Quantcast
drum machine vs beat thang vs mpc - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
drum machine vs beat thang vs mpc
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
drum machine vs beat thang vs mpc

I am hardcore leaning towards buying a beat thang recently. Its a sampler a drum machine and 3000 sounds pre loaded. I find mpc dumb, lol, due to the fact you have to hunt for most sounds and that kills me looking for sounds.
Dr 880 is also a viable purchase for me but i feel screwed (400$ for 400 sounds).

Another thing im looking at with the beat thang is the keyboard pad layout. I'm a keyboardist this is great.

I cannot use software at all. Mac g 5. So even my beat thang might have issues with the usb port, who knows!

i do a unique music genra and looking for something for rap, rock and electronica as well.

Sorry for choppy sentence structure, phone
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
What are you wanting to know?
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy ➑️
What are you wanting to know?
A good choice.!!!!!! Under 600$
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
...so what's the fuzz...?
sounds like you need no advice and made your decision....

beat thang is a nice but limited tool....but never had my hands on it, so what do i know....
apart from the the fact that producing your own trademark sound and make your own decisions is more iimportant than ever....
and in electronic styles that's half of the job that needs to be done....

so if you don't have any further skills in performing on top, beat thang will just keep you playing along....
mpc is the real deal....not that fancy but for sure....one of those can even replace a computer as the heart of a setup....
but if you can't handle that, i see your point....
and if the keyboard layout is helping you making better beats, well....then go ahead...
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Beat thang is almost guaranteed to go belly up and unsupported. Mpcs, even though technically no longer supported by akai have a great third party network of parts, mods, dedicated forums and there's a fantastic tech out in California (forat) that can do all sorts of stuff to your mpc. Just saying, with the beat kangz stuff, caveat emptor and all that. You can always buy some sample packs if hand picking them is too much trouble for you.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy ➑️
...so what's the fuzz...?
sounds like you need no advice and made your decision....

beat thang is a nice but limited tool....but never had my hands on it, so what do i know....
apart from the the fact that producing your own trademark sound and make your own decisions is more iimportant than ever....
and in electronic styles that's half of the job that needs to be done....

so if you don't have any further skills in performing on top, beat thang will just keep you playing along....
mpc is the real deal....not that fancy but for sure....one of those can even replace a computer as the heart of a setup....
but if you can't handle that, i see your point....
and if the keyboard layout is helping you making better beats, well....then go ahead...
How does making original electronica sounds even considered original if all you do is sample.? Samples arent original and a electronic drum synthesis seems to be what your suggesting. Original sounds and samples is a oxymoron to me
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimson red29 ➑️
How does making original electronica sounds even considered original if all you do is sample.? Samples arent original and a electronic drum synthesis seems to be what your suggesting. Original sounds and samples is a oxymoron to me
You process them or utilize nontraditional sounds as percussive elements.
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The pad is so handy compared to drag and place!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
...ok, i see....go and beat the **** out of this kang sounds....

maybe you'll get to the point someday where you realise, sampling is an instrument of it's own and that this goes way beyond picking some seconds from other recordings...

and the biggest and last talent a dj needs to have these days, is the right choice in the right moment....

keep puzzling or become a recording artist...your choice....
but that kang sounds work so fancy and instantly for their genre sticker...let's keep it simple...
but let your beat thang sample something someday and see where it takes you...it is also a real sampler, is it?....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Couldn't be more wrong.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
id have to say that the beat thang was a good idea that was promoted the wrong way unfortunately. i would love to have something that small that competes with the mpc 4000 which is totally possible today. beat kangs are the only current standalone sampler product aimed at that crowd but they sure messed it up for themselves. i wish another manufacturer would step in and make a compact sequencer/pro sampler combo full of awesomeness aimed at todays market. the mpc paradigm is not dead in peoples minds, there is clearly a market there.

battery powered? brilliant.

grillz? uh... neeeaaah not rilly.

that screen is pretty nice and the memory capacity? this is a product that would have made it without the ridiculous promotion.

we should all buy one and then someone can make a kit to get rid of the grillz, and then open source the os. make it so you can add multichannel digital out. that would be a product in demand.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree. Sadly there's no real mpc replacement on the new market besides this awful thing. Akai is basically m audio now.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
drum machine vs MPC vs Beat Thang vs LOL
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
ASR-X PRO has keyboard arranged looking pads. better price range. Ensoniq ASR-X Pro Review | Vintage Synth Explorer
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
theres another one that needs to be recreated in miniature with current connectivity and better interface.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

SparkLE done..dusted.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
out of those three DON'T get a beat thang, it's broken and will never be fixed unless there's a miracle.

if you're getting a drum machine DON'T get a sample based one, it's basically gonna be the MPC but stuck with the same sounds. analogue, or possibly VA if you go this route.

personally i'd go for the MPC as i generally use drum samples, and you can throw any drum sample in there. there's an endless amount, and layer/filter etc. to make it sound the way you want.

i don't get the part about not wanting to look for sounds, just google "free drum sounds" for example and you'll probably find 100,000 one shots. my favorite free drums ATM are TheSample.net - Free Hip Hop Samples & Production Resource
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, I haven't heard your music, but I don't understand this point of view. I've heard many songs that are extremely original that don't rely on "new" sounds and I've heard many people's music who cut down those who use ROM samples or presets and it sounds pretty damn generic and could maybe even benefit from using some professionally made sounds instead of what they came up with.

