Quantcast
How should Korg improve the Arp Odyssey? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How should Korg improve the Arp Odyssey?
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Mars ➑️
MIDI, patch memory and velocity. That would do it for me.

If it doesn't have these features I am not going to buy it.
Same here, but add ability to assign aftertouch to at least mod depth or filter cutoff.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm in the camp of just add simple midi like the MS20 mini. Ok, maybe have other channel options. I don't know enough about the original in that I never owned/played one, but obvious defaults/build quality issues of the original could be improved upon (sliders). I'm personally not interested in patch memory etc. just so prices can be lower.

Someone else mentioned having two models. Perhaps a strictly original remake (but perhaps with mini keys) to keep prices down, and a greatly expanded upon version (patch memory, lots of functional improvements a la what moog did with the voyager). And I think this would be a good idea. The latter may be almost twice as expensive, but for many that would be ok.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Add a scatter knob.
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Touch Faders = Ridiculously useless (lacking tactile feedback)

Patch Memory = Buy a used SE ATC-X with 2600 board or cart and leave the Odyssey to those who can actually program a rudimentary analog monosynth and surf presets until your hearts content.

Daw Integration = LMAO, if you want to stare at a screen so badly then be my guest, but some of us prefer to use musical instruments to make music. I have a different workflow and room at my house for when I want to do my taxes.

MOOOG Ladder Filter = Ubiguitous and banal. Buy a MOOOG. OTA filters are thin on the ground. Play Lucky Man on your MOOOG.

SMD = Labor is the first cost to cut, and future landfill is what we get, but hey that's the price of progress. Trendtoys are never built to last.

Second ADSR = Less versatile if you actually know what AR's are useful for.

Mini Keys = Insulting and likely.

Slew Inline with external control VS. Post Keyboard = YES, WHY DO OLD MONOS DO THIS?

PPC = Fine, but pitchbend via midi is a pretty basic expectation.

Velocity, Aftertouch = Only if I can turn it off. It's a Voltage controlled synthesizer not Piano or Bassoon. NO and NO.

We can only dream.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
1. Mk III Black and Orange or optional
2. Flush side panel/top panel
3. Non-overhung keys
4. A440 tuner (Can't believe they left it off the Voyager. So handy on the Model D. Original Oddy badly needed this feature but it was added to GForce Oddity.)
5. The wider slider caps built in a robust manner.
6. 4072 filter correction.

then

Take my money
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It would be great if they added modulation options for the High Pass Filter. I wish you could modulate the HPF using the envelopes, LFO, S+H etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I say ....do nothing to improve it........Isn't it supposed to be a replica?

As soon as you start to entertain the plethora of "improvements" ( AKA modifications) you deviate from the intent of the "replica"...Korg wouldn't be "replicating" the Oddy if it hadn't achieved significant recognition in it's own era. Leave the F6888in( thing alone.

Lets see what they crank out.....The most critical issues are going to be about the sound. That's where the rubber truly will meet the road. Features, bells and whistles, etc. are superficial fuzz. The reason anyone in their right mind purchases an original ARP Odyssey is not about anything else but that sound.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think they could improve it (in relation to their last consumer monosynth) with proper availability upon release. They should have a ballpark figure about how many units they'll push from their success with the MS-20. That, and I don't think people could take a prolonged delay after such an early announcement.
In short, September not December, please!
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'd love to see rack versions of their analogs. If they could be made to respond to midi cc:s you wouldn't need any knobs, just a G2 engine/Waldorf AFB 16 filterbank format... As a gigging musician, I'd value the format a lot, and many of my producer and friends claim that they want analog synths with VST integration...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMUL8ER ➑️
Patch Memory = Buy a used SE ATC-X with 2600 board or cart and leave the Odyssey to those who can actually program a rudimentary analog monosynth and surf presets until your hearts content.
You're a rude person aren't you?

I recognise that patch memories are unlikely to be included but myself and other gigging, live playing musicians have already explained why memories would be massively useful in the live context.

