Quantcast
Starcadian - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Starcadian
Old 28th February 2014
GS Community Manager

Starcadian

Bloody love this stuff. Yeah, it's pop, and there are certainly elements of Daft Punk but he's nailed the 80s aesthetic. Anyone know anything about the production?

Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
definitely sounds like they're using some real guitar/bass in there - sampled or not i couldn't say for sure, but they've definitely got that 70s-funk slap bass funk thing going on much like daft punk. listening to their track sgt. tagowski now and I swear this one sounds like it could have been a cover of thriller at times, hahaha. that little funk guitar riff thing and some of the sounds....
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The HE^RT video could very well be the most epic music video I've seen in 20 years.
Old 4th March 2014
Special Guest

🎧 5 years
Thanks folks! I used real guitar and real bass, which then I sliced up post recording. Can't fake slap bass, even if you use top of the line VSTs like Trillian
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Nice to see you here, Starcadian.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Great stuff, and I agree, the HE^RT video is killer!
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcadian ➑️
Thanks folks! I used real guitar and real bass, which then I sliced up post recording. Can't fake slap bass, even if you use top of the line VSTs like Trillian
Well I'll be Sgt Tagowski! Welcome, good sir. Anything else you'd care to share about how you made this record? What's your studio like?
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Great stuff! I love both tunes!
Old 6th March 2014
Special Guest

🎧 5 years
Haha my "studio" consists of a high-end $100 ikea desk, a top of the line mattress and a vintage tube macbook!! Most of the magic is within Ableton, using mostly Zebra2, Sylenth and Ableton's own operator.

For actual hardware, I used a stratocaster VG (sometimes subbed as a bass, with some fine resampling), a microkorg XL and a Yeti usb microphone, drums are pretty much all VST (Addictive Drums are my new favorite, though I used everything from Logic to reason to get what I wanted, sound wise). My main loves (and holes in my pocket) are the symphobia VSTs, I don't know what I'd do without them!

As far as making the record, I can't claim I know what I'm doing, first electronic record ever, really, so my methodology is probably not the most efficient. I always start with melody, get a looped bar down to exactly the sound I want (this acts as a smelling salt to snap me back into inspiration when I lose my stream of thinking), then riff on it on the keyboard to see where the chord progression takes me. That's the part that I obsess over, the chord progression to me is like a narrative arc and should be as scrutinized as a movie script. The quiet/loud dynamics, the resolution, the climax have to be JUST right and I'll buff out the edges of a song for months on end until it's perfect.
I know that leads to irregular releases, but once i'm dead and gone, i'd rather leave an small but impeccable discography, rather than a vast expanse of mediocre half-baked ideas

Working on a WHOLE mess of new stuff as I'm typing this actually and going through those exact motions, but once it's all done, they'll be a doozy!

Thanks again for listening guys!!
Old 20th May 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Haha my "studio" consists of a high-end $100 ikea desk, a top of the line mattress and a vintage tube macbook!! Most of the magic is within Ableton, using mostly Zebra2, Sylenth and Ableton's own operator.

For actual hardware, I used a stratocaster VG (sometimes subbed as a bass, with some fine resampling), a microkorg XL and a Yeti usb microphone, drums are pretty much all VST (Addictive Drums are my new favorite, though I used everything from Logic to reason to get what I wanted, sound wise). My main loves (and holes in my pocket) are the symphobia VSTs, I don't know what I'd do without them!

As far as making the record, I can't claim I know what I'm doing, first electronic record ever, really, so my methodology is probably not the most efficient. I always start with melody, get a looped bar down to exactly the sound I want (this acts as a smelling salt to snap me back into inspiration when I lose my stream of thinking), then riff on it on the keyboard to see where the chord progression takes me. That's the part that I obsess over, the chord progression to me is like a narrative arc and should be as scrutinized as a movie script. The quiet/loud dynamics, the resolution, the climax have to be JUST right and I'll buff out the edges of a song for months on end until it's perfect.
I know that leads to irregular releases, but once i'm dead and gone, i'd rather leave an small but impeccable discography, rather than a vast expanse of mediocre half-baked ideas

Working on a WHOLE mess of new stuff as I'm typing this actually and going through those exact motions, but once it's all done, they'll be a doozy!

wonderful track of yours on the recent vice weekly episode:
https://starcadian.bandcamp.com/track/money
Old 20th May 2017

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Great stuff
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Very nice track and vid!
Old 20th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Brill stuff, I for one wish that more artists obsess over their chords/harmony more.
πŸ“ Reply