Quantcast
Any good VST drum-machines/samplers/sequencers? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any good VST drum-machines/samplers/sequencers?
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Any good VST drum-machines/samplers/sequencers?

Hi guys!

Could you guys recommend any good VST-drum-machines/samplers/sequencers?

I suppose I should first tell my current work flow with drums, if you've better workflows please inform me. I'm doing electronic stuff at home, sort of daft-punkish, and I'm using Sonar X3.

I don't like to play my drums MPC-style, I'm more of an step sequencer guy. So, atm I'm using X3's Session Drummer, I'll load some midi-beat some in-built drumsounds I like and I'll do the core of a song pretty much with this set-up. After I've finished working guitar/bass/key parts I'll redo my drums, and this is the part I don't like. It's a major PIA to check different drum samples, mostly because it's all done with a mouse in Session Drummer. And I don't like Sonar X3s step sequencer and the way it interacts with Session Drummer / other VSTs, it's all really messy, channels are (my opinion) unlogical and it's not very practical in any way. Especially because I like to layer my drums a lot and I'm used to really straight-forward stuff like oldschool trackers.

I've been able to try out quite a few VST drum things at friends studio but I haven't found one that I really like.. I sort of like AudioRealism drum-machine but I think it lacks MIDI-output (atleast I haven't been able to get it to push out midi-info) but it can play SAMPLES and that's something I really like and what most drum-machines dont do, and I like AudioRealism Drums old-fashioned look because that's something I'm used to.

I didn't like Battery (at all..) and didn't like Kontakt either.. D16 stuff was nice but didn't have sample features.. GURU is.. old.

I know you guys know so much about these things, so could you please help me out a bit? That stepsequencer is driving me CRAZY..

Yours,

T
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FXpansion's Geist. It's awesome.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey there!

That Geist looks good!

and gotta love Shpongle!
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Highly recommend Arturia Spark. Watch this guys videos:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GCu1ZO8XX3Erlc
He covers everything. Heard good things about Geist but haven't used it.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Audio Damage Tattoo is worth a look. No samples, but you have the ability to shape the envelopes on the kick and snares. Dunno what kind of music you do but IMO it sounds very techno-y. Kinda dirty and grungy sounding claps and hats. I like it for a change once in a while as opposed to working with samples or rolling your own. The sequencer is nice, has some swing parameters. The price is decent too.
Old 3rd March 2014
Deleted 60622ed
SparkLE would be my recommendation

Spark 2 (free update) is coming out this month which includes a lot of improvements but the highlight, for me anyway, is the modular drum synth...its also expanding by another 50 kits

Best parts for me are:
-xoxox sequencer or realtime pad input
-round robin sample hosting
-step automation on just about every parameter
-simple to use, no frills, drum machine
-the only arturia software that seems to be constantly updated and supported

Not so hot:
-some of the FX are meh, it only takes two per channel, two aux, and two on the master...not a problem if using/routing in a DAW though
-earlier kits are not as good sounding as rivals like maschine
-it doesnt take the PC screen and mouse out of the equation totally
-arturias legendary support

It looks like the big Spark is out of production. I prefer it to the smaller controller as theres more knobs. Its sequencer is in the wrong place, but did I mention more knobs? More knobs.
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
FXpansion's Geist. It's awesome.
Geist roolz. IMO.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks guys for your input!
πŸ“ Reply