Quantcast
Dear Slutz that play live ... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dear Slutz that play live ...
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Dear Slutz that play live ...

In your experience what is the best multi timbal sound/synth module and why ?
In the market for a module that can provide a lot of breadth and to sit in with MPC/mintaur and live instrumentation (guitars/horns)
Ideally I would like to be able to midi most cc's from the MPC.
I would love to hear from people that have been using modules live.
Have a nice day !
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
have you thought about a virus or blofeld?
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I used a virusC in multimode. IIRC, it lacks fx and maybe eq per part (delay, reverb) so the ti version might be nicer to use.

Practice and exploit very well your set before live because, for example, I would sequence from a machinedrum and if I used certain arpegiator patches while fiddling too much with the knobs and jumping around in multimode I used to be able to crash the virus into a high pitched tone and it needed a power cycle to comeback. This at home is no big deal, even having to power cycle live can be 'worked around' in various ways, but I can't imagine the high pitched tone in a PA going well with the audience.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Be careful with blofeld, supposedly is buggy in multimode and sometimes blocks completely and needs power cycle. I don't know first hand, just what I've read when thinking about buying one for live use.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
....module sounds like you're looking for a rompler....or a synth?....some kind of stagekeys in a expander?

the waldorf pulse 2 is pretty small and huge sounding.....and would fill the gap to the moog perfectly...

an nord lead 2 rack is always a good choice....it's a full tweakable synth monster that can suit almost all needs....

the mininova is a real good performace synth and surely dope if triggered by a mpc....and it provides some keys on top...
Old 1st March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy ➑️

the waldorf pulse 2 is pretty small and huge sounding.....and would fill the gap to the moog perfectly....
Pulkse 2 is not multitimbral and what "gap to the Moog" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy ➑️
the mininova is a real good performace synth and surely dope if triggered by a mpc....and it provides some keys on top...
mininova is not multitimbral either.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Mininova is not multitimbral. A shame because it looks really nice for the price and has quite a lot of polyphony and keys. Ultranova also not multitimbral I think. In similar range there's the microkorg xl, 2 part multitimbral 8 voice polyphony I think. There's also similar older cheap synths that could work very well, like the micron/miniak, 8 part multitimbral, decent sound, ok polyphony, don't know about bugs. Maybe korg r3, but don't know much about it.

Nord lead 1/2 only problem is lack of fx, if needed.

Also, supernovas 1/2 could work, but haven't used them.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Anyone with experience with the micron/miniak ?
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm sure Grumphh has a Miniak and knows a thing or 2 about it.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
...touche touche....i missed that multi timbral point....

there is no gap in terms of missing anything.....the pulse is just a perfect match to the minitauros with it's belly harsch glassy overtones combined with the deep warmth of the moog and that ladder filter...

nord lead rack has at least four individual parts on 20 voices.....subtractive with some fm.....fastest envelopes....even a drum synth...and a knob for each function...
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I use a Nord Stage 2 and a Virus TI2 kb live. I'm really happy with both of them.

The first thing you want of course is something relatively tough. Those two kbs are both tough. The Nord has the advantage of being really easy to program for a live show. Its knobs are laid out in such a way that when you need to adjust a sound on the fly in the show, even something like simple like turning one part up or down in volume, it's really easy. I've never used any of the other Nord products, but from what I've seen they're all really thoughtfully laid out for live performance. And tough as nails.

The Virus, is a lot less built for live performance. It's funny, for all the knobs that the Virus has, they really aren't laid out for live tweaking IMO. And they lack the kind of visual feedback that you get on the Nord, which is kind of critical in a live situation. On the other hand, the Virus can hold a zillion patches in ROM/RAM, and when it comes to sheer variety of sound, it's really hard to beat. Add a good expression pedal and you can do a lot with it. Takes more time to prep the Virus for a live show than a Nord, IMO.

-synthoid
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Kurzweil k2500rs. Synth, sampler, and romper all in one with crazy good fx and 16 part multi timberland with multi outs.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Multi is sh*t in a live situation but if you must I'd go with a virus. All IMO of course.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerton ➑️
Multi is sh*t in a live situation but if you must I'd go with a virus. All IMO of course.
I (think) I share this opinion, if you're getting into multitimbral set ups with something like a virus in a live situation you're doing it wrong.

The OP has given very little context what they're actually trying to achieve, so I'm going to take a guess that they've not played out much so they don't really know what they need yet. The modern approaches are to use mainstage (with suitable plugins) on a mac if you need to cover a lot of sonic range and need something configurable and flexible or alternatively use something very hands on like a Nord Stage. The old school way but with a current gear would be something like a Roland Integra 7 programmed up with 'Multis' as required.

It's difficult to answer more usefully without knowing why multitimbral is a requirement.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Roland JD-800

Oddly enuff...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRS ➑️
Anyone with experience with the micron/miniak ?
If you're considering this direction then i would splash for the full on Ion. The Ion is a dream to program. While the micron and miniak are a bit of a paint a room through a keyhole type of thing. Yes, I own an Ion.
Old 1st March 2014
Deleted User
Oberheim Matrix-1000
πŸ“ Reply