Quantcast
Modular build advice? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Modular build advice?
Old 27th February 2014
Modular build advice?

I posted on Muff's because I thought I would try to put together a small, cheap, Modular to cover the sounds that are lacking in the analog portion of my setup (no Moog).

I've attached two pics from Modulargrid, my current and a potential future. Here are the links to the racks.

Current: Current - Eurorack Modular System from Grovestand on ModularGrid
Future?: First system build - Eurorack Modular System from Grovestand on ModularGrid

I kept putting the Doepfer A-108 in there because I'm sure that it can do Moog duties, but I feel confident that the MFB 24dB LPF will be able to cover it (even if it is a lot noisier than I would like!). It has the same transistor ladder design and it should sound the same in theory... in theory...

Anyway, I'm planning on buying MATHS soon because it can do EVERYTHING except filter duties.

The only real mistake that I think I've made so far was the Pittsburgh LFO. I like it... but why didn't they include pitch tracking?!?

Oh by the way, I am using the Minibrute, Monotribe (with CV/Gate cable), Max25, Qunexus, and maybe the MFB 522 with this setup, just in case that impacts your opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Modular build advice?-modular-build-current.jpg   Modular build advice?-modular-build-v1.jpg  
Old 27th February 2014
I accidentally overwrote that build with this one.

I was trying to get closer to a Moog architecture. But it seems more expensive with less versatility to me.

I thought I would post it anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Modular build advice?-modular-moogish-build.jpg  
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're going for the Moog sound, I'd suggest using an STG .mix instead of the Pittsburgh mixer. You'll also probably want to get a linear mixer for mixing control voltages together (e.g. pitch CV and LFO for vibrato). I also wouldn't double up on 2 transistor ladder filters (unless you're just wanting to audition both before selling one later). There's no point in having 2 filters based on the same circuit.
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd ➑️
If you're going for the Moog sound, I'd suggest using an STG .mix instead of the Pittsburgh mixer. You'll also probably want to get a linear mixer for mixing control voltages together (e.g. pitch CV and LFO for vibrato). I also wouldn't double up on 2 transistor ladder filters (unless you're just wanting to audition both before selling one later). There's no point in having 2 filters based on the same circuit.
Thanks!

Very helpful!

All of your advice sounds good and shows me why I like the 1st version that I made with Maths better than a more true to the original setup. That would allow linear, log, or exponential mixing of either CV signals or audio and it would add 2 more sound sources, along with a host of other things that would require a lot of patching and modules to achieve.

I've made another iteration that incorporates your mixer recommendation as well as 3 VCOs + maths, I'm not quite sure how I would work the noise source in, but I guess I could use the mixer for OSC 1, 2 + noise and run OSC 3 into the Input 2 channel of the MFB filter.

This is what it looks like... If only I could hear it...
3 Dixie Moog + Maths - Eurorack Modular System from Grovestand on ModularGrid

If I find that MATHS can fulfill the OSC 2 and OSC 3 requirements then perhaps the other dixies won't be necessary and I could get another filter or oscillator.
Old 28th February 2014
Deleted c40a31f
You might consider going with a power supply that takes up less panel space, like supplies from TipTop or Synthrotek etc, so you'll have more room for MOAR!

Maybe consider the Synth Tech E440 VCF instead of the MFB?
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovestand ➑️
I kept putting the Doepfer A-108 in there because I'm sure that it can do Moog duties, but I feel confident that the MFB 24dB LPF will be able to cover it (even if it is a lot noisier than I would like!). It has the same transistor ladder design and it should sound the same in theory... in theory...
I would strongly recommend the Doepfer A-108 over the MFB. The A-108 has a band pass filter output which would be extremely useful and also outputs for different slopes. Plus the build quality of the Doepfer is superior to the MFB. Also the A-108 has a feedback input. The only advantage of the MFB is that it has two audio inputs. But since you have the STG/Soundlabs mixer, you won't need a filter with multiple audio inputs.

The Macbeth Studio Systems X Series Backend Filter is another excellent choice if you want a classic Moog sound but it is considerably more expensive than the Doepfer A-108.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn ➑️
You might consider going with a power supply that takes up less panel space, like supplies from TipTop or Synthrotek etc, so you'll have more room for MOAR!

Maybe consider the Synth Tech E440 VCF instead of the MFB?
Or another flying bus board and pair of Z-ears so I can have a LOT MOAR?

I already have the PSU And the case is DIY so I can always mount it elsewhere if I need the HP.

I have the MFB and I think that I will stick with that filter until I have a few more modules, then swap it out for the 108. I can also use the Minibrute and Monotribe filter, though the Monotribe has very basic controls.

I haven't heard anyone say don't get MATHS so I think Im still on the right track for March at least...

Thanks!
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
That Pittsburgh LFO module doesn't have reset inputs or CV inputs for frequency. I would strongly recommend a LFO module with reset inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Voltage ➑️
I would strongly recommend the Doepfer A-108 over the MFB. The A-108 has a band pass filter output which would be extremely useful and also outputs for different slopes. Plus the build quality of the Doepfer is superior to the MFB. Also the A-108 has a feedback input. The only advantage of the MFB is that it has two audio inputs. But since you have the STG/Soundlabs mixer, you won't need a filter with multiple audio inputs.

The Macbeth Studio Systems X Series Backend Filter is another excellent choice if you want a classic Moog sound but it is considerably more expensive than the Doepfer A-108.
Cool!

The A-108 keeps calling to me, every time I see it. I haven't found a place to play it, but the demos sound great. Damn Doepfer exclusivity!!!

Oh yes. The Macbeth stuff sounds and looks amazing. I wish I could afford the -R.

It just looks like such a great instrument to play...

But in that price range I would have to consider quite a few alternatives as well... Maybe when I get a raise .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Voltage ➑️
That Pittsburgh LFO module doesn't have reset inputs or CV inputs for frequency. I would strongly recommend a LFO module with reset inputs.
And I wish that I had thought about that when I purchased it.

Unfortunately I was trying the VILFO and was about to buy it... then saw the LFO2 for sale used in the store and went with that instead. It will almost certainly be sold at some point, although I really like the feel of it.

It sounds great when in audible range, I wonder if I could hack in a CV input to control frequency at 1V/oct somewhere? Would make a nice sub-oscillator.

EDIT: In fact between MATHS and LFOs sent from Max4Live to the Qunexus, a dedicated LFO hardly seems necessary.

Double EDIT: If I ditch the LFO2 and the MFB here's an option:

πŸ“ Reply