is suggesting that as it is stand alone? I don't mind using hardware that isn't.
Just grab Maschine then. A newer MPC is going to be a real investment. You can usually find Maschine pretty cheap. Used Mikros go for dirt, dirt cheap...I see them go for around $100-200 all the time. Just make sure you get the owner to release the software serial number with Native Instruments. NI upgraded the pads starting with the Mk1 Mikros on up, so the issues some of the other posters were talking about only effect the Mk1 full Maschine.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ MPC elements costs $149 new... but I agree Maschine is probably the way to go, especially if you have EDM in mind..
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've also seen the launchpad used a bit on YouTube. What's the difference between that and a maschine?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Launchpad is just a pad controller.
Maschine is a controller and host.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
launchpad is a controller for launching ableton live clips but some finger drummers use it cuz it has so many pads.. for starters a 4X4 array will be easier/less confusing. also Maschine has a built-in sequencer, FX, sampler & sound library.. it's a full music production package..
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not to mention the Launchpad isn't velocity sensitive. So it's not going to be as useful in a live finger-drumming context.

If only Novation would have made the buttons in the new ones touch sensitive, they would have the ultimate controller.

It's so flexible in every other way: Nativekontrol's LPC and Push emulation, Monome emulation and MLrV, the J74 isometric keyboard scripts, plus all the useful Traktor mappings swayed me away from Serato. I find myself often using the Launchpad for everything except the normal ableton use that promoted. It's like the swiss army knife of midi controllers.

I've had the old Launchpad for years and just bought a Launchpad mini last weekend. It's my new favorite controller. Way smaller and thinner, but feels more solid and better designed. The case doesn't feel as hollow as the original. The underside is completely rubber vs the four pad on the original. The buttons lights on the Mini not only look better, but they are twice as bright. In high power mode it's almost too bright...like blinding bright. Probably look good on stage though.

The only downside I can see it that instead of a full USB port, it has a small one like a cell phone. Not sure how robust that's will be. Only time will tell.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Analog Rytm | Elektron
πŸ“ Reply