Me... I do both. When I'm in the mood I'll sit down with a synth (hardware or virtual) and make some percussion sounds. I'm just about to buy iZotope's Break Tweaker because I find it's drum synth to be fun to use. However, I'm just as apt to load up a NI Battery stock kit and perhaps tweak it a bit or change up some of the drum samples. To me, if it sounds good, it is good and if it's appropriate to the song, then use it and move on.

Don't mistake creative composition with creative sound design. Both are valid, but to me, creative sound design is always subservient to the composition. If a basic 808 sample pack does the trick, then so be it. If a giant modular sequenced out by your DAW puts the cherry on the sundae, then there's your answer, but if you're the type that wants to quickly find the sounds that work and move on to focusing on the composition, there's really nothing wrong with preloaded samples if you like them.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
Well, I haven't heard your music, but I don't understand this point of view. I've heard many songs that are extremely original that don't rely on "new" sounds and I've heard many people's music who cut down those who use ROM samples or presets and it sounds pretty damn generic and could maybe even benefit from using some professionally made sounds instead of what they came up with.

Me... I do both. When I'm in the mood I'll sit down with a synth (hardware or virtual) and make some percussion sounds. I'm just about to buy iZotope's Break Tweaker because I find it's drum synth to be fun to use. However, I'm just as apt to load up a NI Battery stock kit and perhaps tweak it a bit or change up some of the drum samples. To me, if it sounds good, it is good and if it's appropriate to the song, then use it and move on.

Don't mistake creative composition with creative sound design. Both are valid, but to me, creative sound design is always subservient to the composition. If a basic 808 sample pack does the trick, then so be it. If a giant modular sequenced out by your DAW puts the cherry on the sundae, then there's your answer, but if you're the type that wants to quickly find the sounds that work and move on to focusing on the composition, there's really nothing wrong with preloaded samples if you like them.

Thanks for everyones reply and I'm lost still what to choose. Instead of being ridiculed, i like to point out that the beat thang really has alot of ugly responses on here.
Still trying to get something decent, mpc500? Wasting money on sounds seems counter productive to me and thr pre loaded library had me all happy with the beat thang.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^the beat thang is broken right out the box. mpc500 is decent i'd get the 1000 though, and like i said google "free drum kits" and you'll probably get over 100,000 sounds free you can throw in the mpc.

the used 1000 with jjos should be the same price as the beat thang, except work. don't get a blue mpc1000 though they manufactured those poorly.
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_brain ➑️
theres another one that needs to be recreated in miniature with current connectivity and better interface.
In a weird way,... that's what a Zoom Sampletrak is... but really dumbed down.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
In a weird way,... that's what a Zoom Sampletrak is... but really dumbed down.
that's a pretty nice machine if you can get it from like 70-120. which tends to be what they go for.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Keep saving and go Elektron Analog RYTM.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa ego ➑️
^the beat thang is broken right out the box
why is that again?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
from everything i've read it's insanely buggy and prone to crashing, which is why i haven't bought one, and the company that makes it doesn't have their **** together and probably won't be around much longer.
Old 3rd March 2014
Deleted 60622ed
Beat thangs workflow is reviewed as being very convoluted...never tried it myself. Also its software and hardware dont sync with each other as far as Ive read too..

When it came out it was three times more expensive than it is now...thats got to say someting about it popularity and life expectancy...i just dont think it would be a wise investment.

SparkLE, Maschine Mk2, and MPC Studio all come in at around the same price zone and offer plenty of flexability and sounds...

Mpc 1000 is a classic...there are a ton of free sounds out there, and even more to purchase

These would be my choices.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Beat thing is still a thang?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
me ave a maxed out mpc1k wiv jjosxl for sale... great machine but me got a mpc4k now init
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for everyones reply and I'm lost still what to choose. Instead of being ridiculed, i like to point out that the beat thang really has alot of ugly responses on here.
Still trying to get something decent, mpc500? Wasting money on sounds seems counter productive to me and thr pre loaded library had me all happy with the beat thang.
Hrmmmm, I wonder what the chances of this account's IP coming from Nashville, TN are. My guess is high.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
A good choice.!!!!!! Under 600$
Pick up an MPC or an S2000 and up. If you're willing to learn how to use it, you will have picked up a timeless piece of gear for $200-$300. When I say MPC I mean the models that Akai does not make anymore (current stuff if not standalone unless they're still making the 2500).

I don't know what the hell it is, but I can't let go of my MPC2000XL. I finally bought a paid version of Ableton and anytime I use it I feel like I'm cheating on my MPC. Maybe it's just because I grew up pounding away on an MPC2000... But there's just something about the MPC. It's like Moog with that whole "just something about it" except they can be had for dirt cheap! That is until they come back around.

Quality, cheap, and if you don't like it, you can flip it for at least what you bought it for.
πŸ“ Reply