Quantcast
Elektron Analog 4 or DSI Tetra? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Elektron Analog 4 or DSI Tetra?
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Elektron Analog 4 or DSI Tetra?

I'm in the market for a 4 voice analog desktop synth module for EDM production.

I've done my research and narrowed my choices down to two units:

Elektron Analog 4
DSI Tetra

The track 'Let Go' by Maths Time Joy has some great examples of the sound palette I'm interested in.

I'd really appreciate some input from this great community!

Specifically interested in your thoughts regarding:

Pros vs. cons.
DAW connectivity (Ableton 9).
Sound designing
User interface
Sequencing (internal and through DAW) (I think Analog 4 wins here)

Thank you in advance for your help. Looking forward to reading these responses!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I faced the same choice, and purchased Waldorf Pulse 2 instead) for its great sound.

And going to get Tetra this week, if the weather will be good.

Initially I thought of A4, but it seems to me now that its only advantages is CV sequencing, parameter locks, and FX processing, but not the sound engine itself.

Edit: about DAW integration - Pulse and Tetra have dedicated software editors, standalone and Max4Live-based. Don't know about A4.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The Analog 4 is twice as expensive as the Tetra. And you do get more instrument for that extra money. The sequencing obviously, and the onboard FX, the CV control and nicer UI (in my opinion). It's very much built as a self contained unit, playing it from external midi is a secondary consideration. I'd personally take it over the Tetra, but if you weren't going to be using all those extra functions, the Tetra may actually be a better fit.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A4
Then buy a Tetra for 4 more voices :D
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That was a awesome video. Very Rich in Texture and Sound..
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Agree with what was said above.

If you can afford the A4 then get it. It is a monstrous sounding peace of gear worth every penny.

Since I could not even consider the A4 I got the tetra . No regrets at all. It is a great sounding poly as well.

Going by the track you posted I would say get the A4. It is more live show oriented with lots of sample tricks and effects .

You can get that kind of sample pad feel pretty easy I would believe.
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i will also be purchasing a Analog Four soon. Hopefully i can sell off some of my other gear to get it..It's not exactly Dollar tree Prices...lol...Elektron makes you suffer through to get one...so expensive. Why can't they be $499 like all the other gear. lol..
but it sure is worth it once you have..i just got a Elektron MonoMacine about 2 weeks ago and i'm loving everything about it. seems more flexible than the A4 as far as creating full compositions but it's not Analog like the A4..but thats ok tho,..i have my Wittle MoPho to compliment the MonoMachine. These 2 will keep me busy for the 2014 comming Months...
i just posted my 1st video on the Tube using the MnM...hope you like.
just click on link beside my name on left..it says my recording
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the input!

I've decided to save the extra $$$ and go for the Elektron Analog 4!

I think I'd be getting 'more' instrument compared to the Tetra.

The user interface seems to be waaay more user friendly when it comes to sound design. I don't think I'd do well with a hardware instrument that requires a computer screen for in depth editing of patches and sequences. I'm not knocking the Tetra for that reason, it's more of a personal preference - total knob twister right here!

I've read about people complaining about the screen size of the A4, but quite honestly, after programming patches on a MicroKorg (no screen + a thousand parameters) and a Moog Slim Phatty (very tiny screen for sub menus), I don't think the screen size will act as a deterrent for me.

The Elektron sequencer looks top notch, and the included FX (reverb, delay, chorus) sound great. I think they'll become an integral piece of the puzzle regarding sound design and patch creation.

The added CV connectivity is also very appealing.

Its funny, without Elektrons OS update for the A4 (added polyphony, storage upgrade) I would have never considered it as an option!

Again I'd like to thank everyone for their input!
Please continue to add your 2 cents!
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I didn't even know they had an update that address Polyphony..hmm...
well i don't want to pull your Arm on this but don't rule out the MonoMachine. 6 Ch Sequencer plus you get an addition 6 when you sequence other gear so that 6 Tracks internal and 6 Tracks External so really a 12 Trck Midi sequencer and capable of delivering the same complex sounds as the A4. Plus it has a Drum Kit so that makes a world of a difference..i still want A4 but if i had to choose between the 2 i would say MonoMachine but some people want Pure Analog and that's ok too...it's really personal preference. You can get MnM for $750 on Ebay used but A4 is still up there close to a Grand..
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Sonicstate.com review will be out in a couple of days (maybe it's the Analog Keys?). But Nick from Sonicstate said on his podcast last week that while the sound is "lovely" both he and Mark Tinley (who was given the loaner unit before Nick) found the learning curve to be more like a cliff face.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the elektron sequencer and UI is complicated, but like other interfaces once you have a good understanding they become simple and Cary over between devices.

