Prophet 8 or wait?... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 8 or wait?...
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Prophet 8 or wait?...

Hi

I'm just about to order a Prophet 8 poly analog synth, since there seems to be no competition within this price.

Meanwhile, I've noticed that Musikmesse Franfurt 2014 is almost there.
Do you think it's a good idea to wait and see if there's some kind of Poly Evolver 2 (6 voices, please...), a Prophet 6 (half the Prophet 12), etc...?

What are your expectations regarding analog / hybrid poly synths ?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
With the recent release of the Prophet 12, I'd be surprised if a new PolyEvolver is in the works. Sure, they're different (I have both), but I'd be surprised to see something new along those lines from DSI for some time to come.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, there's always going to be SOMETHING new coming out, but I personally wouldn't expect anything and go with whatever is currently out, in the right price range and sounds good.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The closest thing to a polyevolver with 6 voices is a DSI Tempest, i believe.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Are you looking at the Keyboard or the Rack? Analog4/Analog Keys seems to be the closest new poly. I bought a P08 last year. My only regret is not buying the keyboard version. If I had though I bet I'd be wishing I bought the rack. That's just the way it is.

The prophet 12 will probably do most of what the P'08 does (and certainly a lot that it does not do), but it's more expensive and has a lot of features that can be beaten with software, if you're getting it for production purposes.

If you have the money and don't need a keyboard I would get an Omega CODE 8. But for that price you could buy a Jupiter or an A6, or a 4 voice.
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovestand ➑️
Are you looking at the Keyboard or the Rack? Analog4/Analog Keys seems to be the closest new poly. I bought one last year. My only regret is not buying the keyboard version. If I had though I bet I'd be wishing I bought the rack. That's just the way it is.

The prophet 12 will probably do most of what the P'08 does (and certainly a lot that it does not do), but it's more expensive and has a lot of features that can be beaten with software, if you're getting it for production purposes.

If you have the money and don't need a keyboard I would get an Omega CODE 8. But for that price you could buy a Jupiter or an A6, or a 4 voice.
the analog 4 seems to have a lot of sequencer features I won't use... and it has only 4 voices.

and I need a keyboard.

for me, the best would be a Poly Evolver with 6 voices.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao ➑️
the analog 4 seems to have a lot of sequencer features I won't use... and it has only 4 voices.

and I need a keyboard.

for me, the best would be a Poly Evolver with 6 voices.
Sorry, I meant to say that I bought a Prophet 08 last year, not an analog 4.

You could go for the Poly Evolver Keyboard + Poly Evolver Rack, but that is a pricey alternative!

If you don't mind a little digital, then why not save for the P'12?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
In that price range the Prophet 08 is still pretty much the only game in town. It gets a lot of criticism, but honestly it's a really decent synth.

I imagine the only other route would be to poly-chain two Tetr4s. The advantage here is the sub oscs and feedback.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➑️
In that price range the Prophet 08 is still pretty much the only game in town. It gets a lot of criticism, but honestly it's a really decent synth.

I imagine the only other route would be to poly-chain two Tetr4s. The advantage here is the sub oscs and feedback.
no keyboard and no easy programming...
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The only solution is to never buy anything and keep waiting for the latest and greatest that'll never arrive.

Waiting for the Messe: prudent. Waiting for the Messe, seeing the new device you really want, then having to wait 4 more months until they've got it actually ready for shipping: frustrating. Waiting for next Winter NAMM: foolish.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Yes, chase something that interests you and have fun with it, life'll pass you by otherwise!
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just buy the P'08. It's a great synth, worth the money and isn't about to go obsolete any time soon.
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao ➑️
no keyboard and no easy programming...
Have you heard of a synth called Mopho X4?
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan ➑️
Just buy the P'08. It's a great synth, worth the money and isn't about to go obsolete any time soon.
+1000
πŸ“ Reply