I'm a capable programmer with 35 years experience behind me. I have no desire to surf presets and your assertion that those that are asking for memories are incapable of programming is facile and ignorant.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Keep it simple and allow user modifications.
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➑️
I say ....do nothing to improve it........Isn't it supposed to be a replica?

As soon as you start to entertain the plethora of "improvements" ( AKA modifications) you deviate from the intent of the "replica"...Korg wouldn't be "replicating" the Oddy if it hadn't achieved significant recognition in it's own era. Leave the F6888in( thing alone.
Depends on how purist you want to be about it. When I put a deposit down on the Taurus 3 I had no idea what it was going to be like - except that they were going to match the analogue circuitry. Turns out the chassis is nothing like a Taurus 1 - in my view it looks better and is better built (no dirty pedals bad design here). They also managed to add (digitally) an LFO, an arp, velocity and patch memories without compromising the circuit or sound, they're completely separate. The analogue path remains intact and original (but in SMT form of course). You can just leave them alone if you want the Taurus 1 sound - but in reality they're very useful.

As many have said the reality is probably going to be along the lines of the MS-20 re-issue, with MIDI and the switchable filters being he only additions, plus some filter fixes and more responsive PPC in the design. I'm happy with that, but if they added, say, an extra vibrato-dedicated LFO digitally that sat outside the analogue circuit and could be ignored by purists would that be such a hardship (come on, even they'd use it)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknobeam ➑️
Lets see what they crank out.....The most critical issues are going to be about the sound. That's where the rubber truly will meet the road. Features, bells and whistles, etc. are superficial fuzz. The reason anyone in their right mind purchases an original ARP Odyssey is not about anything else but that sound.
Completely agree - which is why I find it odd that so many Odysseys are coming up on sale. I can only assume those people bought it for the resale value, not the sound, as we've yet to hear the Korg version.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think that midi and patch memory are great conveniences I'd enjoy from a new odyssey. That doesn't have to detract in the sound. If I want to be a purist I can get the original.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd tell them to redesign and reorder the complete UI of the synth, the odyssey sounds fantastic but by god is it a pain to program compared to a minimoog.

Also, chuck a digital Wavetable LFO in there!
Deleted 8dcaace
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz ➑️
I'd tell them to redesign and reorder the complete UI of the synth, the odyssey sounds fantastic but by god is it a pain to program compared to a minimoog.
That might be taking it a bit far from replica! heh I quite like the design, although a slider labelled volume might end ARP's VCA Gain slider drone confusion that some had (Joe Zawinul, I'm looking at you).

Quote:
Also, chuck a digital Wavetable LFO in there!
Now that might be going too far even for me.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Now that I'm thinking of it, I think the ultimate improvement on the odyssey in to make it into a semi modular patch synth
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
On the other hand that UI leads to very different patches/results than with the "classic" minimoog, which is a big plus I think!
Old 2nd May 2014
Nrt
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I prefer white panel version. I had white one, but sold it by mistake when I got 2600, sigh...

Preset memory not needed, just midi is enough. Keep the price low.
Additional keyboard less Desktop version would be nice, maybe.

Btw, 2600 reissue in 2015? I think they can do it if they want to.
Then please reissue EMS.
Old 2nd May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Make more robust sliders maybe like the plastic carbon they make iPad out of.
Old 2nd May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
polychain midi out(also implies it would have midi)
Old 5th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Alright...

I'm not in the keep it authentic camp. Authentic ARP Odysseys already exist - they're called ARP Odysseys.

So while I could dream up a stupidly long list, keeping it to only three (in this order) that I believe are feasible:

1. MIDI with selectable channel

2. ADSR - I don't understand the resistance to this ... if you want AR keep S full up.

3. . . meh, I'm happy with those two.
Old 5th May 2014 | Show parent
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrt ➑️
Then please reissue EMS.
this first please - and bring it in under 1k!
Old 6th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 ➑️
this first please - and bring it in under 1k!
Old 6th May 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The prototype looked almost identical to a MK II 3 white button version with what appeared to be a single additional knob added - which suggests a more traditional reissue approach rather than an update approach.
πŸ“ Reply