If you expect immediate return, have a short attention spand and unwilling to read the manual... You will not enjoy any of Elektron's machines. Your willing to devote some time, you will be rewarded.

I'm looking to add a analog four to my studio this year in one form or another. but enjoy ever moment spent with the octatrack, mono, Sid
Old 2nd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Had the Tetra, now got the A4. My thoughts:

I prefer the A4 sound. The Tetra could do some wild things and had some absolutely fantastic patches but I just find the A4 more pleasing. That's all subjective though and each to their own. Interface, A4 wins with ease. I loathed using the Tetra for sonic manipulation. I actually find the A4 alright to get my head round but I do have an OT and the time spent learning that has probably given me a heads start in terms of flow, particularly around the sequencer.

I sort of disagree kazper. I found the A4 very immediate, easily the easiest of the Ekektron boxes to use. I the basics of the UI and sequencer are easily grasped but it is certainly something that'll leave you head scratching and learning new things months after purchasing.

I keep swithering on the monomachine. I don't like many of the demos! But I bet it's a lot of fun.
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've just got an a4 and an Ot so I'm facing this elektron cliff - but I knew it going in and am prepared for the work to put in time as the benefits are so great. The a4 as a synth is just incredible - this is just one cool thing - it can scan 80 patches a second and a guy has developed a morphing program on an xy grid. Genius machines. Can't imagine that an xpander would be any easier to program?
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Have not compared the A4 and DSI side by side, but a friend of mine has a Mopho and I did spend an hour or two testing out a Prophet-08 a while back.

In my opinion there are much more useful options soundwise in the A4. The DSI synths are basically built around the old CEM 3396 chip used synths like the Matrix 1000. I find is basic sound rather boring, although DSI have what they can in terms of modulation.

The A4 on the other hand has a newly designed synth section, with dual filters (24 dB/octave ladded + multimode), more oscillator parameters, different envelope curves, ...

For me soundwise the A4 wins hands done. There's one preset with is a snare drum, increadibly realistic, yet basically only uses the noise generation plus the 'peak' setting of the multimode filter.

On the other hand the sequencer is quirky and takes a while to learn. Once you get over the peak though it's a great ride.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ricard..i saw your "My Recording/Credits and i clicked on Link..nice music you have...i downloaded Canon in D...very nice music
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0n35y ➑️
I sort of disagree kazper. I found the A4 very immediate, easily the easiest of the Ekektron boxes to use. I the basics of the UI and sequencer are easily grasped but it is certainly something that'll leave you head scratching and learning new things months after purchasing.
I had no problem with the sequencer from the start and found that part easy with the mono and then octatrack, it's the depth of the menus and diffrent modes that take plenty of time causing the cliff-o-learning.

Best,

KaZ
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Im no musician, more of a knob twiddler/programmer and i made this tune within a few hours of the A4, its basically a berlin school style 7 minute test , its all A4 , hihats, bass drum etc, and all effects too. Really looking forward to delving deeper into it!

On the down side, it made half of my gear obsolete immediately :(

https://soundcloud.com/robert-t-wilson/1977-1
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
analog 4; Id take that one!
Old 3rd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
From what I understand, the A4 cannot stack all 4 voices on one timbre. For that reason, I would choose Tetra for versatility.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I recently had asked the same question, with the difference being that I already own a Tetra. I loathed its software editor and rarely ever made music with the Tetra because the entire workflow was so tedious.

In the end I bought a used Mopho Keyboard in order to edit the Tetra. It's a completely new experience and absolutely worth it. However, if I hadn't already owned a Tetra, I would have bought an A4 instead.
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakzilla ➑️
From what I understand, the A4 cannot stack all 4 voices on one timbre. For that reason, I would choose Tetra for versatility.
It can since firmware v1.1.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thics ➑️
I'm in the market for a 4 voice analog desktop synth module for EDM production.

I've done my research and narrowed my choices down to two units:

Elektron Analog 4
DSI Tetra

The track 'Let Go' by Maths Time Joy has some great examples of the sound palette I'm interested in.

I'd really appreciate some input from this great community!

Specifically interested in your thoughts regarding:

Pros vs. cons.
DAW connectivity (Ableton 9).
Sound designing
User interface
Sequencing (internal and through DAW) (I think Analog 4 wins here)

Thank you in advance for your help. Looking forward to reading these responses!
I see you are looking for DAW connectivity to Live 9; well here is a great M4L editor for it.

