Quantcast
How should Korg improve the Arp Odyssey? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How should Korg improve the Arp Odyssey?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How should Korg improve the Arp Odyssey?

Not at all?

Replace PPC with wheels?

Add midi?

I'd like a switch to turn off the duophony. It can make fluid leads difficult.

I like PPC for mod, but I'd prefer a single button for pitch to create a more centered vibrato.

Velocity and aftertouch would be nice.

What else? Presets? Autotune?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Replace the AR EG with an ADSR.
Old 27th February 2014

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
1) MIDI and

2) patch memory (and please, let's have at least 128 user locations).

This will add to the price, but without these features, huge numbers of people will ignore it. Lots of musicians and composers rely on MIDI to do sequencing, and patch memory is a must for most anyone playing in a band (not to mention home studio people like me who want to be able to store a cool sound, once they program one. Or a hundred).

I played an Odyssey MKIII in a band back in the late 70's - early 80's. With no patch memory on it (or my other keyboards) the singer often had to stall between songs while I set up my keys for the next tune. One Oberheim came out with the OB-1, with its EIGHT user memory locations, I got one of those, and used it for 75% of my synth leads after that. I liked the sound of the Odyssey better, but the OB-1 was just really handy on stage. And -

3) Onboard effects, with at least reverb and delay. I am 95% sure this won't happen, but I can dream, can't I?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If any improvements don't keep it from sounding like the original Odyssey, I'm all for them. Otherwise any tinkering would most likely piss a lot of people off.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I love the sound of the odyssey. Really great synth.

If the reissue had midi and patch memory it would be hugely more convenient. Otherwise I'd probably just get a vintage odyssey.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I hope they focus on getting the original sound (and looks) and not on the 'improvements'. Midi would be enough.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Definitely patch memory. Probably won't happen.

Eight voices of polyphony (just kidding). But definitely MIDI.

Physically, it would be nice if they made the case less deep.

I also hope they'll go with a 4-pole ladder type VCF -- something close to the model 4035 filter that Moog originally wanted to sue them over -- and *not* the 4075 that came later or the 2-pole 4023 filter used in the Mark I.

For the look and feel, I like the Mark III (black and orange) over I and II.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'd like to integrate Odysey with my euroracs !!!
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
+1 with MIDI. I'm OK if it doesn't have Patch memory - if it does, bonus, if it doesn't - no sleep lost.

I'm hoping they'll keep these inputs and outputs:

and these are a good idea:

Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Octave switches instead of the horrible coarse tuning slider. Or at least make it a rotary pot.

No LFO hard reset on any new note played.

ADSR instead of the horrid AR envelope. Or at least give it a decent attack curve.

No 'latency' on the keyboard. The stock Odyssey has a small delay applied to every new note trigger. I'm guessing that the new keyboard will be digitally scanned so this will probably moot.

Aftertouch.

Oh, and make it full size please.

Tony
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabGear ➑️
Replace the AR EG with an ADSR.
I completely disagree, nearly 100% of the synths out there have ADSR, it's time for something different. Changing this would change the sound of the odyssey.

Personally I only want to see a solid build, the faders look flimsy to me.

(I've not played a real odyssey)
Old 27th February 2014
LWG
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Re: How should Korg improve the Arp Odyssey?

Hello!

Although the addition of patch memory would be nice on such a versatile machine, making the Odyssey processor-based in order to handle scanning, etc. would require almost a complete redesign of the main board/layout etc. Therefore, the addition of patch memory within the current context is imo. not likely to happen.

Assuming the version currently in development will be a fairly accurate replica of the original, a couple of changes could be:

1) Lose the 3080-based vca. If you must use a chip, THAT and others make vca's that will allow a faithful reproduction of the Odysseys original sound with better performance than the CA3080.
Originally, using the 3080-based vca shaved enough cost off the machine, that it made possible a more effective price/size differential between the Odyssey and the 2600.

2) Improve the slider quality. The stock sliders should be upgraded to a quality commensurate with the illuminated units by some diyers and synth techs.
The new ones need not be illuminated, just more durable and accurate than the originals.
If tuning slider quality/accuracy is improved, octave switches are not as pertinent.

3) Lastly, retain a linear power supply. I suspect, if this reissue is a cost-cutting venture, there is a good chance they will substitute a cheap switching supply in place of the original.

*If you wanted to get conservatively fancy, you could make the waveform selector switches in the mixer section, three position, with the middle position being a simultaneous saw/pulse output. Since the Odyssey's ring mod is binary and only works with square wave, this mix option forces the ring mod to work while the sawtooth wave is present, allowing more flexible initial tonal options without having to add additional wave shaping components to the vco.

Oh! Full scale size. Stop toyifying the instrument

Regards,

-L
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just add MIDI, keep it 1:1 ratio, filter rev switch... done
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
Just add MIDI, keep it 1:1 ratio, filter rev switch... done
This.

