Quantcast
Boom/punch from bass - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boom/punch from bass
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Boom/punch from bass

Hey guys. I'm working on a rap song right now which isn't really my thing, but it's more of a project I'm doing with some friends. I'm looking for a way to get the bass and kick to really punch. I'm talking almost dirty. How is it some of those songs get that HUGE punch from the bass that causes everything to rattle? I'm using cubase 7.5. I've got a bass part using halion sonic, and a drum beat using groove agent. I can get a nice sound, but I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to the huge bass. What kind of tweaks can I do, but more importantly what is the big thing I am missing. I'm in need of a drastic difference, and I don't know how to get it. Here's a little clip of the song. toughdee - chains (sample) - Tindeck MP3 Download
It starts out with the piano, and when the bass hits, I want it to just drop/explode/whatever you want to call it. Any ideas on how to do that?
Thanks everyone!
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Layering, transients and filtering have always worked for me.
Side-chaining too, just to ebb out other sounds that might dull-out the low-end sounds I want to show through.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
layer a sub kick (808) with a high bass heavy kick with a little bit of topend.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
waves rbass
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
limit the transient so the leveled out portion of attack is at arround 35 - 50 ms.... unbituqous punch. minimoog has that built in.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Side chain, Filter and high quality sounds. Also a very important thing is don't forget to actually make place for it in the mix. Or it'll sound muddy as hell, you want it heavy but clear and neat. Find the sweet spot on the EQ, cut some frequencies out and side chain when needed.
๐Ÿ“ Reply