I got an A4 about a month ago and i'm delighted with it.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I passed on the Tetra because onboard controls looked limited and non-friendly, and because of reports of buggy software. Also heard the multi-timbral side of it doesn't work quite so well, but perhaps that has improved.

I got a mopho X4 instead and really happy with it. I plan to get a used Tetra some time to expand it to 8 voices- also look forward to seeing how the Tetra does in multitimbral mode as that would make it very useful for sequencing externally.
IMO Mopho X4/tetra's have a specific kind of personality. Its perfect for the gritty style of bass & ambient sounds I wanted it for. The controls and layout are a big plus for sound design, and onboard sequencer is very flexible.

Could have gone with the elektron A4 as well, looks very cool with effects a big bonus. But I'm happy with what I have.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Analog 4.
I have a A4 and i had the Tetra for a while but sold it (half what i paid for it).
The DSI Tetra sounds really good but unfortunately its the only thing positive i can say about the Tetra, everything else is awful IMO.
The workflow, the multi-mode , the editor , the interface ...
Too bad cause the synth sounds good but its not fun to use at all. I really wanted to like the Tetra btw.
Better save money for a A4 really.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Is anyone using the Elektron Analog Keys?

I feel like I never hear anyone around here mention it but it is out right? It says out of stock on the website so maybe just the first batch is out?

I agree that the Elektron stuff looks complicated, but thats fine. I really like the demos of the Ananlog Keys I'm hearing, even just some of the stock sounds that come with it.

Does all of the Elektron stuff, Monomachine, Analog4, & AnalogKeys have the same basic voices (sound) just the different features.

I feel like if I was about to get one I would spring for the keys.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They just haven't gotten many Analog Keys out there in the wild yet. I'm sure that will change in the next couple months as they get caught up on production.

And their machines all sound very different IMHO. The MD and Mono are both unabashedly digital, but don't really cover the same territory. The A4/AK sound nothing like the other machines, and the AR doesn't sound like the MD to my ears (although it may have more in common with the other analog devices...I'll wait to pass judgement until it is released).
Old 4th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
A4 or Analog Keys?

Analog Keys definitely looks appealing, but I'm not entirely convinced (at this point) that I'd benefit more from having it rather than the A4.

That being said... keeping in mind the price difference... should I be considering Analog Keys?

The added track outputs seem great, but I'm not sure if that really takes too much away from the A4 (for me).

From what I've taken in, it seems that its DAW integration is solid.
Theres a dedicated external MIDI button, so at the press of that button it becomes a solid MIDI keyboard.

I've got some questions regarding the joystick though...

It seems like that joystick is a 'big deal' for the analog keys in regards to sound manipulation.

Could I achieve similar results the joystick offers (beyond pitch and mod) - with an A4, by mapping multiple functions to a MIDI controller somehow?

What are the added benefits the Analog Keys offers (minus the actual keys ), and what can the Analog Keys do that the A4 can't?

(sorry to twist this thread for my own personal interests ...but in my defence, I did start it )
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthong ➑️
Deeper bass/better sound. I'd like someone who owns both to do a demo comparing the same patches on each unit.
The claim of better bass is a contentious one, and doesn't seem to have much evidence for being true going by early reports from people who have both. As for better sound, the A4 1.1 update improved its sound quality so it's the same as the AK in that respect.
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thics ➑️
Analog Keys definitely looks appealing, but I'm not entirely convinced (at this point) that I'd benefit more from having it rather than the A4.

That being said... keeping in mind the price difference... should I be considering Analog Keys?

The added track outputs seem great, but I'm not sure if that really takes too much away from the A4 (for me).

From what I've taken in, it seems that its DAW integration is solid.
Theres a dedicated external MIDI button, so at the press of that button it becomes a solid MIDI keyboard.

I've got some questions regarding the joystick though...

It seems like that joystick is a 'big deal' for the analog keys in regards to sound manipulation.

Could I achieve similar results the joystick offers (beyond pitch and mod) - with an A4, by mapping multiple functions to a MIDI controller somehow?
Yes you could map anything you want to any controller you want.

Quote:
What are the added benefits the Analog Keys offers (minus the actual keys ), and what can the Analog Keys do that the A4 can't?
Other than keys/joystick, multiple outputs are the only real difference.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The A4 is sonically pleasing, has a slew of features, and is more performance and user friendly than the Tetra. Superior in all ways... You get what you pay for, almost always...
πŸ“ Reply