Stephen
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ha ha. No, this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd ➑️
1) 2) patch memory (and please, let's have at least 128 user locations).

This will add to the price, but without these features, huge numbers of people will ignore it. Lots of musicians and composers rely on MIDI to do sequencing, and patch memory is a must for most anyone playing in a band (not to mention home studio people like me who want to be able to store a cool sound, once they program one. Or a hundred).

I played an Odyssey MKIII in a band back in the late 70's - early 80's. With no patch memory on it (or my other keyboards) the singer often had to stall between songs while I set up my keys for the next tune. One Oberheim came out with the OB-1, with its EIGHT user memory locations, I got one of those, and used it for 75% of my synth leads after that. I liked the sound of the Odyssey better, but the OB-1 was just really handy on stage. And -
Great exposition of why patch memory is so important. I'm a live player too! Don't expect we'll get it though - and I do appreciate how it would "interfere" with the way the synth is built. Oh well… .

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
fix the high-pass design error is all i would want
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Make it polyphonic ^_^
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthbuilder ➑️
Octave switches instead of the horrible coarse tuning slider. Or at least make it a rotary pot.
Exactly, and my main complaint with the Odyssey.

Then, improve/change/redesign the pitch bender. Is the Clavia Nord Lead stick patented that nobody else is making something similar?

Aftertouch would be nice. Arturia can do it with Miniburte then let's hope Korg can too (not holding my breath though).

Memories? Even something like what's available on the SubPhatty would be nice.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's a dead serious one:

MAKE THE GLIDE CONTROL EFFECTIVE ON THE CV / GATE INPUTS!

Sorry to shout but Korg need to hear that one. I have an Axxe and the glide control is inactive when controlling it over CV. Very frustrating! I guess the lag processor comes after the keyboard generated CV but before the external CV input?
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
fix the high-pass design error is all i would want
Lowpass filter had an error, not highpass.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by keybdwizrd ➑️
This will add to the price, but without these features, huge numbers of people will ignore it.
People aren't ignoring other memoryless monos. Yes, those have MIDI but I don't see MIDI as a big hurdle that'll drastically change the synth.

Quote:
3) Onboard effects, with at least reverb and delay. I am 95% sure this won't happen, but I can dream, can't I?
Why?

On-board effects are almost always worse than outboard effects, and yes, not everyone has a separate FX unit for every synth, but then there's software, which is also better than on-board.

With onboard FX you might as well add a digital/USB to save on the number of conversion steps.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Keep the Arp Odyssey original.

By getting some ideas than making a poll and other various ways of "how they do that" ha. It would be Arp Odyssey "something". Go back to tradition and go to Massachusetts?, try to get the original crew back with some new talent and sound designers. Arp instruments again.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
No, AFAIK the lowpass had a wrongly specced component that made the maximum cutoff frequency around 12 kHz, so you could never get a raw oscillator sound, it would always shave the top end off. That's not highpassing.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As mentioned in the main thread both filters have problems. A version of the low pass filter (not all of them) caused it to filter out frequencies above 12k even wide open. The problem with the high pass is that with the slider set to not filter at all it was still removing low end from the signal, which is why there is a "hi pass filter bypass switch" mod that some people do which completely removes the hi pass filter from the signal path if you're not using it.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I think adding MIDI and USB would be nice.

In terms of synth architecture, the switch to change filters and replacing the AD for an ADSR would be the only changes I'd do.

Memories would be useful but I think it would add too much to the cost to be worth it.
It's not a very complicated synth, so I don't think that's really a necessity.

Adding effects as suggested before is definitely a no to me.
It will add to the cost and I know I'll prefer using the external effects I have, so don't put any and keep the price down.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
MIDI
Patch storage
Make it smaller, the originals are way too big.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
My dream ARP Odyssey would have...

MIDI
Patch memory
Pitch Bend & Mod Wheels
Aftertouch
Arpeggiator, Trill mode and Interval write (from the ARP Quadra)
Individual portamento control for each oscillator (from the ARP Quadra)
Switchable 4023, 4035, 4075 filter
Maybe an extra half octave of keys (like the Minimoog)
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Include hundreds of dubstep wobble presets.
Old 27th February 2014
SEED78
mod wheel? more of a question than a demand...

Korg got things right with their MS20mini, so this is a exciting prospect - anyone seen a price yet, or did I miss that?
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Keep the Odyssey the Odyssey. Adding stuff to it (other than MIDI, switchable filters and maybe a bug fix or three) will make it non-authentic.

THEN release another synth based on the Odyssey design with all the modern conveniences like patch memory, real pitch/mod wheels, better knobs, etc. Give it a new look and a new name, since it's basically a new synth. Then (almost) everyone can be happy. How about this, combine the MS20 guts with Odyssey guts to make a ModySsey-20 with 4 oscillators, 3 filters, etc.
πŸ“ Reply